Author Topic: Grass balls - grooming tips  (Read 2355 times)

Offline C_phillips

• Snappy Spaniel
Grass balls - grooming tips
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:27:55 PM »
Hi all!

So we've now moved to a little village just outside of Cambridge, and no matter where I walk Jake, he comes home absolutely covered in those little green grass balls.

I've got a regular brush at home, but it does quite a poor job of getting them out. I wondered what tools you guys used?

It's particually problematic around the ears of course, can't seem to shift the bloody things! I can get them by hand, but he's not that tolerant of me doing that! He seems much calmer when I use the brush, but its not always that effective.

Any tips or tools much appreciated!
Owner of Jake, the fearful-reactive Spaniel.
Read about our journey with Jake:
SnappySpaniel.Wordpress.com

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Grass balls - grooming tips
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:35:21 PM »
I use a white plastic flea comb, the side with wider teeth, as you say they are difficult to remove and take quite a bit of time. I agree they are a right pain, I live in Lowestoft and they seem to be everywhere atm, except maybe the beach.

I got thirty or more off just one dog yesterday  >:D poor pooch
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:48:06 PM »
I use a small plastic (human) comb. Best tool I’ve tried, flexible, and does the job.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
They‘re a real plague at the moment. I‘ve got one of these activet brushes, - they‘re a bit pricey but are good for getting the seeds out and also for undoing matts and removing loose underhair.
There are some youtube videos which show you how to use them effectively. I got mine here in Germany but if you google it, you‘ll probably find a supplier in Uk, or at least find something similar (and possibly even cheaper)

http://www.redcape.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=380