Author Topic: Wheat - Advice please.  (Read 462 times)

Offline theshrew

Wheat - Advice please.
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:49:29 PM »
Took the dogs for a walk yesterday then gave them a bath when we got home.

Missy has been licking her leg ( she normally does this after a bath ) anyway its continued tonight which I thought was a bit strange. After I had a look ive found loads of the spikey bits of wheat stuck in her. We always walk on that field never had this issue before and I wont be going again until the crop has long gone.

The trouble is her hair is so thick its like looking for a needle in a haystack. Ive been plucking them out for 2hrs tonight. Was tempted to get the clippers out but and get her hair real short but think that might just chop the wheat also.

Anyone give me some suggestions whats the best way to go with this ?

Offline Damommin

• Donator
Re: Wheat - Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »
I have heard that a 'mars coat king' is great at getting burrs,sticky buds etc out of cocker coats.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
I've not found a quick way yet - will watch this thread with interest

I'd either do the same as you or use a detangle spray and a spratts comb

Hope Missy is ok?

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
A Spratts comb with an elastic band threaded through the teeth seems to work quite well although you have to be careful to comb the same way that the seed is lying otherwise it could be pushed further in.

Chaz's last encounter with these little horrors needed a couple of hours of careful combing and use of tweezers to get them all out, especially those that had lodged in the skin around the armpits, underneath his collar and between his paw pads.

Bob.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:55:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

I ended up just hunting for them and getting her comb which is a real fine tooth one. Sort of getting the hair and go sideways rather than a normal stroke. It seemed to get some out.

She seems better now so that's the main thing. I won't be going in that field again for a while.