Author Topic: What dry food?  (Read 3156 times)

Offline bernie

• Site Member
Re: What dry food?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 09:45:29 AM »

Ruby has Purina Pro-Plan  puppy, as advised by her breeder. It seems to suit her.  She does have a few of our left overs too (although our vet said she does'nt need anything else) but she is not getting fat and is fit and well. (our cats go made for the puppy pro-plan for some reason, they are always on a mission to steal some and prefer it to their own food)
Love Bernie, Ruby and Ted x

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 10:27:09 AM »
We feed Blue on Wagg - before we changed I had checked the ingredients and had been satisfied that they were fine.  I have got to say that his coat is the shiniest that it has ever been since changing to Wagg. 

A few times a week I mix with pasta, but otherwise he has it moistened with water.

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 06:27:21 PM »
I've gone with Wagg too, and I must admit my dogs all look great, lots of energy and it's very cheap! ;)
Tia is on a low fat diet at the moment, but I may try to get her back on it in time.
The girls get fresh fruit and veg too, but Jack turns his nose up at that. ::)
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Cookie mama

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 02:56:25 AM »
Cookie is on Purina Pro Plan Adult Lamb & Rice...I think he just started becoming allergic to it, he has been eaten for years (since a puppy). Lately, he is having itchy sking, scratching at ears, shaking of the head, rubbing faces on carpeting, licking, biting, sneezing like symptoms...I suspect he has a food allergy. Seriously consider switching to another brand or formula. Any suggestions? Would sensitive skin & stomach formula helps to improve his health condition?   :huh:

http://www.proplan.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=91

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 07:48:55 AM »
Coco has been on Arden Grange with Naturediet wet, though I am now feeding her raw.  Before that she had James Wellbeloved and Burns.  All 3 are good quality and natural foods.  I guess it just depends what suits your dog.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 08:40:07 AM »
barkley has been on james wellbeloved since we brought him home. he wasn't exactly thrilled by the puppy variety but would eat it over time. since switching to the junior variety, he definitely eats with more relish but nothing like as quickly as when we occasionally give him some wet nature's diet. his coat has always been shiny on jwb and many people compliment him on his figure :005: but i'm not convinced that he's thriving on it as well as he would be on a raw diet. the prospect of switching is very daunting though...
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 09:06:53 AM »
It is daunting at first but once you do it it is not that hard!  The thing is not to get too hung up on what you are feeding, quantities etc.  As long as you are feeding a mixed, balanced diet I am sure you will be fine. If you are not too confident you can always use one of the ready made BARF mixes to start with.   I have just bought 30 packs of chopped tripe and beef and tripe mix so now I am committed!  That tripe first thing in the morning is really revolting though!  :o  What a devoted mummy I must be.  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 09:21:31 AM »
Cookie is on Purina Pro Plan Adult Lamb & Rice...I think he just started becoming allergic to it, he has been eaten for years (since a puppy). Lately, he is having itchy sking, scratching at ears, shaking of the head, rubbing faces on carpeting, licking, biting, sneezing like symptoms...I suspect he has a food allergy. Seriously consider switching to another brand or formula. Any suggestions? Would sensitive skin & stomach formula helps to improve his health condition?   :huh:

http://www.proplan.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=91
You might want to check with the manufacturer whether any ingredients have changed at all. Sometimes they also put general ingredients on the label like "cereal" - which can be all sorts of things - so they can use the cheapest available without having to change the labels all the time (which is expensive).

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 10:20:08 AM »
but they also get Raw mince, raw egg and sardines in tomato sauce, usually one of these a day, mixed with a little AG, as well as a variety of raw veg and fruit. 

Just a word of warning - its is usually better not to mix raw and dry complete food in the same meal.  Each bit is digested at different rates and can give the dog a tummy ache  ;)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 10:21:51 AM »
Jock is also on a Hills product but this is only due to him having to lose weight  ph34r (this one you can only get from vet >:()

Bet you can get it from an online vet store like vetuk or the like - do a UK only google search and I'll bet a £5 you'll find it cheaper than you are getting from your vet  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 11:03:54 AM »
Jock is also on a Hills product but this is only due to him having to lose weight  ph34r (this one you can only get from vet >:()

Bet you can get it from an online vet store like vetuk or the like - do a UK only google search and I'll bet a £5 you'll find it cheaper than you are getting from your vet  ;)

You owe me a fiver ;) :005: I've just been on and done a search - no joy ;) There is one similar but not the same and it's actually just £1 over my vets price ;)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 11:17:06 AM »

You owe me a fiver ;) :005: I've just been on and done a search - no joy ;) There is one similar but not the same and it's actually just £1 over my vets price ;)

b*****  >:(  Will a £5 into WSPA do??  ;)  I am gob-smacked - I really thought you'd find it cheaper - oh well you cant win 'em all  ::)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
You can buy Hills Science Plan on ebay.  I've no idea how the prices compare though.
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »
You can buy Hills Science Plan on ebay.  I've no idea how the prices compare though.

This is a prescribtion diet one and trust me I've tried everywhere ;)  Got a friend who works for an animal food supplier and he spoke with the Hills rep he deals with and they only sell this one through the vets  >:(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 05:55:43 PM »

This is a prescribtion diet one and trust me I've tried everywhere ;)  Got a friend who works for an animal food supplier and he spoke with the Hills rep he deals with and they only sell this one through the vets  >:(

I tried to get Hills I/D (another one of their prescription only foods) cheaper than the vets - no joy at all.....only the vets stock it and prescribe it at the slightest little thing  :shades:

Is it actually regulated in the same way as prescription drugs - or is it just that Hills only allow vets to stock certain ranges....??? Could I go into my vets and buy a tin without a prescription??
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club