Author Topic: Itchy cocker  (Read 2328 times)

Offline annclare

Itchy cocker
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
Matte, my 6 year old black and tan, has started scratching a lot! No sign of fleas! When I got him from a breeder 2 years ago, she gave me some of the dry food he was on - Pro-plan Salmon Sensitive Skin and he is still on this. I messaged the breeder, as we have kept in touch, and it appears he has always had a bit of a skin problem. She also used to give him Yumeja Skin Supplement so I will start him on that again. Wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for this problem; he's making me itchy too!

Offline Barry H

Re: Itchy cocker
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
Have a look at my recent thread as had the same problem, now pretty much sorted thanks to Pam and Dermacton.  Worth mentioning that a change of food may help more than anything.  Jack was on Millies Wolfheart but have changed to Acana recently as an experiment.  No more itching.  Of course, all dogs are different and I'm definitely not saying that Millies was a factor, but wanted to check the possibility.  Could equally have been the hot weather, an allergic reaction to something external or just 'one of those things' sent to try us, but a change of food may be something worth trying too...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=119873.0

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
Jinley was a very itchy dog and it drove us mad!  Had her allergy tested and had to exclude many things (biscuits being one of them due to the potatoes / rice / wheat element in them). 

She has always been raw fed, so went back to basics.  However this time of the year she starts again for a few weeks due to the acorns and oak leaves in the woods where we walk (another positive on allergy testing).  I didnt want to go down the route of Apoquel (spelling sorry) with the vets as it only suppresses the itching rather than dealing with the reason.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:51:06 PM »
We use a little spoon of coconut oil (to eat) and that seems to help cats and dogs with skin things. My little border terrier was a poor soul with lymphoma and I think all the chemicals made her skin yucky. Coconut oil on top of a nice clean diet made a big difference for her.

Offline annclare

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
Thank you folks; I'll certainly be buying from Aromesse. x

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:36 AM »
Thank you folks; I'll certainly be buying from Aromesse. x

Just seen this thread,  it is certainly good stuff.  I think I should be on commission with them! 😃
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline annclare

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
Now fully stocked with Aromesse products, coconut oil and Yumega so thanks to everyone for good advice.   

Offline Barry H

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
Now fully stocked with Aromesse products, coconut oil and Yumega so thanks to everyone for good advice.
Fab!  Please post an update and let us know how you get on.  Many threads like this just fade out and we're none the wiser...

Offline annclare

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
Matte is still scratching in spite of all my administrations! She doesn't lose fur but is continuously biting herself. The only thing I haven't tried is the Aromesse cream - is this worth a try? I'm loathe to go to the vet as he isn't ill, just scratching which isn't a pretty sight especially when I have visitors! Would welcome your valued advice.   

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »
Hi! You didn‘t mention if you‘d considered the food aspect ? Grains, some sorts of meats (e.g. chicken) can be responsible for skin problems, as can a lot of the ingredients that go into some treats, biscuits , chews etc. If he does infact have an intolerance/allergy, then no matter what other supplements you give him, the cause isn‘t being eliminated.
I realize a raw or even a DIY cooked diet isn‘t for everyone, its a bit more time consuming for one thing, but it might be worth giving it a try, keeping ingredients simple to start with and then introducing other things one at a time and making notes on the reaction. There‘s a mine of information online, including a good facebook group for raw feeding. (You can also cook, if you don‘t fancy raw)
Perhaps make a list to consider anything at all, however small, that could be causing trouble i.e. washing powder/ softner used for bedding, shampoo, air freshners, etc etc and then try alternatives while keeping a sort of diary to monitor reactions. Is it worse in the winter? Could the air in your house be dry? (i have a problem with that). I think I‘d try a process of elimination before giving supplements though as, if it is indeed food related, you could end up in a vicious circle, a normal healthy animal on good well balanced diet shouldn‘t require much in the way of supplements.
Last thought - could it possibly be a form of stress or even boredom?
Hope you find an answer !  :D

Offline Biddy

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:13 AM »
Hi I don't usually post, but I think that maybe taking Matte to the Gp ie. The Vet would be a good idea as all the other things you have bought have not worked. I do hope matte is better soon. 

Offline annclare

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
Matte still scratching! Have a friend's dog coming for the weekend and know he going to embarrass me
with it. I have had him over 2 years and he has never itched like this, still on the same food his previous owner brought with him. The Dermacton Spray has not helped at all. At my wits end. Think a visit to the vets is necessary for allergy checks.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 09:39:10 AM »
My late westie was troubled with skin problems, and it usually came hand in hand with his anal glands being a problem too, when they were clear his skin improved.

Just a thought.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Toofast

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
There is a lot of grain and gluten in the Proplan products, these are beginning to cause a lot of health problems and itchy problems for our pets.
Have you considered a good quality Grain and Gluten FREE kibble. Maybe better still a change to raw feeding. Many dogs are being helped these days by changing to a more appropriate natural diet.