Author Topic: sore paws prevention advice needed  (Read 436 times)

Offline Prettygate

sore paws prevention advice needed
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
I have adopted a cocker spaniel aged 3 and had him since January.  He has had 3 bouts of really sore paws where he limps and is in alot of pain.  He visits the vet and gets pain killers, antibiotics and creams.  His paws get red and cracked.  Looks like the dog equivalent to atheletes foot

We are having him clipped often, but need to get some guidance on prevention.  He does get bad hay fever and we think it is allergies causing this.  We give him salmon oil daily and he has hypoallergenic  food.  I think the last bout was stirred up by the groomer actually, possibly the cage drying as he has been itching everywhere since this.  Any guidance would be really appreciated

Offline Catty_G

• Donator
Re: sore paws prevention advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
Awww bless him.  :luv:
Has your vet tested him for allergies?  where is he walked? could it be he has been exposed to fertilizers or weedkiller or something similar?
Until you find the cause it is difficult to treat. At a kennels I used to help at (100 years ago lol ) they sometimes treated sore paws by soaking them in a cold chamomile tea. It never cured anything but usually lessened the irritation a bit and had the added advantage it will not do any harm.

Sorry I can't be of more help. 
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »
Hi there Prettygate,
well done for giving your cocker
a new home :D
A few thing spring to mind...
Hmm if it's allergies ... at the
groomer maybe the products that were
used rather than drying.
Dogs can take piriton for allergies
a 4mg dose is fine.
You can buy paw wax , it's used for
protecting the pads but I do wonder if
he is prone to allergies if it would be suitable.
We have some for Winter bought from
Dogs Trust but I've seen it in pets at home
too.

Offline rednblack

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:35:30 PM »
Hi Prettygate, I'm sorry to hear about your lad's sore paws.  My old Billy had a time when his paws got sore inside between the pads during wet weather and we used to put Pawz boots on him to protect his feet.  You can buy them online from most of the usual suppliers, this http://pawzdogboots.com/prod_boots/ is general information about them.  They look quite thin, but actually stay on and last really well, and it made a big difference to him as he was able to walk much more easily.

We used (with the vets agreement) to wash his paws with salt water and smooth aloe vera gel onto the sore places. 

I hope this helps.

I can't comment about the all-over itching, except you say you have him clipped "often" - is he very closely clipped and could he be getting a bit of "clipper burn"?  I have to admit that I'm not a fan of cage driers so have never used a groomer who used them.

Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »
hi to you and cocker spaniel with no name  ;)
 dogs trust do a product call paw protection cream ( online from amazon and others inc dogs trust). I use their snout balm which is excellent for sore noses so i would expect the same from  the paw product. as it does not cost alot, worth ago me thinks.

I would think that the snout balm  would also work on paws.

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Prettygate

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »
thanks, Lynx is walked on a mixture of fields and pavements, but I think the wet weather and the grooming might have inflamed his paws.  Vet was not overly helpful (possibly as the groomer is based in their practice).  He is not clipped short only on the paws.  I will finish his meds and try the piriton, paw wax and the Pawz, but I can`t see him cooperating with the dog footwear!

Offline lesley3165

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »
I , very recently, saw a beautiful cocker with the paw shoes on and I was amazed how she didn't even bother with them. The owner said she didn't like them at first but soon got used to them.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 07:47:45 AM »
thanks, Lynx is walked on a mixture of fields and pavements, but I think the wet weather and the grooming might have inflamed his paws.  Vet was not overly helpful (possibly as the groomer is based in their practice).  He is not clipped short only on the paws.  I will finish his meds and try the piriton, paw wax and the Pawz, but I can`t see him cooperating with the dog footwear!
just a quick note to say; if buying Piriton
do not tell the pharmacist it's for your
dog or they may not sell it to you...
here is your chance to be inventive ;)