Author Topic: Being sick during the night  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Being sick during the night
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »
Now I know I have read about another dog having this but cant find where.
Sat night Riley was up being sick at 3am, 4.30am and 5.30am. No undigested food , just bile, he brought up quite a lot.
He was fine on sunday morning and all day sunday ate normal.

He gets fed about 7am ish then 5pm , last night I gave him little bonio at 9pm,
Fast forward to .3.45 am and he wakes us up again same scenario, though I was more ready this time as I heard the lip licking going on just before.
He was sick twice again just bile.

I am sure Ive read about empty stomach problems, but he goes to sleep about 9.30pm anyway so I cant really give him anything later.
Unless giving him a bit more to eat before I go to bed around 10pm?
He is fine within himself it seems.  Any other advice? thanks.

Offline DeeDee

Re: Being sick during the night
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »
Unfortunately no advice Jane although I'm sure someone will soon be posting with suggestions {COLers are an amazing fount of help and advice.} Just posting to say I'm very sorry Riley is being sick. Do you think it might be connected to when he was ill a few weeks ago? Sending you and him big hugs. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: Diana

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Unfortunately no advice Jane although I'm sure someone will soon be posting with suggestions {COLers are an amazing fount of help and advice.} Just posting to say I'm very sorry Riley is being sick. Do you think it might be connected to when he was ill a few weeks ago? Sending you and him big hugs. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: Diana

Thanks Diana, Im not sure but dont think so. This seems to be twice on an empty stomach and he doesnt seem ill afterwards. Who knows.

Offline Ebbysmum

• Donator
  • Lexi 5, Ebony 4, Maddie 1 and Gracie 2
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
Ebby used to get this a lot. Almost every night. The vet said it was because her tummy was empty and she was probably dreaming of food etc which caused acid reflux. He recommended feeding three times a day. I have got to be honest I haven't done this but always make sure she has a few biscuits before bed, as late as I am up. Which has been 2am the last week, so no sickness :005: Hope it is the same for Riley  :luv:
www.saltdogstudios.co.uk  www.facebook.com/saltdogstudios
Handmade Dog Collars, Leads and Accessories

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
Poor Riley!

Henry was sick in the middle of the night about a week ago too (just on the carpet near the door in the shared hallway at 3.15am, so I was up and down with carpet cleaner and it's now left a big patch - grrrr). It did have a bit of stick in it, but was otherwise bile. Occasionally I'll find the remains of some on the carpet too. Henry gets fed at 4pm (but does usually have a bit of kibble later for "training purposes"), so it could be from the empty stomach. I haven't got any suggestions, just wanted you to know that others do it too.

Is Riley a big stick-eater? If he's a hoover, I imagine he is. If it happens a lot I'd ask the vet for advice. The vet told me that usually if they're sick after eating then there's something to worry about.

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »

Hi Jane

Didn't Riley have some issues a few weeks back when Miya was being sick :-\

We had three trips to the vets, the third visit was to a different vets and she said that Miya could have picked something up (because her nose is rarely off the ground) and without supplying drugs or administering injections that we would have when we're "under the weather" I was adviced to "give it a couple of days" and it passed :blink:
Miya was a little hitty missy with her food but then she generally is :005: If Riley's eating OK then he can't be far wrong but if your still worried a trip to the vets may just put your mind at rest ;)

Hope he's well soon :luv:

Mel.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »
It's normally just when they are hungry.

Just try giving him a bigger dinner, or give him a tiny amount of supper before bed - Charlie used to get supper to stop this happening - however it was a very regular occurance with Mr Fuss pot. Now he just gets extra biscuits before bed.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
Thanks all, yes I am thinking might give him a few biscuits when Im going to bed.
I think its a different scenario of when he was sick a few weeks back.

He is a massive stick eater actually, Something he has never grown out of.
I will give the biccies tonight and see if he is ok.
Failing that might do the 3 meals for a bit and see how he goes.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
Also since switching Charlie to raw it's happened less (I'm not saying switch Riley) but maybe his food just isn't filling him as much since he's a growing boy :) (just before Christmas Charlie was starving and was eating double portions for his dinner - VERY unheard of for him - Maybe Mr Riley is just going through a similar 'growth' spurt).

But it would be wort trying him with supper for a few days/weeks to see if it helps.

My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
Also since switching Charlie to raw it's happened less (I'm not saying switch Riley) but maybe his food just isn't filling him as much since he's a growing boy :) (just before Christmas Charlie was starving and was eating double portions for his dinner - VERY unheard of for him - Maybe Mr Riley is just going through a similar 'growth' spurt).

But it would be wort trying him with supper for a few days/weeks to see if it helps.

I know, yes I will do, he is actually coming through to me after his dinner, and leading me back through to his bowl, licking his lips, looking at the cupboard, looking at the bowl,, looking at me..... etc
I think as well I read that the adult food is slightly different from his puppy/junior food.  Interesting that charlie was eating much more too, that is so not him is it.
Will give him supper tonight about 10pm and see how he goes.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
Archie has never managed to stop having his evening meal. He has two main meals but in the evening he has a small amount - about a desert spoon of his food too. I tried to wean him off it but he just kept whining and pacing and staring at his bowl. He also has a small biscuit when we go to bed too. I guess some of them just need their meals little and often!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
A couple of biscuits before you go to bed should help if it is just bile he is sicking up  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
I always give Chloe and Moo-Moo (and did with my precious Bridge baby Truda  :luv:, of course) approx 20grams of kibble for their 'supper'........I find this helps.

Their daily intake amount refects this 20 grams.
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
What time did you all give supper roughly ?

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »

I know, yes I will do, he is actually coming through to me after his dinner, and leading me back through to his bowl, licking his lips, looking at the cupboard, looking at the bowl,, looking at me..... etc
I think as well I read that the adult food is slightly different from his puppy/junior food.  Interesting that charlie was eating much more too, that is so not him is it.
Will give him supper tonight about 10pm and see how he goes.

What time do you actually put him to bed :o :005:
Don't know if food lying on his stomach all night would benefit:dunno: I know I wouldn't eat at that time of night :shades:

Mel.