Author Topic: First grass seed in ear  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: First grass seed in ear
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 02:45:40 PM »
It's certainly grass seed time isn't it. I can't believe that my two have never had one - rapidly touching wood - mind they only go out with corks in their ears :005:

Hope Buddy's OK.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline SARAHLP

• Site Member
  • Maisy at 4 weeks
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 03:01:42 PM »
The first thing my vet warned me about is grass seeds in the ears & really made an effort to show me how to check ears teeth eyes etc.  He said they were a beautiful breed but often had too many in for ear problems.

Our late cocker Chloe only ever had one that needed to be removed in her 15 years & she LOVED long grass so it can just be an unfortunate thing.
xxx Love Sarah & (crazy) Maisy xx

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 03:50:44 PM »
awww poor Buddy ..what a brave boy he was  ;) ...give him a hug from us  ;)  Hope Max is ok too (((HUG)))

..they are a real pain...my two have their hoods on every day just in case  ;)..only have to worry about their feet then  ::)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 04:25:01 PM »
Oh Caroline - that snood is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously may need to invest in one!! Gonna show hubby now!!  :005: :005:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 04:32:31 PM »
Ouch poor poor Buddy. Hve only just caught up with this. Makes my wince with pain and I don't even know what it feels like!

Hope you are feeling better Buddy  :luv:

Alfie that snood is soooo this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luv:  :luv: You look georg!  :luv:

Touch wood we have stayed clear of the grass seeds for now, fingers crossed it sounds SORE!!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 04:37:48 PM »
Bless him, brave boy.. Touch wood we haven't had any yet either, I hope he stays clear now.

It's good your vet is encouraging you to take him in to acclimatise - w often do that with scared dogs, and just give them a cuddle and a treat, so they don't always associate the vet with pain/fear.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 06:41:17 PM »
Bless him, brave boy.. Touch wood we haven't had any yet either, I hope he stays clear now.

It's good your vet is encouraging you to take him in to acclimatise - w often do that with scared dogs, and just give them a cuddle and a treat, so they don't always associate the vet with pain/fear.

Actually it was my idea, but the nurse who responded to me did seem to agree it was a good one! To be honest we have rarely seen the same face twice since we joined, despite the fact that we know one of the vets a little from elsewhere.

Do you think they will charge us for these visits? I do hope not as I think it will help them as much as us.

As for checking his ears! I can't believe how fast this one vanished inside. He was fine before we left home, I am certain there were no little blighters on his inner ear flap. He was fine most of the walk. I think in less than 10 minutes it must have worked it's way in. And sooooo tiny too!

I think I really will make a snood despite OH's threats. He was in so much pain/discomfort with it.

He's absolutely fine now though. And not getting any special treatment from us now. Aren't we mean! :005:

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 08:03:46 PM »
Poor Buddy and Max, hope they're feeling better soon.  :luv:

Our last Cocker, Barney, got a grass seed up his nose a couple of summers ago, had to have anaesthetic to have it removed and it was a big old seed.  Bless him, he just kept sneezing until it got taken out.  Fortunately it happened on our morning walk and the vet took him in straight away and got rid of it.  I hate grass seeds, they're nasty little so-and-sos, and almost impossible to avoid.   >:(
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 09:16:10 PM »
Oh poor Buddy Annette.

They are dreadful things & as you said they go down their ears so quickly!! >:(

We walked the dogs through some really long grass yesterday & I was paranoid about Domino getting a seed in his ears ( or Spike come to that!! He is higher up from the ground though!!)

I'm glad Buddy feels more comfortable now. :blink:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 10:03:21 PM »
Hi Guys

Douglas and Marvin have joined the snood wearing brigade - Marvin's is exactly the same as Alfie's and they do give you that look as if to say do we really have to wear this but they soon forget they have them on and are running around like mad. 

Marvin had a grass seed in his ear the other Sunday and had to be sedated to have it removed so they don't leave home without their snoods now.

Don't forget to check their paws for grass seeds though Guys as they do get in between the toes and will travel up the leg if undetected.

Dessie
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 10:42:21 PM »
Oh my, poor Buddy!  Ben loves to run in long grass and does a wonderful kangaroo impression!  This is his first summer out on walks and I worry that he will get a grass seed in his ear.  He did dash through some long grass at the beach two days ago and me and my daughter managed to get 'flea darts' off him although it took a couple of minutes.  His usual walk means that I'm getting 'sticky buds' from his coat all evening but they don't do any more than make a matt in the fur.  I do check his ears for seeds but don't think he would tolerate a snood -  just not street cred for my 'hoody' type lad  :lol:  May change my mind though if he is in pain with a rogue seed ;)  I hope Buddy is OK now and I think its a great idea to get him to like the vet.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 08:15:25 AM »

Actually it was my idea, but the nurse who responded to me did seem to agree it was a good one! To be honest we have rarely seen the same face twice since we joined, despite the fact that we know one of the vets a little from elsewhere.

Do you think they will charge us for these visits? I do hope not as I think it will help them as much as us.

As for checking his ears! I can't believe how fast this one vanished inside. He was fine before we left home, I am certain there were no little blighters on his inner ear flap. He was fine most of the walk. I think in less than 10 minutes it must have worked it's way in. And sooooo tiny too!

I think I really will make a snood despite OH's threats. He was in so much pain/discomfort with it.

He's absolutely fine now though. And not getting any special treatment from us now. Aren't we mean! :005:

No they certainly shouldn't charge, just for weighing and a wee look about! we don't. I'd mention the fact you keep seeing different vets, say to the recsptionist cos she'll know how they work it, and see if you can ask for a particular one. Our vets rotate so people can se them at different surgeris, and we always have lots of requests for particular vets.

Hope he's feling fine today bless him. :luv:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »
Poor little Buddy! It sounds like he was a very brave little lad at the vet's though, you wouldn't catch Bella being able to handle that!

Cocker kisses from Bella to her macho man  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk