Author Topic: puppy health screening  (Read 360 times)

Offline beretta700

puppy health screening
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
Almost at the point of buying a working cocker puppy.
What are the ideal health checks a puppies parents should be clear of. ie hips eyes etc.
Seems a simple enough question but i bet the answers not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: puppy health screening
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:34:30 PM »
Absolutely 'ideal' (but rarer than hen's teeth  :005: in workers) is FN, PRA, hip scored and elbow scored parents. What are you wanting the dog for - pet, agility/Flyball or gundog (working dog and or trials)?

Breeders breeding for agility seem to be hip scoring more, whereas you'll have a bit of a battle finding trialling stock with all of the above screening, and of both parents. Quite a few working stud dogs have now been screened for PRA, but FN testing is less common and hip/elbow scoring still even less common in trialling stock.

I'd have a look at articles on hereditary conditions so you understand how conditions are passed on, and decide then what you are happy to accept (or not) as far as testing is concerned.

Good luck with your search  :D
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »
Hi I guess with your "name" you will be working the pup to the gun?

Couple of things to consider: he/she will be too young for a full day, next season, although may be able to do one or two drives dependent on their duration/distance and your local gun dog club/trainer may know of pups that are available and health screened.

Good luck on your search

Jayne

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »
This http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2019.msg17196#msg17196 explains how to find a reputable breeder and goes through the health tests that the parents should have had.