Author Topic: Silica and/or Hepar Sulph  (Read 5561 times)

Offline 7733lily

Silica and/or Hepar Sulph
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
One of my boys has had a lump on top of his foot (between his toes) for about 3 weeks
I think he may have had a grass seed at some point, actually may still have, but nothing is shifting it
Its about the size of a small grape, but is skin coloured (not red) and I have been able to squeeze gunk from it virtually every day.  I have bathed in warm salt water and hibiscrub (not at the same time) but no grass seed has appeared and the lump still has gunk in and isn't getting any smaller (although not getting bigger either)
I did give him Silica at the beginning to no avail and have started it again yesterday as maybe the wound wasn't "ready" the first time
Should I try the Silica until the weekend and then change to Hepar Sulph or alternate both or forget the Silica or try something else?
I may well end up at the vets if none of the above works, but it does not seem to bother him (only when I mess with it) and if I can avoid giving him unnecessary antibiotics etc all the better
TIA

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Silica and/or Hepar Sulph
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
Personally, if your efforts haven't worked by now I would be inclined to take him to the vet. Grass seeds can travel a long way from their original insertion point and cause all sorts of problems elsewhere.

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
Its just odd that there is still a lump and its still full of gunk which would imply theres still something in that area  :huh:
I've spoken to a vet over the phone who suggested I just move straight to the Hephar Sulph for a few days and see how that goes
I am however off to the vets (not the one I spoke to) tonight as I think he may also have an ear infection (never rains but it pours) so will discuss with the vet there too
Thanks

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »
3 weeks is a long time if it's still producing gunk. I'd also be inclined to see the vet about it.  It may need opening up to remove the offending 'thing', and should hopefully heal quickly then.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Well he's booked in for 5.30 tonight for his ear so we'll sort the foot out at the same time
Very frustrated we have had to resort to the vet, but I guess some things are beyond me  :'(

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:49:11 PM »
Well he's booked in for 5.30 tonight for his ear so we'll sort the foot out at the same time
Very frustrated we have had to resort to the vet, but I guess some things are beyond me  :'(

Very frustrating, and not nice if he needs sedating or anaesthetic. I hate losing to blimmin grass seeds and such like.  Hope you have a quick, relatively painless resolution soon.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »

Very frustrating, and not nice if he needs sedating or anaesthetic. I hate losing to blimmin grass seeds and such like.  Hope you have a quick, relatively painless resolution soon.

No, but fingers crossed with other grass seeds he's had (foot and ear) no sedation needed (although I did have to put my foot down quite hard for them to do it without) so hopefully it may just need antibiotics (which I still don't like, but better than sedation)
Thanks, I'm sure all will be fine (although not my bank balance I'm sure  >:D)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »
How did it go?
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
WELL!
Went in there for his ear, its got a kind of milky white discharge (not dark wax as usual with ears) and they had a look down and took a swab to look at under the microscope to see which bacteria it was so to give the appropriate treatment
They also checked his other ear and said it was a little dirty, but then said "oh, looks like he has a grass seed" I said "oh, that's odd, he's not been shaking his head and there has been no wax, but if you think so lets get it out".  He then got his ear thingy and his tweezers and had a go (Dylan has had this done before last year when he had a rather large grass seed in his ear so used to it and impeccably behaved).  Anyway after lots of digging around etc he decides "No, its actually just hair with wax on  >:D) Not pleased, but hey at least no grass seed
Now for the foot.  He looked, numbed the area and had a good dig around, again NOTHING and said it was most probably an infection left behind and would prescribe some pain relief (only needed because he'd dug around in there) and antibiotics
In the meantime, the results came back for the first ear and showed it was a bacterial infection, nothing serious (most probably bought on by swimming) and would prescribe some drops
Right, ok, all sorted I thought. 
He then decided to have one more look into the infected ear where this time he said "oh, I can see a grass seed" OMG, again he's not been shaking his head or anything to say he had had a grass seed.  He had a go at getting it out but because his ear is sore with the infection he was wriggly and so he couldn't get it
Next thing, "we have to book him in to be sedated, have his ears flushed and might as well dig around further in the lump on his foot" "would tomorrow morning suit you? that will be £350"
We are now booked in tomorrow morning at another vet for a second opinion before going ahead with any sedation.  I don't see why they cannot prescribe something for his ear to make it less inflamed and then try again to get the grass seed when its calmed down and he will sit still  :huh:
Not to sound like a bad mum, but the seed has clearly been in there a while as we have not walked anywhere other than the beach lately and until he got this infection (nothing to do with the grass seed) he was showing no signs of anything in his ears and it would have gone undetected (right or wrong) so surely another few days wont hurt whilst we try to get the inflammation under control
Anyway, we will see what they say tomorrow

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »
OMG!!!!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him (and you) today.

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »
OMG!!!!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him (and you) today.

Thanks Emma
We're off to the vet tomorrow morning so hopefully we'll see someone who knows what they're talking about and try every avenue before the sedation one
Its not just about the money, although £350 is quite a bit, but to put him under for a grass seed (don't get me wrong, I know they can be dangerous and cause serious damage, so not taking it lightly at all) but surely correcting his ear first then trying again would be the way to go when this has worked in the past and grass seeds are the bane of our life every summer so can't KEEP having sedation for removal
Hey ho, what do I know  :huh:
I'll update tomorrow  ;)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
Just wondering how you got on at the vet's?

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
OK, I have an update

Ears
Took Dylan to a different vet last Saturday to look at his ears
He said he had a "very mild" infection that was barely worth talking about but gave me some drops to pop in twice a day to clear it up.  He had a good look around in both ears and did not say anything about seeing a grass seed  :huh:
Anyway, we have been on the drops since the weekend and his ears look a lot better, redness almost gone, and no sign of any discharge  :blink:

Foot
As for his foot, I started the Hepar Sulph at the weekend just as one last ditch attempt to solve the issue.
The first couple of days looked good and I was expressing lots of gunk  :020: and it looked as though it may "produce" something
Then yesterday morning it took a turn for the worse and flared up so I decided to book a vet appointment, this time at a holistic vet in Dartford for this coming weekend (this is what it looked like yesterday)

Well blow me down, no sooner had a booked the appointment than last night I noticed something poking out from the wound and hey presto...grass seed  :banana: can't tell you how excited I was

Phoned the vet to cancel the appointment and they advised just to bathe with warm salt water now to aid healing but already this morning its looked ALOT better

Now we just have a check up with the ears in another week

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »
I'm relieved that you found it :)

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
I'm relieved that you found it :)

So am I Emma  :013:  :D