Author Topic: Advocate/Milbemax experience please...  (Read 3484 times)

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
Advocate/Milbemax experience please...
« on: October 07, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »
Hoping someone can help me here.

Jazz (2) has always had Advocate with no problems and Drontal for worming again with no problems.  Bailey (now 15mnths) had been on the same but I found the Drontal gave her diawotsits so last time I got Panacur granules to put in her food - Fab no squits :banana:

Just been back to vets for annual boosters and worming due again so vet advised giving Bailey Milbemax this time but as it is due at the same time as the Advocate she was a bit wary about her having them together as they are part of the same drug family and Milbemax will also cover lung worm.  She seemed to think it might need a 2 week gap inbetween the 2 drugs but has asked me not to administer either until she has double checked with the drug companies.

(Btw there was a reason she didn't recommend the Panacur again but I can't remember exactly what she said :doh:)

Does anyone have any knowledge of this as I obviously don't want to delay protecting my babies any longer than absolutely necessary
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Chillis

Re: Advocate/Milbemax experience please...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »
I'm sure I used them within a few days of each other once with no bad effects however could of just been lucky!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
This may help http://www.merialvetsite.com/sites/fields/FleaWormingTreatment1506.html . There's advice towards the end of the article about leaving time between the use of them.

Personally I wouldn't use any of them at the same time as vaccinations because of the amount of chemicals and drugs being given to the dog all in one hit. But I speak from the point of view of someone who never uses flea and tick preventatives and now has titre testing done instead of having booster vaccinations that may not be necessary in dogs that were fully vaccinated as puppies and at 1 year old. I realise my views may be different to those of many, but I think it's best not to bombard my dogs with too many chemicals, especially all at the same time :blink:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »
I use Advantage for fleas and Milbemax for worms for Minstrel & so far no probs. Breeder had him on Frontline and Panacur, but I had used Advantage on Smudge with no probs when Frontline did not seem to work and vet advised Milbemax instead of Panacur, so went with that.

JUst to comment on Elaine's post - vet advised not to do them all at the same time, as  well (I think with Minstrel, it was if there is was bad reaction then there was more chance of knowing what caused it - if done separately)

He also advises now not to give wormers more than 3 monthly once they are over 3 months old - unless I saw wrigglers in his poo  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 02:24:02 PM »
Last year I changed Alfie onto Advantage for ticks and he regularly has Advocat. He had a terrible tummy after Drontal when he was a pup which needed emergency treatment so he now always gets Milbemex for worming with no further problems. He never has all 3 at the same time together. Incidentally he hasn't needed any tick preventatives this year as he's had no problems with ticks which is a pleasant change.

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
Thanks all, I don't really want to give too many drugs at the same time it is just unfortunate that the worming (I do every 3 months now) was due at the time of the boosters.

They have had their boosters a week ago now but still no news from the vet (despite a phone call reminder) about the others and although I don't want to overload them I also don't want them to be at risk or unprotected.

I guess as we live in a fairly urban area they do have more regular on-lead walks so are not exposed to open countryside etc all the time (I do most of my off-lead walks at MIL's farm (not a working farm so no animals) as Bailey is fearful of other dogs and can run free in the fields there with no worry.

Just out of interest if the vet comes back and says to leave a 2 week gap then what do you all think should be the order or administration - Advocate then Milbemax or vice versa???

Thank you all again

Edited to add thanks elaine.e just read the link which is interesting as it is saying worming is only needed every 6 months if Advocate is used!!

Also Advocate can be used 48hrs after Milbemax given but if Advoacte used first then wait approx 2 weeks!

Vet still hasn't called I might send them the link to read :005: :005: :005:
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »
I bought 12mths supply of advocate from vet and was told only to worm every 6months or so just becase Advocate doesn't protect against tapeworm.