Author Topic: KC Mate Select  (Read 7489 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: KC Mate Select
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »
Good tool - 2 of mine come up with a co-efficient of 0% and the highest at 6.2% - still well below the breed average.  Would definately use the potential stud matches in the future!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Loes

• Limited Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »
Nice: But what of the imported cockers or children of imported cockers? Sometimes they calculate the COI on only three generations, this is not very accurate.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
The percentage is a strange thing, although I know it's not good to be high but then a randomly bred dog can have a very low one too.
Good for the health test results thou!

I don't think it's strange I think it's really interesting - have been checking the inbreeding co-efficients of some very popular sires and some are really high....as suspected.   

If I had the choice I would avoid a dog with a very high co-efficient - although health testing covers a lot of genetic issues I know of one working cocker line that may have possible heart problems so any in-breeding would amplify that issue  :-\

Just because a dog may not have the most elite of names in their pedigree doesn't mean that's it's not a healthy specimen.  To be honest I'd prefer a dog not to be the product of line or in-breeding  :-\

Just tried my 2 and the resulting puppies would be 1.7% :banana:
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »
Have had a go on scoring my own doglets!
Our working cocker Connie scored 0.0,her son Buster is 8.1  :o
Bella (show type) scored 0.6,her daughters scored the following:
Tess 0.7,Holly 1.9 & Cody 1.6

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »
Well Bob is 4.8 is that good or bad

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »
Nice: But what of the imported cockers or children of imported cockers? Sometimes they calculate the COI on only three generations, this is not very accurate.

Of course it has it's limitations at the moment re imported dogs but that doesn't mean it's not a useful tool, especially for the many breeders without any imported dogs in their lines.

I'm sure there are improvements to be made - the system is new after all but it's something a lot of other countries don't have, so for once a thumbs up to the KC :shades:
Jane

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »

Ah but you've got to take into account that the system can't calculate accurate COIs for imported dogs (usually the KC only has a 3 generation pedigree to go on for these and you need many more generations to get a true figure). We have the same problem with our own imported girl :blink:
Jane

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »

Ah but you've got to take into account that the system can't calculate accurate COIs for imported dogs (usually the KC only has a 3 generation pedigree to go on for these and you need many more generations to get a true figure). We have the same problem with our own imported girl :blink:

My boy has a 5 generation pedigree
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »
My boy has a 5 generation pedigree

We have a 5 gen pedigree for our girl too but her official import pedigree from the AKC only had 3 gens, as seems to be common for import pedigrees from other KCs. It's what's entered on the KC database rather than what we have at home from the breeder etc
Jane

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
It is a good tool but it's only one tool out of a large tool-box for you to use if you intend breeding  ;)

Some say that it's not particularly good and you should go back many more generations for an accurate view of COI's (ie 30 gens)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 05:19:18 PM »
Some say that it's not particularly good and you should go back many more generations for an accurate view of COI's (ie 30 gens)

The KC didn't start computerising their records until the early 1980's so that's why it's not been possible to go back further than the existing database when calculating the COI's. It's not a perfect system but it's better than anything we've had access to before which can only be a good thing ;)

Jane

Offline Loes

• Limited Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »
I think it is a good thing to be aware of the COI, it would be beter if the KC would add some kind of accuracy to the COI.

But to be honest, I am just jealous that we don't have such an advanced breeding-program in the Netherlands.  :005:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »
Alfie and Meg's ( :005:) combined coefficient is 5.7%. Ahhh bless them ;) :005:
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
Freya is 16.1%  :-\

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 04:58:58 PM »
My Ginny works out at 2.8% on the KC Website, but my own database where I can go back 10 generations it's only 0.56% so I'm a bit confused by it all  ph34r