Author Topic: Chronic Ear Problems in Cockers  (Read 7256 times)

Offline DeniseS

Re: Chronic Ear Problems in Cockers
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »
BTW. Forgot to mention, that I'm sure I was never so neurotic about my children's health as I am with my Cockers. It must be an old age thing.  :005:

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
They our our children.......in fur coats. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
They our our children.......in fur coats. X

Well said  :luv: this would be why I make up little Christmas stockings for 'em then

Wishing Jack all the best  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »
Great news that he doesn't need the major op, I have everything crossed the procedure goes well. It's not something I've ever heard of either, so will have to look into it.

I've been thinking of home cooking for Brodie recently, as I'm having trouble finding a dog food that doesn't cause an upset tummy. It would be good if it helped with her skin problems too!

x In memory of Barney x

Offline DeniseS

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
Thank you Jenny. I must say, that I've never regretted putting Jack on a homemade diet. After a little trial and error, it does seem to suit him.

Well, my good news yesterday didn't last too long, I'm afraid. Jack woke up this morning and was in pain from his anal gland. We were on the Vets doorstep by 8 am and the bottom line, is that his abscess of a few weeks ago hasn't completely drained. So, they heavily sedated him to express the gland and then discovered he had, "some small knobby bits," inside the sac. They've taken a biopsy and I'll know the results next Thursday. They've suggested that the gland may need to be surgically removed. He's been prescribed Loxicom for the pain and he's now a little easier.

I'm keeping optimistic and must apologise that, yet again, I'm here with more problems. I'm sure it'll all be much better news when I return again. Thanks for your indulgence. xxx

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
roller coaster ride springs to mind!
Really sorry to read Jack isn't feeling
too chipper :016:
This for you... :bigarmhug:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
Sending over lots of healing and positive thoughts to poorly Jack  :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug: I hope he is feeling more comfortable soon. :-*
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
Oh no :'(. I often find with Brodie that her conditions tend to cluster together - if one thing goes wrong, chances are the rest will too!

I hope he's more comfortable now and that the biopsies come back clear - think there's been a few people on here whose dogs have had their glands removed, hopefully they'll see this thread. Everything crossed here that he is soon back to his normal self :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline DeniseS

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
Many thanks to Jenny, 8 and Mac. x

Well, we visited the Vets this morning and it's not good news. Jack's, "knobby bits," have almost certainly been caused by one of two types of cancer.  :'( One he stands a very good chance of surviving, but not the other. Although the growths are in one anal sac, both will be removed on the 16th. Meanwhile, I have to step up his reducing diet, so he'll respond better to the general anaesthetic. We have a 1 kgs target. Poor Jack! After I've finished here, I'll put anal sacs into search and learn as much as I can. Mercifully, his ears are not causing him a problem, at the moment.

I just wish I could have brought you better news, but I'm determined to stay positive. Jack deserves that, but tonight it's not easy.  :'(

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that, not the news you wanted to hear. I really hope it's the type that's not so nasty and that Jack comes through his surgery successfully and makes a good recovery. Thinking of you  :bigarmhug:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 08:24:17 PM »
So sorry to read your news.

I do hope the operation goes well and that he has a speedy recovery :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Gillsy64

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
I know exactly what you are going through  :'( My beautiful  Jarvis suffered from anal gland cancer, we were at vets for his boosters Christmas 2011 and asked for his glands to be emptied when vet felt a lump. Like you we were told it could be benign or cancer, unfortunately he had the bad cancer  >:D.
He had the op to remove the tumour and did really well. Initially we were told dogs with his type of cancer had life expectancy of 8 months after diagnosis, but my boy was still going strong ! He did eventually go on chemo because the tumour started growing again and again coped really well- you would never have known he had cancer. Unfortunately in July this year I felt he was really struggling to poo and so we took the heartbreaking decision :'(  :'( :'(... Hopefully Jack will turn out to be the benign one. Sending positive thoughts :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
So incredibly sorry to read Jack's diagnosis :'(. My Aunt's lovely cocker Bliss had this. She had superb care and the vets couldn't have done more for her, and I'm sure it will be the same with your boy.

Sending Jack all my positive thoughts, I hope the op (and any subsequent treatment) goes well and he has a speedy recovery - sending hugs :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »
DeniseS,
you are a hero and a blessing for your boy. One knock back after another and you are there fighting his corner.
Sending all postive thoughts   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 11:15:27 PM »
Just catching up on your journey. You & Jack are certainly having a rough time.
I do hope that you get some good news soon
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."