Author Topic: Considering breeding  (Read 8075 times)

Offline black taz

Re: Considering breeding
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »
personally, i think people are falling "out of love" with expensive crossbreeds.

If i was to get a cockerpoo, i would go for a 5th + generation one rather than a first cross, just so that the breeder can give me more information about their temperament, etc.   that having been said, i guess there are people out there who would go for a 1st generation one.

i would have dearly loved to have bred from my lab (with another lab) but with all the unwanted dogs out there, no experience, and risks to her decided against it and had her spayed.

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
Again no not money their is no money in breeding even pedigree breeding their is no money to be made if it done to standered and properly.

I want a cockerpoo still but i wasnt happy paying the money that some cockerpoo breeders were asking even if they were second generation some were charging £600 or more for a crossbreed! Plus their wasnt a lot variety in colour to choose from with the cros most produced were solid black or black with white spot on chest.

If I did go for said cross colour is something id look into.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
You'd be very limited with colours breeding with a poodle, they only come in solid colours so a 'particolour' wouldn't be possible- both parents must carry the gene, otherwise it is not possible ;)
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 01:56:29 PM »
Poodles are one of the most intelegent breeds!

my reasons for cross breeding, I like the cockerpoo mix but I found considering they were a cross breed that they were being sold for far too much im sure most hadnt had the propper tests or the years of breeding experience that pedigre breeders do. I had originally looking into getting a cross before i considered a pedigree but like with the cockerpoo found it was profit gaining business making designer dogs that were mongeralls so then looked into pedigree dogs and thats how the family and I settled on a cocker spaniel the parents had experience with spaniels and my dad liked cockers or springers that what we liked more.

They are a lot of money and I think I would have justify a good price if i did decide to go into breeding the cocker cross I wouldnt breed without insuring the stud was clear of health problems as i know my pup is ^^

id also have to do the explaining to potential owners that dogs require dedication of care and that what they will have will be a cross breed i think of most people new a designer dog was not a pedigre to begin with they probably wouldnt be as popular.

So are you wanting to breed your own litter of cocker x poodles rather than pay the ridiculous prices that some of them are being sold for? Breeding a litter (if done correctly) will cost you a lot more than an overpriced puppy, financially & emotionally!  I'm not suggesting you do go and buy an overpriced puppy as you don't want to encourage these people who purely breed for profit, but maybe you should just set about trying to find one that is priced accordingly, parents health tested etc? It might take a while (a bit like me and my sable cocker  :005: ) but seeing as you can't breed from your pup for a long while yet, you've got plenty of time  ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
You still haven't answered the question "How do you know your puppy has no health problems???"
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »

If i was to get a cockerpoo, i would go for a 5th + generation one rather than a first cross, just so that the breeder can give me more information about their temperament, etc.  

If I remember correctly 5th gen doesn't produce anything more consistently and possibly even less so than first generation cross pups. There was a very interesting article Helen posted a while ago written by the man that started all this with the 'Labradoodle'. Today, years on, he absolutely regrets trying the experiment he did and all the publicity that went with it as the fall out has been so massive and has escalated out of control producing along the way 1000's of dogs with no real benefit or ability for the purpose they were bred and a lot with difficult temperaments, character traits as pets etc etc...

I'll see if I can find it as it would be interesting for the OP to read :D

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
helen & jarvis x

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »
She had health test before she left and we had her at the vets recently and has been clear of health problems the breeders had her tested for the cocker health problems aand again she is clear, off the top of my head i can't remember what they were o.0''

Again the labradoodle was another mix created for assisted dog service

Yeah I want to breed my own knowing that they have been bred me i will know they have been cared for propperly had the tests health tests ect and I can sell them for a price I feel fair and justified. most cockerpoos are really overpriced and i dout they have had any rea; consideration were they will go when their sold or the propper tests associated with the breed/cross It will still be expensive but id rather put the money in knowing what I will get will be what I have bred.

Id imagine no matter how long they have been crossed they will still be a cross untill someone makes a standered breed or accepts them into the kennel club.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
She had health test before she left and we had her at the vets recently and has been clear of health problems the breeders had her tested for the cocker health problems aand again she is clear, off the top of my head i can't remember what they were o.0''

Again the labradoodle was another mix created for assisted dog service

Yeah I want to breed my own knowing that they have been bred me i will know they have been cared for propperly had the tests health tests ect and I can sell them for a price I feel fair and justified. most cockerpoos are really overpriced and i dout they have had any rea; consideration were they will go when their sold or the propper tests associated with the breed/cross It will still be expensive but id rather put the money in knowing what I will get will be what I have bred.

Id imagine no matter how long they have been crossed they will still be a cross untill someone makes a standered breed or accepts them into the kennel club.

I am amazed that you have a cocker puppy and do not know what health tests have been done. I doubt very much that the breeder had tests for PRA and FN done on a puppy. These tests are imperative if you are going to breed from you girl.
The reason these terrible diseases exist is through people breeding their dogs willy nilly with no thought for the dogs or offspring. >:D

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »

Do you mean the breeder DNA tested the litter for PRA & FN? If so, you should have got all the paperwork to show this. When health testing is mentioned, it's not referring to having a check up at the vets - it's about the DNA testing, eye testing, hip scoring etc. And if the breeder did go to the lengths to health test the litter, then I would imagine she'd be a bit ticked off to say the least at the thought of one of her pups being deliberately mated to a poodle.  Does your pup have any breeding endorsements on her pedigree?
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
Did your breeder not put any endorsements on your pup?  Most good show cocker breeders do to prevent exactly this kind of breeding happening with their offspring  :-\

Seriously - she's just a baby at the moment!  What makes you think at this early age that she's a good enough dog to breed from?  I think you should really think about what you're saying on this thread because it just smacks of money making and playing at breeding which really aren't reasons to breed from your dog.

At the moment your posts show you find it hard to cope with her puppy habits - why not concentrate on making her a well trained and confident dog before you even consider anything else...

posted at the same time as *jay*   ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »

Sorry don't want to be rude.   Read  your post and I think words fail me.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 02:49:50 PM »
Did your breeder not put any endorsements on your pup?  Most good show cocker breeders do to prevent exactly this kind of breeding happening with their offspring  :-\

But they won't matter if monstersspaniel is thinking of breeding crossbreeds, the pups won't be registered anyway :-\
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »

Sorry don't want to be rude.   Read  your post and I think words fail me.

I have just caught up with this thread and although I haven't a clue about breeding (and so happily leave it to those who do), this thread has made me cross

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »

But they won't matter if monstersspaniel is thinking of breeding crossbreeds, the pups won't be registered anyway :-\

That does not make it right :huh: