Author Topic: Poorly Pippa and now Barney too  (Read 1001 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Poorly Pippa and now Barney too
« on: October 02, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
Some of you may recall Pippa's pooing on the rug.  Well, she has continued to have a runny bottom so I took her to the vets yesterday to get her checked out.  The vet isn't sure what it is.  She hopes it is an infection and has given us antibiotics and advised starvation for 24 hours followed by 5 small meals of raw white fish for a week or so. 

Pippa of course is unimpressed by the starvation and the antibiotics which are spat out at least 5 times before I finally get her to swallow the by now sticky disintegrating pink blob.

Our chip shop sells fresh fish so I have bought the first batch.  At £5 for 500g, it is going to be an expensive week.

The vet said if Pippa's no better by Friday she has to go back for stool tests to rule out salmonella and campylobacter as she is at higher risk due to be raw fed, although she did say it's unlikely given I buy all the dogs' food from the butcher/supermarket.  :-\

To cap it all off Barney has now started with the same problem.  He is still in starvation phase, due white fish at breakfast tomorrow.  I will be becoming good friends with the chip shop but will have to resist buying for myself (caved in yesterday and had a portion of chips to eat on the way home  ph34r).

Both dogs seem fine other than having the runs (still wanting to eat, drinking and keen to go on walks, though we are obviously just doing very short ones until they're better).  Positive thoughts to help stop the poo avalanche are very welcome!

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Poorly Pippa and now Barney too
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
Positive thoughts duly winging their way to you Hun for Pippa and Barney  :luv: hope the vets find the cause real soon x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »
Hopefully it's nothing serious and the AB's will sort it out.  The chip shop prices seem expensive for raw white fish  :huh:  Might be cheaper at the supermarket  :dunno: Obviously you'd have to thaw it, but try Aldi or Lidle (I'm sure it would be cheaper) But then again, going to the supermarket would deprive you of your chips  :005:
Lynn

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
Sorry to read this - I do hope the vet can sort it soon and they are both on the road to recovery. Gentle  :bigarmhug: 's for you all.

Not sure if they still do, but Tesco used to sell frozen fish quite cheaply - but this was when Smudge was young so not sure if they have it now.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
Hope they're both feeling better soon. Then their mum can have fish and chips too :)

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
Poor Pip and Barney, give them a hug from us. As Lynn says Aldi do bags of white with cheaper. What about giving them some scrambled egg? I'm sure you could hide the mess in it.  :luv: :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »
Thanks, people. We will have a supermarket trip at the weekend. OH has the car and is working late this week so I can't get there yet. I might try Barney on egg, Barbara. He loves it. Pippa better stick with the fish now she's started with it.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
Poo avalanche doesn't sound fun! Get well soon soon poorly pooches  :bigarmhug:

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »
Poor Pippa and Barney.  Hope their botty problems get better very soon.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Hope they are back to normal soon for you.    :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
Bless them  :luv:  Dealing with the poorly nether regions of dogs is not much fun (I know!).  Hope they're feeling better soon.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »
Hope things improve and Pippa and Barney are back to normal soon.  (What happened to the rug.  Did you manage to clean it or throw it away?)

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
Poor Pippa and Barney , hope they will soon be well.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 11:06:18 PM »
Hope things improve and Pippa and Barney are back to normal soon.  (What happened to the rug.  Did you manage to clean it or throw it away?)

We hosed it down, following Darcey The Dog's advice and it did the trick (although it took two days to dry on the washing line).  I'm hoping it doesn't happen again, at least until the rain stops.  :D

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »
I hope they are both more settled, great news that you managed to save the rug  :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010