Author Topic: Considering breeding  (Read 8073 times)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: Considering breeding
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2011, 03:56:13 PM »
When I hear of the heartbreak that some breeders go through - culminating in losing their bitches and/or pups - I find it hard to believe that anyone would lightly consider 'trying it out'  :huh:

There are so many things that could go wrong  :-\

I believe in breeding to improve a breed so cannot agree with your motives to breed at all I'm afraid  :-\
i havent read through all of the threads, but ive just had an email from Baileys breeder asking how he is, i replied and said hes great etc, and can i have a pic of his sire, anyway she emailed me a note saying that she was pleased we are still so happy with him, and then went on to tell me she lost a whole litter and considered stopping breeding because she felt so bad,  :'( , i cant believe the original poster wants to "try it out" ,sorry but monsterspaniel you really should seriously think about the consequences for the pups and your bitch
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
Progressive Retinal Atrophy is PRA, it is an eye condition that will lead to blindness.
Familial Nephropathy is FN, it leads to chronic kidney failure between the ages of 6mnth to 2 years.
Both these diseases are hereditry so it is imperative to test both dogs prior to mating.

It costs about £250 for each dog.Puppies would be hereditry clear if born from 2 clear parents
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
Hi Pippa  ;)
 I understand your way of thinking & did very similar to what you are thinking 4 years ago but my advice would be to do your homework properly , get as much advice as you can, get to know other more experienced breeders but even then, concider very carefully your reasons for breeding from your bitch.
Please meet my Tinker...

She was one of the pups from the litter I bred from my bitch Purdey. She isn't a cross breed but pure bred with a pretty good pedigree. I did all my homework & had the advice & support of long standing breeders. Despite the possibly problems during pregnancy, whelp & with the litter when they are born (still birth, bitch needing Cesarean, cleft palates, hermaphrodites, incomplete anus& more) we decided to go ahead & have a litter in the hope we would have an orange roan girl to keep & show. In the litter of 9, we did indeed have an orange/white bitch, who we have also kept called Livie & a lovely girl she is too  :luv:
However Tinker & one of her litter brothers were born with microphthalmia - a condition where the eyes don't develop properly & Tinker had the most severe from of it  :'(  She is blind but also had an elongated soft palate, nasal deformities & has horrendous trouble breathing at times. In December last year she went to the vets to have one eye removed (when I say eye- it wasn't an eye as you imagine but just a red mass) the palate on the roof of her mouth adjusted & spayed at the same time. None of Tinkers treatment is covered under insurance as she born with it (existing conditions) & the OP cost nearly £1000.
She is a beautiful awesome little character & I can't regret for a moment what I did & chose not to have her PTS as was offered BUT there are conditions & situations that you nor I have any control over & is always a possibility when breeding. You need to be aware & prepared for so many eventualities -  it really isn't something to do on a whim or because you think 'it would be nice to do'.
Peoples opinions on the forum are strong but for all the right reasons, with the welfare & wellbeing of the breed as paramount  - please don't be angry or upset if opinions aren't what you wanted to hear - it is a emotive subject & one thats is important for you to listen & learn from, if you should choose to continue down the breeding route  ;)
best wishes
Lindsey x

Such a well written post :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »
Please, watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLIPnToF1To

This is what can happen to unwanted dogs. IMO you'd be better of putting your research into ways that you can help the existing mongrols in rescue become more desirable. After all, if you're concern is about the pricing of them, rescues represent a bargain!

I'm not against first time breeders, every one has to start somewhere and I suppose if you're going to do something wrong at least do it right so good for asking, but your questions concern colours, and what breeds would be a good idea, like it's just bit of fun to 'see what happens'.  You should be serious about breeding not about experimenting. It's almost coming off like a God complex of creating something new and different. You should be first researching the process.

You sound very young/immature so i'm going to put it in such a way. If someone came to you with box, their experiment, said, 'put your hand in and pull something out. It could be the world's greatest puppy and a cheque for £1000 or it could be a death warrant for your dog, a deaf, blind puppy, a bill for £3000 and 2 months hard labour, or anywhere in between, the odds are 20/1' What would you do?

Of course all breeding has risks but breeding in the correct way makes these odds much more favourable. Espically as a first time breeder your designs (cross breeding/basing on colour/not understanding health testing) increase the odds of problems 100x. No matter what there will always be a huge unknown in cross breeding even if all else is good.

If you want to think about breeding i'm not going to criticise you, i'm sure we've all done it, I know I have, but get the silly ideas out of your head and start with the simple basics, not colours and compatabile breeds but the process from start to finish of breeding 2 healthy, health tested dogs.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 04:35:09 PM »
I think personally you have had some really really good advice, particularly from Lindsey, Bluegirl and Eve and if that was me I would read those posts over a few times. People haven't commented to spoil your day but just with a genuine concern for your dog and future pups. If you read this thread and ignore the advice I'm sorry but you are very silly.

Absolutely  ;)

Yes thank you agreed ^^

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »
Ok and on that good note, I'll close this as I'm sure Pippa has now been given plenty to think about.
Jane