Author Topic: Advocate frequency  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Advocate frequency
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »
Only started advocate last month , previously used frontline combo and would apply every 4 weeks .

Riley had advocate on 8 august, We go on holiday on 1 Oct, So am thinking of bringing sept dose a couple of days early and same with October, ie maybe 26 days instead of 28.
Would this be ok?  just wary as Im new to this product as I say.

Offline 7733lily

Re: Advocate frequency
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
I personally don't use flea treatment on a regular basis, only if I see fleas
If I was you, and you really want to use it again before you go away, I would just give it to him the once towards the end of September instead (It wouldn't be due again until at least the 8th of September anyway so it will only mean waiting another couple of weeks) rather than giving him two doses but just my opinion  ;)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
If I was you, and you really want to use it again before you go away, I would just give it to him the once towards the end of September instead (It wouldn't be due again until at least the 8th of September anyway so it will only mean waiting another couple of weeks) rather than giving him two doses but just my opinion  ;)

Yes that sounds better, might even delay into mid sept, then we,ll give him it when we come back mid October.

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »

Yes that sounds better, might even delay into mid sept, then we,ll give him it when we come back mid October.

That would be my preferred option  :D

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
I agree totally with 7733lily, I always feel a little reluctant to give Jazz the spot on flea treatments.  I do use Advocate, but only a few times a year, when he seems particularly itchy.  I would hold off on the September dose until near to your holiday.  I never feel entirely comfortable about applying chemicals to my beloved boy.  Again, just my opinion.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
I agree totally with 7733lily, I always feel a little reluctant to give Jazz the spot on flea treatments.  I do use Advocate, but only a few times a year, when he seems particularly itchy.  I would hold off on the September dose until near to your holiday.  I never feel entirely comfortable about applying chemicals to my beloved boy.  Again, just my opinion.

I totally agree I don't feel comfortable either. Riley is a very hairy bear , very dark and Knowing me I wouldn't spot a flea until they had multiplied ten fold.
I will wait till mid sept then again mid oct.

Offline linda c

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
I do the same as AndyB only use flea treatment when I think it's necessary. Sometimes it's 6-8 weeks between treatments. He only has 2/3 treatments in a year.

Advocate seems to be the one that's mostly used.😀

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
Remember that Advocate isn't only used for fleas, it covers various other pests including lungworm. Have a lovely holiday x
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 04:57:38 PM »
Remember that Advocate isn't only used for fleas, it covers various other pests including lungworm. Have a lovely holiday x

Thank you x

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 05:29:54 PM »
As wendall says, Advocate is primarily a worm treatment, specifically lungworm, which is also effective against fleas. Ideally it should be applied monthly to be fully effective. Giving a treatment a few days earlier than normal shouldn't present any problems though.

It's thanks to regular use of Advocate that our worker, Chaz, was able to shrug off a lungworm infection a few months ago without any further treatment other than his usual monthly dose of Advocate. The original infection was spotted by Wormcount and a more recent Wormcount test has shown him now to be free of lungworm.

Google on "Lungworm in dogs" for more information.

Bob.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
As wendall says, Advocate is primarily a worm treatment, specifically lungworm, which is also effective against fleas. Ideally it should be applied monthly to be fully effective. Giving a treatment a few days earlier than normal shouldn't present any problems though.

It's thanks to regular use of Advocate that our worker, Chaz, was able to shrug off a lungworm infection a few months ago without any further treatment other than his usual monthly dose of Advocate. The original infection was spotted by Wormcount and a more recent Wormcount test has shown him now to be free of lungworm.

Google on "Lungworm in dogs" for more information.

Bob.

oh I know about lungworm, he has absolutely no interest in snails etc  , not saying I'm not concerned , but it's about fleas this. I'm not talking of skipping doses am only delaying by a week this way as opposed to a few days early if you know what I mean.

Do you apply advocate every 28 days or every calendar month?

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »

Ours get theirs on the first of the month. They've just been spot-on'd a few minutes ago  :005:

Bob.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »

Ours get theirs on the first of the month. They've just been spot-on'd a few minutes ago  :005:

Bob.

Lol, I,ll spot on Riley about 13th sept then I'm home on 13th Oct  and will do it then :) thanks.