Author Topic: Ticks?  (Read 7528 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ticks?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2003, 09:16:44 AM »
Would they be easy to feel

initially no, but when the little beastie starts drinking, it gets big and fat - and all the ones I've seen have been GREEN (though I think you can get red ones too) - like small hard pea. If you get the magnifying glass out, you can see its little legs flailing as it drinks - 'orrible things  ;D                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Ticks?
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2003, 09:42:00 AM »
Mental note to self - do not check COL while eating breakfast :P ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Ticks?
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2003, 11:48:51 PM »
We've had the red ticks on our cocker. I didn't know about them at first and initially thought she had a wart. Fortunately someone told us you can get them off if you dab them in T.C.P. use tweezers and pull and to check you have got everything out squirt a small amount of washing up liquid in a dish and put the tick in it. This helps immobilise it whilst you check it thoughly (then sqaush till dead so it can't find another victim!) If they have engorged themselves with blood they will drop off only to jump on again at a later date so watch out for little coffee bean shaped objects on the floor and squash them too otherwise as  the terminator said "I'll be back !"                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Ticks?
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2003, 08:41:41 PM »
I've just got rid of a tick on Fletch's head - it was the first time I'd seen one.  I sprayed it with flea spray - within a couple of hours it was dead and had fallen out.  I then put some antiseptic (detoll) on the spot just to make sure.                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Ticks?
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 09:05:51 PM »
Been busy with report cards  :-X all week so haven't had time to catch up on all the threads. Just thought I'd let you know that Dessie's nail varnish remover tip worked quite well - took a while though.  It killed the tick but the little sucker didn't fall off - I still had to get the 'tick picker outer'.  I now also have a few on the spot frontline treatments in the cupboard just incase we get another 'infestation'. :P                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Ticks?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2003, 09:32:17 AM »
Ok quick tick lesson for those of you who were not bought up on a farm and have not had the constant company of the things!

Ticks startoff as small and white sort of the same shape as a piece of sweetcorn. They wait in long grass untill a suitable meal provider walks by. They then attach them selves to their host by burying their heads under the skin. :-X

They then start to drink and appear to change colour to red. This is because they are transparent and you can see the blood they have drunk through their skin!

When they have gorged them selves they simply drop off and the cycle starts again!

A farmers way to get them off is to burn their head with a hot (not lit) match. Another way is to coat their head with vaceline so they suffocate and full off. What ever you do make sure that the head does come out (it is a black dot with horns) otherwise this can get infected.

Itching yet??? ;D                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Ticks?
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2003, 09:46:26 AM »
Yeeeeuuuugh :)                    
Anita

Anonymous

Ticks?
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2003, 01:34:40 PM »
oh my and there was me just thinking about goin to get some food, think I'll wait a while now  :-X  ::)  ;)                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Ticks?
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2003, 02:15:03 PM »
shall i make your skin cruel more - i've been biten by two - they are not supposed to bite humans.

My dad decided on the farmers technique and attacked me with a match!!!!!!!!! :o Yeah thanks dad!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Anonymous

Ticks?
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2003, 02:34:01 PM »
lololol @ your Dad  mind you dunno why I am laughing mine would too given the chance...  ;D                    

Offline Logan

• Site Member
Ticks?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2003, 03:28:32 PM »
I've always used nail varnish (the coloured stuff not the remover) on ticks, they always fall out within a couple of hours - then you can see them when they fall out, you don't want to squish one into your carpet, they make one hell of a mess.  :P :P

Reminds me of when I was in china, the guy next door stood on a cockroach on his way home, didn't think much of it until hundreds of baby cockroaches started hatching from his carpet - he's stood on a pregnant mum bug - euch.  :P

That was just for all of you breakfast readers  ;)

But the nailvarnish thing really works.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ticks?
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2003, 03:43:07 PM »
Mmmm, I could just go a bag of maltesers  ;D                    

Anonymous

Ticks?
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2003, 04:00:31 PM »
Mmmm, I could just go a bag of maltesers  ;D

yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Ticks?
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2003, 08:52:02 AM »

Reminds me of when I was in china, the guy next door stood on a cockroach on his way home, didn't think much of it until hundreds of baby cockroaches started hatching from his carpet - he's stood on a pregnant mum bug - euch.  :P

That was just for all of you breakfast readers  ;)

eeeeeeeuuuuuucccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh that has to be one of the grossest things EVER :-X                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional