Author Topic: Being sick during the night  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Being sick during the night
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »
Also since switching Charlie to raw it's happened less (I'm not saying switch Riley) but maybe his food just isn't filling him as much since he's a growing boy :) (just before Christmas Charlie was starving and was eating double portions for his dinner - VERY unheard of for him - Maybe Mr Riley is just going through a similar 'growth' spurt).

But it would be wort trying him with supper for a few days/weeks to see if it helps.

I know, yes I will do, he is actually coming through to me after his dinner, and leading me back through to his bowl, licking his lips, looking at the cupboard, looking at the bowl,, looking at me..... etc
I think as well I read that the adult food is slightly different from his puppy/junior food.  Interesting that charlie was eating much more too, that is so not him is it.
Will give him supper tonight about 10pm and see how he goes.

What time do you actually put him to bed :o :005:
Don't know if food lying on his stomach all night would benefit:dunno: I know I wouldn't eat at that time of night :shades:

Mel.

Lol, mel I put him to bed (dont tuck him in)  well about 9.45-10pm ish.
He is asleep much before , anything from 8.30pm -9pm, but does get out to go out etc.
It seems to be the same time those two nights he was sick, ie about 8 hours after his dinner.
Will give him something at about 10pm tonight
Roll on clocks changing for psychological reasons, I find each year Im more than ready for this .

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 07:31:43 AM »
We all go to bed about 9pm......we need our beauty sleep!
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline maddy74

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 07:57:43 AM »
Willow had a few tum probs during puppyhood and the vet did recommend in these circumstances if you can feed 3 smaller meals a day this is better although this isnt always practical I know.

When we finally took Willow of her 3rd meal we always gave her a couple of biscuits before bed... these below are good. We used to give her one of each every night  ;)

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=72#details

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Pet_Foods_Diets-Dogs-Lilys_Kitchen-Lilys_Kitchen_-_Organic_Bedtime_Dog_Biscuits/c233_234_8305_8329/category.html?pk_campaign=AdWords-432&pk_kwd=lilys%20kitchen%20bedtime%20biscuits&oa_matchtype=e&oa_advert=1999&oa_network=s&gclid=CIXrkIaN5bUCFeXKtAodGU8AEQ

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »
Thank you Maddy,  well we gave Riley some of his usual kibble, a handful at 9pm last night,
went to bed at 9.45, he woke me up at 2am licking his lips and swallowing, but he did go back to sleep.
Then woke at 5.30 bringing up bile again.
After that he slept till breakfast.
I feel like Im never away from the vet atm.

Will try tonight and give him maybe a bit later. Cant understand this though as its just seems to have been sudden.
My son said he has heard him licking his lips at night before, so maybe he has had this feeling for a while.

He has no ill effects again today, absolutley fine, bouncy self.  :huh:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 09:06:40 AM »
Oh dear, poor Riley (and you). Hope the vet can shed some light on it. xx

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
I  wonder if a  change of food  would help him?
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »
I just dont know, I was actually in the vet y,day buying some flea prevention, but it was busy so I didnt get the chance to have a word.
Might ring them later on and see what they say.
Im not sure about change of food emma, he has been on it with no problems for 9 months or so now.
There is absolutely no food in the stuff he is bringing up poor thing.
It really doesnt look fun for him.

I lying there with half an ear listening out for him.
Im hoping its not something he has eaten and is lying in his tummy , but surely it wouldnt just be in the night he wretched up bile in that case would it.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
When Archie was under the weather last year he was licking his lips a LOT. He wasn't sick but was clearly feeling unwell. It turned out he had scratched his gum chewing a piece of plastic (recovered from behind the sofa later  >:D) pain meds and anti B's sorted him out very quickly. Hope the vet gets to the bottom of things.

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »

Hi Jane

Is everything coming out OK at the other end :huh:

Mel.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
If you google 'dog vomiting yellow bile' you will find this is quite common. Both Ruby and Jem have done it in the past, usually around 5am. We now give them a little bit of supper (they know the word now!) and they haven't done it since. In fact, Ruby did just once, but then we realised we'd forgotten their supper!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
Yes mel he is fine at the other end, well formed definately lol

Been to vet, I had to make it clear it wasnt his normal sicky bug etc.
He said I did right with the little bit supper and even suggested bit chicken and rice at night,
He has given us zantac and an anti sickness liquid,
The zantac is to be given a couple of hours before bed, then a light snack an hour before.

If this doesnt clear up he said the next route might be the endoscope (sp) down to look at tummy,
His temperature was fine and tummy felt normal.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
If you google 'dog vomiting yellow bile' you will find this is quite common. Both Ruby and Jem have done it in the past, usually around 5am. We now give them a little bit of supper (they know the word now!) and they haven't done it since. In fact, Ruby did just once, but then we realised we'd forgotten their supper!

Funnily enough I said that last night,  "heres a new word for him" ie supper,
I am sure knowing Riley as well as Jem and Ruby he will no doubt know what this means in a night or two,

Its strange as after dinner the last few nights he has been coming through and basically asking for more.

He was weighed today and is 13.7kg.

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »
I'd just give him a little more dinner or supper.

He's probably just going through a mini growth spurt.

Charlie was 14 to 14.1kg last time he was weighed...(whilst he is a skinny minny; he's solid underneath his skinny little frame - however he's always been heavy) - forget the numbers; go by how they feel :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
I'd just give him a little more dinner or supper.

He's probably just going through a mini growth spurt.

Charlie was 14 to 14.1kg last time he was weighed...(whilst he is a skinny minny; he's solid underneath his skinny little frame - however he's always been heavy) - forget the numbers; go by how they feel :)

Hope so Emma, you said charlie has done this? ie been sick in the night? how often ?
Riley is quite cheating , he looks like he weighs more.  Perhaps this lad does need bit more food, its hard to get it right when you have a greedy spaniel more so.

Also Riley of late seems to be getting a lot more excercise so maybe thats the thing he needs more food. Omg I feel awful if its the case .

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
 if he's  more  active  he'll probably be hungrier.

He used to be sick in the night (bile) quite  often,  but  since  switching  his  food,he's  been  eating  better  and  it's  happened  less,  well  basically never  really :)