Author Topic: Teeth Cleaning  (Read 6495 times)

Offline funky

• Site Member
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2003, 01:32:06 PM »
Hi
I've been reading the various threads on teeth cleaning.
On one it said that they used colgate raspberry toothpaste and various others. I thought I read somewhere that human toothpaste was not good/poisonous for dogs. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or am I just imagining reading this. Thanks ???                    

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2003, 04:50:30 PM »
Hi
I've been reading the various threads on teeth cleaning.
On one it said that they used colgate raspberry toothpaste and various others. I thought I read somewhere that human toothpaste was not good/poisonous for dogs. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or am I just imagining reading this. Thanks ???

Both my vet and Poppy's breeder told me the same thing. I always use special dog toothpaste from the pet shop - meat flavour - delicious!!  :-X                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2003, 04:52:48 PM »
In general, human toothpastes are not good for dogs although I wouldn't go as far as saying they are poisonous. When we brush our teeth, we spit out the paste afterwards & rinse - dogs can't do this usually (when none of the ones I know can :D) so they will swallow the toothpaste. Human toothpaste contains all kinds of chemicals that may cause tummy upsets if swallowed so it's best to use toothpastes made for pets if poss.                    
Jane