Author Topic: Warmer weather and picnics  (Read 849 times)

Offline Catie74

Warmer weather and picnics
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
Well you can tell the weather has been getting better.  I decided to take Archie out to a beautiful park yesterday at about 4pm.  We were having a lovely time and Archie met a few cockers who he was happily playing with.  We then moved on and started walking up a steep hill, and then my heart began to pound.  Oh God! Archie spotted, a fraction of a second before me, a family picnic.  That was it, he bolted, me running after him as fast as my legs to go shouting ARCHIE NO! ARCHIE NO! ARCHIE LEAVE! ARCHIE, ARCHIEEEEE.... (now normally his recall is very very good) but he pounced on the picnic, grabbed a long French baguette and ran off with it.  I managed to catch up with him, get the stick out of his mouth before he ate too much (he has inflammatory bowel disease and can't have wheat) while apologising and grovelling to said family.  I was mortified, my dog is a bug*er, anyone want to swap  >:D  :005:

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Warmer weather and picnics
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »
Swop  :005: with Phoebe she's just as bad very food orientated she can smell food a mile away little minx that she is :005: I know what you mean when they head for the picnic you know what's going to happen and you just want to die  :fear2:  join the cocker picnic club :005: :005: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:58:41 AM »
Picnic raider here too - very embarassing, although 3 out of the 4 successful raids just resulted in people laughing. One (Darius Ganesh "off the telly") was NOT amused although his female copmpanion was just laughing. I offered to send him money for the slice of ham, but didn't take me up on it.
TBH I can understand people being angry as Penny SHOULD be under control - I just have to keep one step ahead of her and distract her or change direction if temptation appears. 

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
Archie nab someone's picnic roll, surely not  ph34r  :005:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Catie74

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
A picnic roll would have been a little more discreet Stephanie, but Archie went for the big one and stole the whole baguette.  Looked ridiculous legging it with his swag, much to the amusement of other dog walkers.

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »
Lol darcey would do something like this lol but then again we have to have her on the lead at all times so she wouldn't get near anyone unless the oh wasn't paying attention!
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

I am picturing the scene  :005:

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

I am picturing the scene  :005:

Me too   :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:  They really are little sods aren't they!  Toby hasn't snaffled a picnic yet but I'm sure he will when he sees one.  He managed to find himself a piece of bone on the canal bank today.  I just couldn't get it off him so I'm awaiting the consequences  >:D

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »
Oh no I can see it now! Not a thing you can do. How do I know? Because sash has pinched rolls for barbecues, bread from the hands of toddlers feeding ducks and ice cream from any one she can and guess who feels bad, definitely not her.  :fear2: :fear2:

Who would be a cocker owner  ;) ;)

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: So sorry that has made my day. Did you give them the French stick back  :huh:
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »
I too have a Masked Picnic Raider, his exploits are many and legend:

The time he scaled a 15 foot cliff to raid the beach picnic I had just hauled him off - yep, same one twice;
The time he worked his way down a whole line of picnics on the beach;
The time a woman fell flat on her face sprinting back to defend her picnic;
The time he stuck his head through the fence of a gundog scurry and raided the picnic of a spectator!

The only picnic that has been safe was a naturist picnic on Holkham Beach - very sensible dog, most unhygienic having sandwiches naked :005:

You are SO not alone ph34r ph34r ph34r

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
Jeff's our picnic raider. He never goes far from me. Ever. EXCEPT when he smells a BBQ/picnic  >:D It took a few raids for me to realise this. His highlight was making off with a joint of beef a group of campers had considerately cooked for him and left out while they went for a walk. I managed to rescue it, dust it off and put it back before they returned. Don't think they noticed  ph34r

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
 :005: :005: :005: :005:
They are all so naughty.
Connie has ate a fishermans lunch and half another ones loaf of bread which i think she tried to swallow whole.
Then once when she was out with my sister she stole and ate a mans sausage  :005: from his sausage and chip lunch.  He apparantly was not happy & my sister offered to give him the money or buy him a new sausage  :005: but he refused to reply to her, she was mortified and quickly got Connie and left the field.
I always worry when i see toddlers around the duck pond as i know connie will try to get the bread they throw so she's always quickly put back on her lead for fear of what could happen.
Angie x
Angie & Connie

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: :wasntme:
Sorry to laugh ,  thank god my two have never done it would die of  :011: embarrassment
Owned and trained by two mad cockers