Author Topic: 7.5kg @ 6 months old - is this underweight?  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: 7.5kg @ 6 months old - is this underweight?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
I think I was just being paranoid about overfeeding him as he loved his food too much  :shades:  He seems OK to me, nice and chunky but his weight doesn't seem to tally with his looks iyswim?  Definitely isn't a "pocket cocker" like ones I've met, he's going to be as tall as Odie was (15/16") when fully grown.

Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »
That does seem low. Our Madoc was 12 1/2 kg at 6 months. Why not see what the breeder thinks. Perhaps his Dad was small?

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 11:05:42 PM »
I've just emailed his breeder to ask about the size of his dad, I met his mum and she looked a standard size....
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 12:43:13 AM »
to be honest I really wouldn't worry about it - at 6 months they're not fully grown and go through various 'shapes' before they're mature (Bosley my sprocker boy looks like a whippet at the moment - his cousin Stella was a really podgy pup who then went really skinny and tall then filled out to a mature size and weight).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lottielove

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »
Lottie is roughly the same weight but she is very small - we met another orange roan yesterday who was literally twice her size. My vet said for her personally, she could stand to put on up to a kilo but she wasn't worryingly underweight. As she's not all that keen on dog food (years of being fed roast dinner I suspect) it's hard to feed her up, kind of the opposite problem that you have, LOL! There's lots of good advice on here, so I'm sure once he's properly grown he'll settle into his ideal weight.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
Rosie is 12kg, Dennis 15kg and Minnie our worker is 18kg. Vet is happy with all their weights

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 08:08:57 AM »
Well, Archie's breeder said that she'd expect him to make 15-15.5" tall (he's currently 14" so well on track).  Both his parents and grandparents were of that size.

She did say he seemed a little underweight but I'm hoping that now he's fully on his adult food, he'll soon make progress.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »
he's probably just had a growth spurt  ;)
helen & jarvis x