Author Topic: Odie on a drip - UPDATE - HE'S HOME. PHOTO ADDED  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Odie on a drip - UPDATE - HE'S HOME. PHOTO ADDED
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2013, 05:58:19 PM »
Back from vets and his pancreas enzyme levels came back normal when re-sent to lab!  Vet confirmed he'd had an 'Addisonian Crisis' so I'm well prepared if and when it happens again.  No reason for it, could have been anything which triggered the attack but at least his bloods are all normal.  Will slowly wean him off the steroid tablets over next few days. 

He's had a lovely walk this afternoon and has been eating well.  He did lose 1kg over the past few days though (wish I could lose weight that quickly  :shades: :lol2:)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2013, 06:01:13 PM »
Great news, so glad to hear Odie is on the mend.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
Great news Odie.... I wish I could lose a few kg's too :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
I'm so glad he's home and is recovering  :luv:  He's very lucky as dogs affected with this disease are less physically able to cope with stress – either mental or physical -  and can collapse and die in an Addisonian Crisis  :-\  

It could have been triggered by his booster which was less than a month ago wasn't it?  There is no proof for this (obviously) but it seems  coincidental and something I feel your vet should be considering.  I would ask this question on the CIMDA forum and see if they have had or know of similar reactions.

I know your current vet doesn't see the link between boosters and triggering the Addisons and would rather 'deal' with an Addisonian Crisis than a disease you can booster against.  However,  if you look at it they have gone against the drug company's protocols anyway by boostering a dog with Addisons - only healthy dogs should be boostered.

I really would seek another vet with more experience of AI disorders.
helen & jarvis x

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2013, 08:10:34 PM »
Really really pleased to hear Odie's recovered so well  :luv: and he's looking gorgeous as always  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Have to ask tho - did your vet say anything at all about a connection to his booster?  Given the proximity to his Addison's starting to the booster last time.... and this reaction so close again I'd be inclined to think its more than a coincidence... and a good vet I hope would feel the need to report his reaction  :huh:  Not doing so is one of the reasons there's so little "evidence" to force the profession to reconsider its position, and in turn make all the other bodies like, boarding kennels/insurance companies etc to also reassess their own positions. If she's not happy to I wonder whether its more to do with Helen's point about the datasheets advising to only booster a healthy dog...  :-\

Hope Odie recovers completely very soon, including the weight loss  :luv: (and yeah being on a stave day I soooooo wish I could drop a kilo in a few days! Tho probably not via his method  ;) )  Gentle squidge for your boy from me and Maggie xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Good news Lesley!!  That is great, hope it all settles down now, and Odie gets back to his normal self again  :bigarmhug:

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2013, 07:33:50 AM »
Gosh don't know how I missed this!
So pleased to read him at home :luv:
All the best to you all :D
steff, jus and Elliexxx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
I asked if his crisis episode could be linked to his booster a month ago and vet said no (although she would say that....)

I also asked if it was appropriate to booster Odie as I thought he'd be classed as an 'unhealthy' dog.  She said he was healthy as he takes tablets to keep him so....  :-\

I've just emailed the drug company Zoetis who deal with the boosters given to Odie and have asked their advice regarding re-boostering. 

When I receive further advice from Zoetis, I will contact my vet.  I don't have much choice when it comes to vets in the area so will be staying with current one for the moment. 

Odie seems pretty lucky when it comes to his Addison's, lots of dogs react badly with stressful situations but Odie doesn't seem to.  Even after his 3 weeks in kennels last November, he was absolutely fine with no signs of distress  etc.  I suppose dogs, like humans react in different ways.  I have my suspicions re. this year's booster and the 'crisis' but as all his bloodwork came back perfect, we couldn't tell what triggered the attack.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
Aw Lesley, have been away and only just caught up with this, am so sorry to hear of odie having a set back it must have been scary, but glad to hear he is up and about again, big hugs and kisses and big slurps from selby :luv: :luv: