Author Topic: Odd reaction to booster jab (or not?)  (Read 362 times)

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
Odd reaction to booster jab (or not?)
« on: January 15, 2014, 06:16:58 PM »
Hi everyone..

Daisy had her first annual booster jab yesterday and she had been wormed the day before..today, she is off her food and quite lethargic..she's not eaten anything, (not even a chew) and she has slept for most of the day.

Normally she is badgering me to play with her ball..I took her out this morning, but she wasn't that interested..

I am not too worried as she is still wagging her tail, and is not looking too ill (not being sick or anything)..

It's just strange that's she's not barking at everything that moves, or warning me that there are birds in the garden etc...she is just a bit (too?) chilled out...vet says to keep an eye on her..

Anyone else had the same?

Thanks as always for your input...!

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
Re: Odd reaction to booster jab (or not?)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »
I know that when we took our Daisy to get her first jabs, the vet said she might be lethargic afterwards. No such luck in our case  :005: but I do remember my cat being very lethargic after her jabs. I'd imagine that boosters would be similar.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »
Could be a strain on her little body having the wormer the day before then the booster.
I usually would wait a couple of weeks or worm a couple of weeks before.
Hope she feels more her self soon.

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »
Could be a strain on her little body having the wormer the day before then the booster.
I usually would wait a couple of weeks or worm a couple of weeks before.
Hope she feels more her self soon.

OOh nooo!   I feel like a bad mother now.. ph34r ...although I did tell the vet I had wormed her the day before as he asked me whether she needed a tablet...

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »
Honey was sick twice in the night after having her booster and went off her food for a few days....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »
It's not uncommon for dogs and cats to have some kind of reaction to vaccinations. Most reactions are relatively mild but should still be noted on your dog's records.

Did Daisy's booster include vaccination against Leptospirosis? That's the one most likely to cause reactions. William had a lump at the vaccination site and was lethargic for a day or so when he last had a Lepto booster. I was subsequently told by the senior vet in the practice that if William was his he wouldn't have him vaccinated against Lepto again as he thought the risk of Will getting Lepto was outweighed by the risk of a further, potentially much worse, reaction if he was vaccinated against it again. So William hasn't been vaccinated against Leptospirosis since then.