Author Topic: Anal Gland removal  (Read 6035 times)

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Anal Gland removal
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2013, 08:19:08 PM »
At least Pearl is feeling well enough to be crafty and con you into letting her out to the nice cool wet grass  :005:
Glad to hear things are on the mend.  :luv:

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »
So pleased to hear she's moving forward.  Just a case of healing now.  Sending healing, positive vibes her  way. Xxxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
Just read the entire thread, so glad Pearl is better now.
My Bailey has his glands removed tomorrow  ph34r
Can you give me any hints or tips on after care for him?

Thanks in advance :D
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »
Hi Helen - saw your thread earlier! As Pat mentioned I'll be online properly later and post a full update to close down this thread - been meaning to for a while so you've done me a favour by prompting me, thank you

Lisa gave brilliant advise - thank you!

What I can say is that Pearl is not only fully recovered but now goes to hydrotherapy to improve her fitness and swam for 35 minutes last week!

Jayne

Offline maddy74

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2014, 05:11:38 PM »
So pleased to hear that Pearl back to full strength.  :D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »
Grrrr....just typed a huge update to close the thread down and got timed out!

so a much shorter version  :005:  For anyone considering the operation or have a dog about to go through it.....

The Tuesday night, after the op on Monday, was far better.  I'd asked for pain relief for her [morning and evening] which I think helped a lot - she was certainly a bit zonked!  Pearl slept well and so did I! 

Wednesday we were back to normal routines [as was Pearl....normal shape, size and less smelly  :shades:] plus she was eating well and harassing the cats......  We had the Vet check which went well although the Vet wasn't experienced enough to give the go-ahead for the COL meet on the Sunday  ph34r the wounds were healing nicely and no sign of infection  :D  The worst bit was that cone - she was really unhappy with it on.  I took it off her for a couple of hours in the evening and she settled down on the settee and slept.  Back on for overnight though....

Thursday - Pearl had the cone sussed....rather than poking the back of my calves, with her nose, on the way down the stairs [I'm sure she's part Corgi  >:D ] she quickly realised she could use the cone..... >:D  I still have a mark on the back of one leg!

I tried her without the cone on the Friday morning but caught her having a sneaky lick at lunchtime so it went back on for the afternoon and overnight again [reprieve in the evening under supervision  :005:].

Saturday Vet check was better - still healing well and the OK to go on the walk but to wipe her down if she got too muddy just in case  ;)   and best of all, that cone went into the cupboard hopefully, never to be used again  :banana:

Sunday:   It was a cold day so Pearl sported her winter jacket, Miss J chose to run around a field to keep warm  ;)  :005:  We had a great time meeting up with GeoW, Patp and AlandBina - lovely people and lovely cockers  :luv:

The first 3 days were uncomfortable watching Pearl as I'm sure it was sore/hot and itchy for her.  Looking back, it was such a short amount of time and compared to how she is now :  so worth having the procedure done  :D

Pearl is now happier and fitter than she has been for a very long time - I've started taking her to hydrotherapy to boost her fitness and she managed 35 minutes this week!  No frequent trips to the Vets to have her glands emptied and no more associated bills  ;)  Her poo's are still well formed, if a little loose so once she has finished her current gluten free food I think she'll be back on the muesli or possibly BARF [though that did make her very constipated - all dogs are different!].

Day 6 - post op on Stiperstones

and in the pub, keeping warm, afterwards....

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
So glad she is fully recovered and everything is so much better xx

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2014, 09:51:15 PM »
Thanks Kerry - hope Bonnie is doing well with her bran ?

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2014, 10:13:44 PM »
thankyou for the update....you have really put my mind at ease :D
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 10:30:40 PM »
Thanks Kerry - hope Bonnie is doing well with her bran ?

Touch wood, Bonnie has not had to go back for an 'empty' since we took her off JWB and added bran in the mornings. I think her diet change has helped a lot....thank you for the advice  :luv: Though, Pearl's success has helped ease my mind should we have to consider removal further down the line xxx