Author Topic: Nikon 1 J1 v Nikon D90....  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Choc-Chip

Nikon 1 J1 v Nikon D90....
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
Hi Guys/Girls,

Well I have been thinking about getting a much better camera for a while now and I think I have just persuaded OH that one of the above would be a great Christmas prezzi for me :)

Not sure which one though. We borrowed his brothers D90 last year and got some great shots of the dogs but Nikon have bought out the J1 which is only a compact but has interchangeable lenses.

It's supposed to capture images before you've even fully pressed the shutter and looks very swish. I've also been told by a couple of camera fanatics that it is THE new camera to have.

Just wondered if anyone on here has either of these or any preferences/advice on which one would be better....

Thanks in advance,
Emma x

Offline seaangler

Re: Nikon 1 J1 v Nikon D90....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
I would go for the Nikon 1 J1...But a lot of mony for a camera that other cheaper ones can still do jest as good....My opinion only...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »
Thanks Seaangler,

Which others would you recommend that would be just as good as the J1.

It doesn't have to necessarily be a Nikon, I just love the look of the J1 but if there are other equivalents this may be an option.

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
The Nikon D90 is discontinued but still selling it of. The D7000 is the nearest equivalent and a big upgrade on the D90.

The Canon 600d is a beautiful camera as it's predecessor 550d which is still in production, I think.

The Nikon J1 looks a fine camera but and a big but is the lack of optical viewfinder. The reason I say this is I have the Sony Nex5 which is a lovely camera but in certain light conditions it is hard to see the subject in the screen. Hmm. I believe this is a typical problem with this type of camera.  >:(

The Sony Nex are fine cameras but have emount lenses and are not yet made by third parties. And are sooo expensive.

What is certain is you will be driven NUTS with opinions. There are so many good cameras out there and everybody will have their favourite cameras.  :lol2:

I'm saving for the Sony A77 but then I look at the Canon or Nikon dslr equivalents and can't make up my mind.  :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:47:01 AM »
No optical viewfinder will kill me - I can't stand looking at the screen at the back of a camera!  Give me a viewfinder any day  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:24:57 AM »
No optical viewfinder will kill me - I can't stand looking at the screen at the back of a camera!  Give me a viewfinder any day  ;)

Totally agree  :D

Offline seaangler

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:48:06 AM »

...The View finder is ideal for more professional kinda work...No go good in a crowd to look through a view finder when you can see the big screen by holding it up above people heads(for far better shots)...And with most reflex camera(the bigger type of camera you have the duel option of viewfinder and screen)But being a balkier camera.... :D

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
No optical viewfinder will kill me - I can't stand looking at the screen at the back of a camera!  Give me a viewfinder any day  ;)
Have to agree with this.
My eyesight is not that good and need a camera with a viewfinder where you can change the diopter setting.
I also prefer to have a camera to my eye rather than hold it at arm's length.  ;)

The D90 is a classic camera and has stood the test of time.  There will always be newer models of cameras that fanatics have to have.  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »
I'd go for the D90 every time.  Here's a review  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

It's a more versatile camera, and you see through the lens rather than rely on an LCD screen that is particularly poor in bright sunlight.

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
Thank you for all your replies. Sounds like the D90 is going to be better then. A classic SLR camera with many features that will hopefully help me take some great photos. I think the J1 looks cool but doesn't seem to have as many features as the D90 and at the end of the day it's only a digital camera so a lot of money for what it is.

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »
Nikon D90 = CHECK!!  ;)

Been out shopping this afternoon and as its been hard to find one so OH bought my camera there and then!!!

So excited but it's been hidden away now until Chritmas day :( but we'll be on the beach so hopefully will get some great pics of the doggies.

Thanks for all your advice. Glad we moved away from the J1 tbh as everyone we spoke to said it won't be anywhere near as good as the D90.

Emma x

Offline Smokey 1

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Nikon D90 = CHECK!!  ;)

Been out shopping this afternoon and as its been hard to find one so OH bought my camera there and then!!!

So excited but it's been hidden away now until Chritmas day :( but we'll be on the beach so hopefully will get some great pics of the doggies.

Thanks for all your advice. Glad we moved away from the J1 tbh as everyone we spoke to said it won't be anywhere near as good as the D90.

Emma x

Have a quick google search for Ken Rockwell, I am sure he can point you in the right direction for setting up your new camera

Smokey  :D
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »
Thank you for that. Will have a good look on there.

Emma x

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
Hi, Dec 2011 edition of What Digital Camera has a camera set-up section written by Phil Hall in association with Nikon. This might be helpful too.

Offline Vikusik555

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
I would go for NikonD90 on your place.. personally had to choose between Canon 400D or Nikon v1, Nikon v1 is great, but bit expensive for me, got SLR Canon for 250 plus card and 2 lenses, very happy about it, got a lot of pics of my cockers already:) good luck!