Author Topic: URGENT- Can a bitch recover from pyometra? updated with cute pics  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: URGENT- Can a bitch recover from pyometra?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Any news on Luna?  Been thinking about her. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Specaloo

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
Any news on Luna?  Been thinking about her. X
Hiya, I just phoned the vets & the nurse said she's fine, much brighter than last night so that's a relief! She's had a little walk & potter outside just now then is going for surgery at around 9.15.
We have a confused 12week old staffy pup at home wondering where his big sister is, we had to bring him into our room to sleep last night!  :doh: :lol:

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
Any news on Luna?  Been thinking about her. X
Hiya, I just phoned the vets & the nurse said she's fine, much brighter than last night so that's a relief! She's had a little walk & potter outside just now then is going for surgery at around 9.15.
We have a confused 12week old staffy pup at home wondering where his big sister is, we had to bring him into our room to sleep last night!  :doh: :lol:

Oh bless him, he will be worried about the disappearance of his friend.

Everything crossed for Luna.  Hope her surgery goes well and that's she's on the road to recovery soon.  Will keep an eye out for updates later.  Thinking if you all. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »
Yes indeed sending you
all good vibes, I'm sure
you will be pleased to have
Luna  :luv: home asap.
steffxxx

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 12:29:38 PM »
Please have her spayed.
Years ago I knew nothing of this illness, One morning I awoke to find blood & puss every wear, my dogs womb had burst, we almost lost her.  A few years later, with another dog I recognised the symptom's  & although the vet did not think it was pyometra, I ask for them to investigate & be sure, yes it was pyometra.   So this time with Kez, my present dog, she was spayed right from the beginning as I only had her as a pet.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Nicola - I had no idea - I realised of course it must be serious by the tone of the thread, but did not know what it entailed.

Hope little Luna makes a speedy recovery
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Specaloo

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »
Well she is out of surgery & recovering ok apparently!  :D it was definitely pyo, he said there were big pockets of fluid in her womb rather than 1 big swelling, so pleased she's had it done. Bad thing is she had a contraception injection last week which was most likely the cause of it... Feel a bit to blame for this but we weren't told that the risk of infection was so high with that jab! She said its a very small risk but when I researched it a bit more it said high risk of womb infection! Oh well.....the main thing is she's ok, that's really all that matters. :D

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 02:53:01 PM »
Sounds as though she should be
fine  :D, hope she gets home soon!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
Really pleased to hear Luna is ok and it was definitely a pyo - makes the decision easier somehow?

Pearl stayed in overnight so she could have IV painkillers and fluid - also so she was constantly being checked by a Vet.  The biggest challenge was keeping her calm after the operation - she was such a different dog as soon as she came home it was like having a puppy with zoomies again!

Jayne

Offline Specaloo

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
Hi pearly, yes definitely makes it easier that the right decision was made for her. She also has to stay another night in the vets for monitoring & IV fluids, then it's home with the cone of shame on! haha! Just hope the pup doesn't nibble her stitches  :-\ very close supervision I reckon.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 03:40:54 PM »
or a babygro?

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »
Years ago we had a collie/lab cross bitch who wasn't spayed (her seasons were very light and not troublesome at all, and we were so skint in those days we couldn't really afford the op anyway  ph34r).  When she was about 7 and due for her season she developed pyo and was really poorly for a couple of days, but as her season was due it didn't click straight away that she was ill - we were expecting the discharge so it was a few days before we realised that all was not well.  The vet said we'd lose her if she wasn't spayed straight away, so we bit the bullet (and lived on baked beans for a month :005:) and she was done.  Afterwards the vet told us that her womb was so badly infected that when he removed it, it half-filled a bucket, when in a normal spay what they remove would fill a teacup! She'd always had a problem with her bowels over-night and very rarely went through the night without poohing, (we had to put down newspaper every night all over the kitchen floor), but after the op that all completely stopped and she never poohed in the house again until she was a really old lady and had a stroke and subsequently lost all control!  If I had known about pyo then we would have had her spayed sooner.

Offline Specaloo

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 05:08:21 PM »
I'm really glad she's ok, hope she makes a speedy recovery once she's home :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 05:20:46 PM »
Hope she's ok now, bless her.

Big hugs to you both.  It's been a rotten time for you. X