Author Topic: Anal Gland removal  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Anal Gland removal
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
I know it's been discussed on here many times before - I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassurance...

After more than 12 months of continued bouts of infection/full glands [which surely they will be from time to time?] and one session of flush/packing.
Change of groomer as I thought they may be heavy handed and the new one doesn't touch anal glands [won't empty them due to the risk of damage  :shades:
complete change of diet to BARF for 3 months, which only made her really constipated and exacerbated the problem  ph34r
added fibre to her diet which made her really loose and therefore worse
on gluten free for the best part of 6 months which has been great until the last 2 months
Change of Vet from the nearest branch of the Group to a Partner at the Vet day hospital

3 infections in 2 months the Vet has said they need to be removed.

She's booked in for Monday next week.  Got to admit that although he's reassured me I'm still worried about the possible side effects and how she will be after the operation. 

Anyone any experience of the procedure on their dog and able to share how they are first night / day after?  I can ask my Mum to come over and look after her while I'm at work if needed but the Vet says she should be ok......

Sorry to ramble - just a bit upset that it's come to an operation

Jayne

Offline maddy74

Re: Anal Gland removal
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:49:05 PM »
Awwwww  :'(

Have no experience of this but sending big hugs for you and Pearl xx

Offline Mrs Pepperpot

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:53:54 PM »
No experience of this either, but hope all goes well and no more discomfort for Pearl  :bigarmhug:

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »
Will be thinking of you both next week and hoping all goes well for Pearl  :luv:  :luv: Poor little girly....at least she will be pain free when its done but it is not nice thinking of them going through a big op.

We've been told Bonnie might have to have hers done and its best while she's young but we are hoping it doesn't come to that. In the meantime, we've been following the advice given by a very knowledgeable cocker owner we met on a COL meet and been giving Bonnie bran in her diet (think she was called Pearly ;)) xxx

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »
Will be thinking of you both next week and hoping all goes well for Pearl  :luv:  :luv: Poor little girly....at least she will be pain free when its done but it is not nice thinking of them going through a big op.

We've been told Bonnie might have to have hers done and its best while she's young but we are hoping it doesn't come to that. In the meantime, we've been following the advice given by a very knowledgeable cocker owner we met on a COL meet and been giving Bonnie bran in her diet (think she was called Pearly ;)) xxx

oh dear  ph34r hope it's working for Bonnie?

Thanks all for the well wishes x

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Aw sorry to read this. Emily, who is 12 this month, had an anal gland tumour (and so anal gland removed) in August this year. Oncologist was fantastic and did a wonderful job - removed all of the tumour and Emily has recovered just fine. He did explain the possible side effects, but is very experienced and we've been so lucky. She was on heavy pain meds - tramadol and something else I can't remember. And it was hard watching her going the first few times. Looked really painful, and she did cry a bit which was heartbreaking. But really, she recovered in superquick time (within a week), and has no loss of control/ incontinence. She is a real toughie though. The only 'issue' we had was the dissolving stitches not dissolving. So my vet had to take them out as they were irritating her. I'm sure Pearl will be fine - try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know!).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »
Aww Jayne, a big decision but one obviously recommended by a very experienced vet.  Having just had Miss J spayed, it was the anesthetic that caused us the most problems, so it might be wise to get your mom over for the next day just to stop you worrying at work as well.

She will obviously be in discomfort after, but I shouldnt think much worse than being infected.  But it will solve the problems once and for all.

Hugs to you both.

Pat and Miss J x

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »
Aw sorry to read this. Emily, who is 12 this month, had an anal gland tumour (and so anal gland removed) in August this year. Oncologist was fantastic and did a wonderful job - removed all of the tumour and Emily has recovered just fine. He did explain the possible side effects, but is very experienced and we've been so lucky. She was on heavy pain meds - tramadol and something else I can't remember. And it was hard watching her going the first few times. Looked really painful, and she did cry a bit which was heartbreaking. But really, she recovered in superquick time (within a week), and has no loss of control/ incontinence. She is a real toughie though. The only 'issue' we had was the dissolving stitches not dissolving. So my vet had to take them out as they were irritating her. I'm sure Pearl will be fine - try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know!).

Really appreciate your note and so pleased that Emily has recovered well

I plan to ask the Vet for lots of pain relief for Pearl, thank you x

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
Aww Jayne, a big decision but one obviously recommended by a very experienced vet.  Having just had Miss J spayed, it was the anesthetic that caused us the most problems, so it might be wise to get your mom over for the next day just to stop you worrying at work as well.

She will obviously be in discomfort after, but I shouldnt think much worse than being infected.  But it will solve the problems once and for all.

Hugs to you both.

Pat and Miss J x

Thanks Pat - it's Rob who made the decision for me really, the choice was next week or New Year and it seems unfair to make Pearl wait when she's clearly uncomfortable within 4 weeks now.  It will be Rob to do the operation too, he's currently looking after Peony so it made sense to take Pearl at the same time - I'd happily ask Liz but not the other two at the local branch (appreciate they have to have the opportunity to practice and gain experience but not on my girly and certainly not after the treatment Jinley received  ph34r)

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »

You're welcome, and thank you.

Just remembered - Emily stayed in overnight after op so they could monitor her and make sure she wasn't in too much pain and didn't have any toileting problems. Your vet might do this - it was a help in my case as I also work. So I didn't have to worry about her coming home straight after surgery. And by the next day most of the anaesthetic had worn off so she wasn't all groggy or whiny (like Ollie gets).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »

You're welcome, and thank you.

Just remembered - Emily stayed in overnight after op so they could monitor her and make sure she wasn't in too much pain and didn't have any toileting problems. Your vet might do this - it was a help in my case as I also work. So I didn't have to worry about her coming home straight after surgery. And by the next day most of the anaesthetic had worn off so she wasn't all groggy or whiny (like Ollie gets).

That's a great suggestion, thank you.  This branch of the Vet Group is "unmanned" over night but they may be able to transfer her to the main vet hospital - I'll call in the morning  ;)  At least that way she can get a top up of painkiller if needed and as you say, they can monitor her "performance".  Think I'll call the insurance company in the morning too - pre-warn them and ask for their view...

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
Aww Jayne, I'm so sorry to hear that Pearly is having to have the op after all your efforts. I don't have any experience or advice but I'm sure you are doing the right thing. We are sending loads of healing thoughts for you and hope that Miss P. Is on the mend very very soon.
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: from Archie and Me. xx

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »
Hope it goes well for Pearl Jayne - big lick to her from the Fudgemeister.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »
Me and Jamie wish pearly well with her operation on monday, no experience or advice to give just good wishes :)
Jamie sends lots of cocker kisses to you both  :luv:
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »
Oh gosh , poor Pearl :luv:
let's hope this proceedure
does the trick and she is more
comfortable