Author Topic: Cockers and Warts  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Cockers and Warts
« on: January 27, 2003, 03:09:37 PM »
I believe that Cockers are prone to warts but does anybody advise what is best to do when they do get them?  Do you have them removed or leave well alone?  Chloe the wonder dog developed one on the top of her head.  Yes, I know.  She couldn't have got one on a less obvious place, that isn't Chloes' way.!!  Still, she could be covered in warts and she would still look beautiful to me.  It is just that I worry about her catching it on something or the groomer shaving it off with the clippers.!  Is it an old wives tale that they just come back sometimes worse than before?                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Cockers and Warts
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 05:29:52 PM »
Hi Sheryl, as you say Cockers are prone to warts as they get older. I'm not sure about them coming back worse than before as although my oldest (Meg) is now nearly 9 she doesn't have any. Maybe Jane can advise. As far as them getting caught with the clippers, this is a possibility and so I would suggest that when Chloe goes to be clipped make a point of reminding the groomer, just in case. :)

Hope this helps                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Cockers and Warts
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 09:15:10 PM »
My oldest boy Brook who's 10 1/2  is quite prone to warts. His first one was also on his head but the only reason we got that one removed was because he kept rubbing his head against the brick wall and making it bleed. He alos got one removed from his eyelid because he was under anaesthetic at the time anyway. He has a couple at the moment buut they are not bothering him at all so will not be getting removed. When he goes to be groomed I tell the groomer where they are and she just takes more care at those areas. They don't grow back worse than before but they probably will end up growing back.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cockers and Warts
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 09:34:22 PM »
Our old girl Daisy is also very wart-prone :) We have left them alone if they don't bother her but did have one taken off from inside her ear last year. Unfortunately it did grow back bigger & uglier than before & started to block the entrance to her ear canal so she has had it removed again. Fingers crossed, so far so good & there's no sign of it coming back. I do see a lot of warts when I'm grooming older Cockers - sometimes the owner warns me about them but usually I'll have a quick check anyway before I start wielding the clippers :)                    
Jane

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Cockers and Warts
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 09:46:27 AM »
Well, I never knew that cockers were prone to warts...  ???  Amber has a little lump that looks like a blood blister on her side (been there for years) is it a wart?                    

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Cockers and Warts
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 10:46:32 PM »
My old cocker was also prone to warts but the vet told us to just leave them alone.She too had one on the top of her head, but my young son thought that it was her brain!                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.