Author Topic: What's wrong with Max?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
What's wrong with Max?
« on: June 25, 2006, 04:41:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

Any opinions on this one please?!...

Just got back from Max's usual Sunday afternoon romp through the local fields & swim in the streams. While we were out, he was rolling round a lot in the long grass & doing that thing where he throws himself to the ground head first, like when they're rolling in something they shouldn't!! He also stuck his head underwater a few times when he was swimming.  ::)

All of this is pretty normal for him so we didn't think anything of it,  but then as the walk went on, he kept throwing himself down & rubbing his head/ears along the ground & also kept shaking his head a lot. Our first thought was a grass seed in his ear, so we had a really thorough look when we got in - shone a ruddy great torch down there & everything, but they both appear clear.  :huh:

We've checked him all over, including his eyes & feet for rogue grass seeds etc. He's still shaking his head quite a bit though & scratching his ear with his foot - do you think he may have some water in his ear? That's the only other thing we can think of! If so, will it just work it's way out by itself or is there anything we can do for him? He doesn't appear to be in pain but something is obviously bugging him. I was massaging him a bit just now behind his ears, to see if I could disperse any water that might be in there but I don't know if i'm just making it worse?  :huh:

Any ideas??!!  :-\

Thanks!!

Kath & Max

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Re: What's wrong with Max?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 04:54:21 PM »
hi kath - it could well be a grass seed by late golden cocker did the same kept shaking his head and putting it to one side, we could not see a grass seed at all, I was quite concerned so took him immediately to the vet they had a look down his ear and there was a grass seed in it,  it had gone down so far that they had to give him a local anaesthetic to get it out.   I would be incline to get it checked as i know grass seeds can do a lot of damage to cockers ears, in fact Finley dad had his ear perforated by a grass seed.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 05:15:34 PM »
I agree with Wndy - if thr's no obvious discharge or waxy brown exudate, indicating an infection, I'd get him looked at. Check undr his ears too, in case the fur under thr had caught something - Ham hates the burrs that get stuck there!
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 06:40:21 PM »
Thanks guys - think we'll have to keep an eye on him tonight & if necessary he'll be off to the vets tomorrow morning!!  :-\

Having said that, I'm really hoping it may just be water in his ear cos he's stopped scratching at it & is only doing the odd head shake now, so fingers crossed! He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or anything & we've just had another look with a bigger brighter torch & still can't see anything. We've checked all round his ears too & brushed him everywhere, so there definately aren't any stray burrs or seeds etc. on the outside for sure.  :huh:

He started rolling etc after he'd had his swim so that was why we thought it might be water, but then again he could have just rolled for the fun of it & then got a seed stuck & so kept rolling etc - no way of knowing for sure I guess!!  ::)

These little ones do keep us on our toes eh?!  :luv:

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 07:35:16 PM »
Leave the ear well alone and see if he stops. Messing with it could make it worse  ;) If he stops then he's prob OK but if he carrys on then Id take him to the vet so they can have a look ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 08:04:37 PM »
Thanks Pammy - we've left him alone & now he's running round playing like normal (he comes awake this time of night when it's cooler & demands attention - he's currently chasing hubby round the garden with 2 balls in his mouth!!) & to be honest he's only doing the odd shake every now & then so maybe it was just water? We'll see how he goes overnight etc. Luckily, the vet is within walking distance about 5 mins away so we can always pop in tomorrow.  :luv: ::) :luv:

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:47:42 PM »
I know that when Ben has been swimming for any length of time - he hears things  :005:  I haven't posted until now as it only happens occassionally and disappears within an hour or so.  He does the nose to the ground with the ears on 'lookout' and it's as if he knows that something underground is waiting to be dug up!  He is intent on getting this 'thing' and will dig or throw himself at it  :lol:  As this behaviour has disappeared so fast I'm sure it's water in the ears ;)

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 10:31:33 AM »
Update on Max - poor little fella is currently at the vets waiting for the end of morning surgery so he can have a grass seed removed from his ear!! Well they think it's a grass seed - either that or a small lump of wax that looks like one or maybe even something else. They said it was fairly close to his eardrum & was looking a bit red & sore, so they wanted to whip it out ASAP for him. Funnily enough, he's hardly scratched or shaken his head at all today & we pretty much just popped him in to be on the safe side, assuming they'd have a quick look & tell us he was fine - we were in the middle of his walk & had a big football with us!!

God, I HATED leaving him there - he had to be dragged into the back room & I'm desperate to have him home again - counting the hours - they said about 12 ish hopefully. Thank god that hubby is off today so at least I've got a calming voice of reason with me - I'd be over-reacting if I was on my own!!

:huh: :luv: :'( :luv: :huh:

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 10:38:52 AM »
Hour and a bit to go then max will be back and making the most of the biggest fuss he has experienced since you first picked him up, iof i was him the first thing i would do tomorrow is go and find another grass seed! ;)

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 11:32:20 AM »
Yeah you're right - thanks Hamfam!!

He's such a funny little soul - the house is soooooooo weird without my little shadow!!  :luv:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 11:38:07 AM »
I'm sure Max will be fine altho mayb a wee bit sore.

Not long now till you get him home again Cocker  :-* from Fern

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 11:47:42 AM »
thank you - resisting the urge to call the vet & check he's ok!!!!!!!!!!!!
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 11:49:33 AM »
Awwww, poor Max and poor you! I'd be exactly the same if it was Alfie...

I'm sure he'll feel a lot better after they've removed the offending item from his ear though. Sending lots of cocker cuddles from me and Alfie  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »
Let us know after you have collected him.

I imagine lots of cuddles are in order tonight!

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 12:42:51 PM »
Woo hoo - just called & they said he was fine - offending grass seed is out & he came round well & he's now sleeping it off but they like to keep pups in for observation for a couple of hours afterwards so we can't pick him up till 4pm!! Gonna rush round & do all my bits & pieces round the house now, so I can spend all night spoiling him - hee hee!!  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!