Author Topic: Worried about George  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Sumava Cockers

Re: Worried about George
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »
Get well soon George, lots of people are rooting for you young man!
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
I have just had the blood test results back from the Vets, there is no sign of any heart disease :013: which is a huge relief, She has suggested, that maybe he had a touch of bronchitis, he still has a slight cough and does get a bit breathless, if he has walked up the stairs. Another thing, she has suggested, is that, she has heard of Older Cocker Spaniels, presenting with some kind of lung worm, although apparentley, it is not documented :huh:. So i am going to have to take 3 days of poo samples, which will be sent away and tested, if positive, this can be treated. Poor George, he does seem depressed, totally unlike him :016: I just want my cuddly happy chap back to normal :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »
Stephanie,  How old is George?

Is he still coughing?  Did your vet screen bloods (particularly for immunity)?

Hope he cheers up soon. 
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »
Poor George! Its good to know there's no problem with his heart, - presumably anything with his lungs would be less serious. Fingers crossed that the tests don't show up anything horrid and that he'll be back on his paws before long!  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: George! - Humphrey sends healing barks!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Stephanie,  How old is George?

Is he still coughing?  Did your vet screen bloods (particularly for immunity)?

Hope he cheers up soon.
he has just turned 12 she sent off for a NT proBNP Test
whether they screened for immunity i don't know
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »
Poor George! Its good to know there's no problem with his heart, - presumably anything with his lungs would be less serious. Fingers crossed that the tests don't show up anything horrid and that he'll be back on his paws before long!  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: George! - Humphrey sends healing barks!
Thank you Humphrey  :luv: very much appreciated :D
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »
Wishing George a speedy recovery, hope he is feeling more like his old self soon  :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »
All paws crossed that George isn't harbouring any nasty lung worms and makes an excellent recovery PDQ  :bigarmhug: and "mwah" from us 
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
There was a lot of pneumonia type infections in dogs over here last summer and it was those older dogs with low immunity who were worst affected.

Anti-biotic shots were order of the day and advice from vets was to keep the afflicted dry and warm.  Seemingly odd instructions as temperatures were in the 30s...the critical part was not to bathe them until infection cleared up. 

Hope your boy is on the mend soon.

All here send him big hugs
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
All paws crossed that George isn't harbouring any nasty lung worms and makes an excellent recovery PDQ  :bigarmhug: and "mwah" from us
George says thank you from his Auntie Elaine and his gorgeous Nephews Morgan & Hugo  :luv: :luv:
Mummy now has to collect poo for the next 3 days, George says the indignity of it all ph34r :005:
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline revis

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »
Hope George cheers up soon.I expect that he dislikes all this horrible weather here in the south.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »
OH, a little while ago, dropped off George's poo sample at the Vets. My vet has just called me at work, to say, she has looked at the sample before sending it off to the lab. George does have lung worm :o in a way, i am so relieved, that we know what is wrong with him. I am going to pick up some panacur liquid for him, he also has to have complete rest for 3 weeks, just outside for wees and poos, because sometimes, it can do damage to their lungs. she is going to give me an information sheet, which hopefully will explain everything. she did mention putting Hamish on the same treatment, but i not too sure about this, i don't like giving them unecessary treatment,do you think it would be worth sending a sample off to Wormcount :shades:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »
What a relief! So glad you have a diagnosis and that its treatable, even if its not very nice.
I think I'd tend to have Hamish checked, just for your own peace of mind but can't  see the point of treating him just for the sake of it.
All the beat for George and lots of  :bigarmhug:, hope the treatment takes effect soon!!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »
Glad you have got a diagnosis that explains why George has been poorly.  Hope the meds kick in fast and he recovers soon.

I'm not sure how contagious lungworm is, but I think I would get Hamish checked too but not treat him unless you have to  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2017, 06:31:50 PM »
I would get him checked, and possibly again Ina few weeks? Not sure about this, but maybe the wretched things take a while to show themselves, and if he has just caugth them from
George they may not be manifest. Because of their life cycle I mean. Just thinking aloud here, best to ask your vet.

So glad you have a diagnosis and are able to treat him   ;)

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo