Author Topic: Teeth Cleaning  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Teeth Cleaning
« on: April 23, 2003, 11:07:11 AM »
Now that Monty (almost 9months) has got all his teeth I thought I'd have a go at cleaning them -  :o well he won't have a bar of it - I pop him up on the side where he gets groomed - but he wriggles so much it's virtually impossible to get his toothbrush in his mouth at all - without almost jamming it down his throat! - how I am supposed to go "up and down like bunny rabbits ;)" - is a mystery.  At first he thinks it's a game - but after a few minutes of wrestling with him and trying to shove a non edible gadget in his mouth - I can tell he gets a bit annoyed and attempts to escape ::).
At the moment his teeth are lovely and white - should I have been cleaning his teeth from early puppyhood to get him used to it? and how do you lot manage it? :-                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 03:33:26 PM »
Hi Jen

Yes you're right - you should definitely start young when training a pup to accept tooth brushing, it will be an even bigger battle if you leave it until he's older :) You may find it easier if you buy those little rubber brushes that fit over your finger rather than use a toothbrush - most pet stores stock them these days. Also if he's really fidgety, then wait until you have another pair of hands available, then you can do the teeth cleaning while someone else holds the little wiggler still ;D                    
Jane

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 07:41:34 PM »
I use the logic toothpaste and I was let to believe that there isn't any need to actually brush the teeth with this paste, just put some on your finger and I usually just rub/wipe it along their teeth, they love it.

Dessie :D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 08:27:17 PM »
Vegas and Dallas love it - they sit at attention as soon as the toothbrush and toothpaste comes out and show mummy their lovely pearly whites:) Brook also shows his teeth but not quite in the same way :-X Anyway Jen, if hes not used to it start off slowly and build up the process gradually. For the first couple of days just put some toothpaste on your finger and let him taste it that way. Then use the toothbrush either with or without the toothpaste and do a couple of teeth at a time. Once you've done that give him a little treat or play a little game and he should associate getting his teeth cleaned with nice things. I find the finger toothbrush easier to use. Failing that, just pin him to the deck and ram the toothbrush in his gob ;) ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 08:31:43 PM »
Failing that, just pin him to the deck and ram the toothbrush in his gob ;) ;D

ROTFL ;D ;D

I shall try all things suggested.  THANKYOU very much chums ;)                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 09:21:02 PM »
Failing that, just pin him to the deck and ram the toothbrush in his gob ;) ;D

LOL......I've no doubt when I try it that it will come down to this ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 09:59:25 AM »
I've bought some Fragaria 6c at the advice of a 'collie' friend - but I haven't yet been confident enough to use it  :-[  Any advice about it's use on cockers???                    

Anonymous

Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 11:17:53 AM »
ROTF @ Gill  ;D ;D ;D ;D  love it.. lololol...                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2003, 12:17:51 PM »
I've bought some Fragaria 6c at the advice of a 'collie' friend - but I haven't yet been confident enough to use it  :-[  Any advice about it's use on cockers???  

Hi Jo

This topic came up a few days ago. Have a look here :) Fragaria is worth a try but it seems to have variable results so don't expect too much ;)                    
Jane

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2003, 01:13:07 PM »

Hi Jo

This topic came up a few days ago. Have a look here :) Fragaria is worth a try but it seems to have variable results so don't expect too much ;)

Thanks Jane - I missed this thread completely  :-                    

Sue H

Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2003, 04:01:36 PM »
Barley's favourite toothpaste is Colgate raspberry flavoured gel (the kids stuff) and has had a variety of toothbrushes, ranging from glow in the dark, Power-Rangers, Mickey Mouse etc  :D  After brushing, she likes to rinse and spit using the flushing toilet method  ;D                    

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2003, 07:36:23 PM »
We have been brushing Scooby's teeth since he was a tiny tot.  He seems to quite like it as he likes the taste of the toothpaste.  At obedience class last week the trainer chose Scooby to demonstrate a general health check.  Scooby squirmed and growled as he tried to check his ears and teeth.  I was really upset because he declared Scooby had a dominance issue infront of everyone.  He's absolutely fine with us checking his teeth though - don't understand.

Emma                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2003, 08:10:32 PM »
I would have thought that any trainer worth their salt would realise that when a puppy is teething, he may find having his mouth examined somewhat painful :( At our training class, we don't tend to force the issue of looking at mouths until pups have finished teething for this reason. Don't worry about this Emma - it is quite understandable that Scooby did not like having his mouth examined by the trainer - it does not mean he has a dominance issue!                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2003, 01:56:45 PM »
I would have thought that any trainer worth their salt would realise that when a puppy is teething, he may find having his mouth examined somewhat painful :( At our training class, we don't tend to force the issue of looking at mouths until pups have finished teething for this reason. Don't worry about this Emma - it is quite understandable that Scooby did not like having his mouth examined by the trainer - it does not mean he has a dominance issue!

From what I see on other boards -- trainers can be very quick to make sweeping statements about a dog without knowing what he is normally like. I wouldn't like a public prodding and would probably grumble too. Any growl is often automatically said to be a dominance issue when, as Jane says, it could just be he has a sore mouth. I wish they would say - this is what a dominance issue "might" look like if they have to say anything at all. I have seen and heard of so many owners who experience this who then feel very embarrassed and upset.

Poor Scooby - you keep at it with him. He's a lovely boy ;D  :-*  :-*                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2003, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks for your words of support Jane and Pammy.  We don't feel Scooby is a dominant dog and were really upset by the trainers comments last week.  Scooby's new teeth are popping through all the time at the moment and I'm sure his mouth feels very tender.  Thanks again.

Emma