Author Topic: What clippers and blades do I buy?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline BentleyT

What clippers and blades do I buy?
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:51:48 PM »
I have a golden cocker and he's started getting awkward with the groomer (very snappy and I have to accompany him now to put him at ease). So I thought I may as well do it myself.

Question is, there seems to be lots of clippers on the market. I want good ones if it will make a difference but if I only cut once every other month, will it matter? Is cordless the way to go? Then there's the blades - do you buy these separately and again is there a quality aspect? What size?. We have him pretty short (gets muddy and wet daily) but we keep a hint of cocker cut by having a bit of feathering on the legs.

Would love to hear your advice! :)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: What clippers and blades do I buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »
Hi,  I'd recommend Andis clippers.  There are cordless or other.  Mine are plug in and i like them.  Depends i suppose on where you're planning to do the grooming and whether a plug point is accessible.

The Andis (and Oster) come with a no. 10 blade (usually used for face, tummy, inside of ears as cuts very short).  I'd suggest a No.7 or 7f blade for the body, and thinning scissors for the feathering.  Best bet would be to go to a shop and try out the clippers to see what suits as some are heavier than others.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline BentleyT

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »
Thanks, plug won't be an issue. There are a few models to choose from, is there any specific feature I should look for?

Also I've seen a Wahl set for £30 with various extras but the Andis ones are over £100. What does more money get you? If it's just length of service cheap might do, but if it's ease and comfort for the dog more money would be worth it.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »
I've only had Oster (heavier and blades got quite hot) and Andis (very pleased with them).  Have a look through this as it explains the differences quite well: https://a1grooming.co.uk/dog-clippers/
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline BentleyT

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 10:40:09 PM »
Great link!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »
I went the budget friendly route a couple of years ago an bought a cheaper clipper that was compatible with oster blades. Figured the blades were more important than the machine when only using it on one dog. Pretty sure someone on here helped find the best solution, so thanks COL! Unfortunately it does not seem to be available anymore (it's called pet clipper pro 9000) but I'm sure there are others like it. I clip maybe 4-5 times every year and so far it has worked well. The oster blade I bought was almost as much money as the clipper  :005: The clipper came with a 10 blade that I use for rough clipping and areas I want super short. And the oster blade I got was 5F so longer and smoother result than the 10. Someone on here advised me on what blades to buy too, pretty clueless myself, but it has worked well for us.
Btw snappy puppers can easily be trained to use a muzzle during grooming sessions. My dog will occationally try to eat the clipper so I have a muzzle on her so she doesn't accidentally hurt herself on the blades. Used plenty of treats and praise to train her so she does not mind the muzzle at all. Now if only I could teach her to be more tolerant of the clipper  :005: