Author Topic: Alberts poorly again - possible cushings  (Read 5533 times)

Offline ali2010

Alberts poorly again - possible cushings
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »
I put a post on here yesterday about Albert biting the dog walker which to be honest is out of character, here is my previous post

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=104518.0

Last night he seemed ok initially when I got home from work then when we all went to bed he couldn't settle and kept pacing around and barking.  This morning he had his breakfast but then lay down and started to drag his tummy.  He had a similar incident a couple of weeks ago and we took him to the vets  and they could not figure out what was the matter, but suspected pancreatitis, then the next day he was fine, completely back to normal. 

The vets are doing test on him - the first blood test has indicated that he does not have pancreatitis so they are now doing an ultrasound and more blood tests which will have to be sent to the lab so we won't find out what it is until next week.  The vet did mention it could be cushings syndrome - can anyone tell me anything about cushings?  I am really worried about him  :'(

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
Re: Alberts poorly again - possible cushings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
Hey there

I don't know anything about Cushings but did respond to your post yesterday ..

sorry to hear about Albert being Poorly it could explain a lot..

I will be thinking of you and Albert bless him x all the best

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
Hi, sorry Albert is poorly.

Cushings disease is caused by excess hormones produced by the adrenal gland.

My Odie has Addison's Disease, which is very similar to Cushings except AD is when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the cortisol and aldosterone hormones that the body uses to maintain the immune system, blood pressure and deal with stress.

Before his diagnosis last April, his symptoms included: shaking/lack of appetite/snappy and biting behaviour/taking himself off to quiet places to lie down instead of being with us/very weak/tenderness in pancreas area.

Hope you get a definitive answer as it's important to treat and control these diseases if the poor lamb has it.  Sending lots of  :bigarmhug: I know what it's like as I've been through the mill for over a year with one thing and another.  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline ali2010

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  Lesley it really does sound like your Odie has been through the mill, poor boy.  Have been looking up the symptoms etc for cushings, the only symptom Albert has is excessive appetite (but then thats nothing unusual for a cocker!).  I am trying not to worry too much or to jump the gun on this as ew won't find out the blood test results until next week.

So if you could give poor Albert positive thought I would be very grateful

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
It may well be pancreas related. The level Kali had was barely raised as I was at the vets at the first pain. They sent the sample to the lab for a more in depth analysis and it was indeed pancreatitis. Lucky for Kali that my vet went ahead and treated for pancreatitis regardless because I told her that although her symptoms weren't the same as the last episode, they were the same as the first.

Hope they sort him out soon xx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »
Positive thoughts for Albert coming your way from all of us Hun  :luv: hope you get to the bottom of it all real soon. Phoebe and Mia send loads of  :-* :-* :-* for your lovely boy  x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Ebbysmum

• Donator
  • Lexi 5, Ebony 4, Maddie 1 and Gracie 2
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
Hope it is nothing serious and the vets can make him better quickly.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
www.saltdogstudios.co.uk  www.facebook.com/saltdogstudios
Handmade Dog Collars, Leads and Accessories

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
Hope it is nothing serious and the vets can make him better quickly.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

From me too. Thinking about Albert and you and sending positive thoughts. Diana

Offline ali2010

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 03:27:24 PM »
Oh no, the vets have called, they are still doing tests on Albert but they would like me to go to see them at 5pm - am now starting to panic   :huh: :'(

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »
our symtoms of cushings was extreme thirst  and weeing great lakes of clear pee( it looked like she was just peeing water)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »
Oh no, the vets have called, they are still doing tests on Albert but they would like me to go to see them at 5pm - am now starting to panic   :huh: :'(

I hope this is to let you know the problem and treatment as then you can help him. Please let us know what they say xxx

Offline ali2010

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 06:07:19 PM »
Albert is back home, the vet is unsure what is wrong with him but unfortunately the ultrasound showed a mass on his liver. They say it is not pancreatitis but could be cushings, hyperthyroidism or hepatitis. We will get the blood tests back from the lab on monday which will tell us more. Unfortunately if the blood test doesn't reveal anything they will have to do a biopsy of his liver in case it is cancer  :'(.

Please give us a your positive thoughts, am praying he will be ok

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »
I'm so sorry it wasn't something simple. Hopefully Monday will give you some idea of what your enemy is and you can put a fighting plan in place. Don't lose heart, Albert will need you to be strong xx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Lovely

Albert's poorly again, possible cushings
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that the vet couldn't give you any definite info and it's awful to have to wait for results over a weekend. It sounds like there could be lots of potential treatment options whatever the problem is, so am sending you loads of positive vibes and keeping my fingers crossed x
Ali

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 06:23:55 PM »
Sending positive thoughts for Albert :luv: and hoping that he gets an encouraging diagnosis on Monday :bigarmhug: