Author Topic: Chloe problem desperately need info.!!  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Chloe problem desperately need info.!!
« on: June 21, 2003, 01:45:38 PM »
Once again Chloe has developed a problem, this time with her anal glands.  When I took her about her ears, I told the vet to check her glands as she was scooting a lot.  The glands were full of infection.  He didn't take it all out as she was so sore but he gave her antibiotics as well as Antirobe capsules to dry it up.  A week later I took her back as she started scooting again.  They were full again with little bits of infection in them. (sorry for being so graphic, panic has set in)  He emptied them again and has given her 10 days of Antirobe capsules.  He says that if these don't work then the only alternative is to remove the glands.  He is very reluctant to do this as there are problems with faecal incontinence for some dogs afterwards.  We are just praying that it came back because a week was not long enough for the tablets to work.
I am just desperate to know what to do.  This baby has enough to cope with trying to battle her AIHA, without adding more ops to the list.  I give her weetabix every morning but the vet suggests adding bran flakes to try bulk her stools up.  Does this work?  Does anyone know of anything else that works better without changing her complete diet?  Sometimes I just feel so heartsick that my baby never seems to get more than two weeks strung together before something else goes wrong. :'(                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 02:34:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about Chloe, Sheryl but hopefully this latest course of antibiotics will work. When we had a Cocker with this problem, we gave her All-Bran (has more fibre than Bran Flakes I think). You could also give Chloe more fruit & veg, if she's able to eat them. Fingers crossed an op won't be needed anyway & that adding some fibre to the diet does the trick :)                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 04:58:14 PM »
Poor Chloe, as if she doesn't have enough to contend with already :( I hope things are going well Sheryl and that she is soon over this problem                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 11:22:56 AM »
I've just seen this - hope Chloe has improved :)                    
Anita

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 11:55:38 AM »
 This baby has enough to cope with trying to battle her AIHA, without adding more ops to the list.   :'(  

I too hope that Chloe is doing OK.  Dogs do get over AIHA - I have a bitch who has just turned 9 yrs old and she has been OK now and off all medication for 18 mths.  She has as much energy as a puppy and looks a picture of health.  I will never have her vaccinated again but I am sure the trigger was stress when we were moving!  Hope this helps.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2003, 10:30:47 AM »
Linda.  I am so pleased that your baby was able to get over the AIHA, that is good news indeed.  However, Chloe has not been so lucky. :'(  She has had this for four and a half years now and she cannot come off medication.  They have tried but each time it caused a relapse and each one more severe than the previous one.  Having coped with Chloe and her 'missing' immune system for all these years, there is not much people can tell me about this disease that I don't already know, have seen or have paid for ;D  Still, the outcome for many of these babies is death so even with Chloes severity of illness, I count myself lucky.....

Jane what types of fruit would be best?  I think we still have a problem, despite the bran.  It seems she is going more but it doesn't seem to be bulking up at all.  I tried to do some research and saw a few sites that say that obese dogs seem to have more of a problem.  Is that something you have heard of?  Chloe certainly is more plump than thin.!!  Not much I can do about that.  Her long term lung damage puts paid to any exercise more than a gentle stroll.  I think the vet is trying to get me to empty her glands once a fortnight.  Does anyone else do this?  I love her to bits but I cannot see myself being able to do that.  Of course if everyone else does I will have to consider myself a wimp and get on with it ;D ;D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 11:35:42 AM »
Hi Sheryl

Yes I think overweight dogs are more prone to anal gland probs as their digestive systems are perhaps more sluggish than a slim dog's. If your vet is willing to teach you how to empty Chloe's glands, then I would say go for it - we always empty our own dog's glands, not a nice job but once you get the knack, it's quick & easy to do.

As for what fruit to feed, well, whatever Chloe likes really - our lot like apples, banana, strawberries, melon, you name it really (no grapes though as eaten in excess they can apparantly be toxic)                    
Jane

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 12:08:39 PM »
Many thanks Jane.  Luckily, with the exception of apples (which she always throws back up) Chloe is a fruitaholic.  Will try to add more exercise as I had a feeling that the obesity thing may have been true.  There were just too many websites that said the same thing.  Looks like I will have to join the ranks of anal gland emptiers :P  How often should that be?  Don't want to be too enthusiastic..!!                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2003, 10:52:55 PM »
How often should that be?  Don't want to be too enthusiastic..!!

As often as you think it needs to be done Sheryl - you can usually recognise the signs that the glands need emptying eg rubbing bottom along the ground or turning round quickly to nibble at base of tail.                    
Jane

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 10:57:20 AM »
However, Chloe has not been so lucky. :'(  She has had this for four and a half years now and she cannot come off medication.  

Cheryl - I am so sorry (I hadn't realised she had AIHA for so long).  Did you attend the seminar organised by the Canine Immune Mediated Disease Awareness (CIMDA) group last year?  There is a CIMDA support group on Yahoo and if you don't know about it I can give you details.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 01:28:55 PM »
How often should that be?  Don't want to be too enthusiastic..!!

As often as you think it needs to be done Sheryl - you can usually recognise the signs that the glands need emptying eg rubbing bottom along the ground or turning round quickly to nibble at base of tail.

Do they start to smell a bit too, Jane :-. Thought i read that some where.?                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!