Author Topic: Picky Eating  (Read 5718 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Picky Eating
« on: June 23, 2003, 12:31:24 PM »
Lottie has totally changed with regards her eating habits during the past 3 months plus.  She was always such a greedy little thing, eating anything and everything she was given with relish :) but that has all stopped.

She has always been on JWB but really picks at it these days.  I have added numerous things to it to make it more tempting (cheese, egg and now 'Butchers' tinned tripe).  It may encourage her to eat more but tbh, she still manages to leave the JWB.  It is a rarity for her to finish a meal. ???   She is not off food...she loves her treats and would willingly eat any of our food if I let her.  I occasionally give her chicken and rice or pasta which she eats with relish.

I would love her to enjoy her food like she used to so should I be thinking about changing her food and if so to what???  She is definately slimmer than what she was :(

Any advice appreciated ;)

Mary                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Picky Eating
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 12:58:22 PM »
Hiya Mary,

I'd be interested on replies to this thread to, as you know I have the same problem with Buttons.
Although, have seen a change in the last few days.
The reason is Roana, Roana = competition ;)
After looking after Roana my friends cocker since Thursday night, i have seen a remarkable change in Buttons eating habit. So far she has eaten everymeal put down to her :D
(being JWB & tripe mix)
The dogs are not competitive as such over food, no growling, food guarding and are quite happy to swap bowls half way thru. But I do think that there is more pressure for her to eat as otherwise Roana will eat it for her ;) ;D

Gilly                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Picky Eating
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 04:14:45 PM »
Candy is a strange eater too.  She is also on JWB.  The first two weeks I had Georgia she was quite good and ate everything but I think it was the competition as Gilly had with Buttons/Roana.  

She has now gone back to just taking a few mouthfuls if that and leaving the rest.  I have found that if I just put a tiny amount in the bowl she'll eat it most of it.  Whereas if I put a fullish bowl in front of her she won't touch it.  Does that make sense?  (Although the other day I put plain boiled rice and chicken in front of her as a treat and it didn't touch the sides!  ;D)

I know you've said that Lottie's slimmer but (under all that puppy coat!) she doesn't seem underweight does she?  

I've come to realise that Candy isn't a big eater and as she's healthy in every other way I try not to worry about her.  She eats when she's ready and if that happens to be a tiny amount once a day then that's just the way she is.

The others may have other comments/things to consider - but that's my thoughts.  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Picky Eating
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 04:28:09 PM »
Hiya Mary,

The reason is Roana, Roana = competition ;)

Gilly

We have this too! :D Our girls have to eat up when they are fed because the others will  eat their share aswell!

And if the other dogs don't then the cat will have a munch!!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Picky Eating
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 04:50:07 PM »
Mary, I wonder if Lottie is about to come in season. If you say she has up to now been a good eater (whereas Gilly's Buttons (I hope I'm right) has always been a bit picky) it might be down to that.
Also you should check inside her mouth just to make sure she hasn't got an ulcer or any soreness.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Picky Eating
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 05:17:21 PM »
(whereas Gilly's Buttons (I hope I'm right) has always been a bit picky)

No Michele, you are 100% right ;)
Actually I usually do what Loraine does and try and feed small quantities as for some strange reason she eats better this way ???                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Picky Eating
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 05:57:37 PM »
Mary, I wonder if Lottie is about to come in season. If you say she has up to now been a good eater (whereas Gilly's Buttons (I hope I'm right) has always been a bit picky) it might be down to that.
Also you should check inside her mouth just to make sure she hasn't got an ulcer or any soreness.

No Michele, I don't think it's to do with her season as she's been like this for the last 3/4 months and she gradually began to get pickier.  She also does as Candy and devours others food such as chicken & rice or pasta if I have occasionally fed her this.  She also enjoys her treats which are hard/crunchy which would indicate that there is nothing wrong with her mouth ???

Along with Loraine and Gilly, I have reduced her portions and this does seem to help a bit.  I wouldn't consider her 'skinny'  just not as solid as other Cockers.  I just wish she would enjoy her food more like she used to :-  As she does enjoy 'other' food I am wondering if it's worth changing her diet completely ???  But to what? :-                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Picky Eating
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 06:02:42 PM »
Hi Mary,if mine are being a bit picky with their food I find a little cooked minced beef added to the complete food works wonders ;D Get the free flow mince and cook in the frying pan with a little added water. It is very difficult to seperate from the complete food. If she is well I wouldn`t worry too much. Some of mine go off their food when the weather is warm. I feed later on when it has cooled down a little.
Tracey.                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Picky Eating
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 08:50:39 PM »
Mary - I think she could be trying it on :- Jasper used to do this and I tried everything - in the end I stuck with the Nutro adding just little bits of tuna, pasta, raw egg, cooked chicken - but that's it - it goes down and it's his choice - take it or leave it pal ;D He's never a guzzler but he eats and is well and happy - he'll never be as stocky as other cockers but that's him. Buddy on the other hand is a chunky little toad whoe eats the same as Jasper - with the odd supplement of cooked chicken bones :'( SOme are meant obe hearlty eaters and chunly - others aren't. If Lottie seems happy and healthy - then I wouldn't worry - is she's not, then a check at the vets could be in order.

hth - give her a hug from me ;D :-*                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Picky Eating
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 10:04:10 PM »
I agree Pammy...I think she is trying it on :- but obviously I am worried that she is not getting all the nutrients she should ???

Also, I do like to give her something different as I said (chicken/rice) which she devours but this obviously must stimulate the problem and I'd feel mean not to giving her this now and then :(

Some also seem to give their dogs cereal in the morning....wrong route for me to go down? ???                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Picky Eating
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2003, 05:07:56 PM »
Buddy on the other hand is a chunky little toad whoe eats the same as Jasper - with the odd supplement of cooked chicken bones :'(

Pam as you were bashing away on the keyboard surely you meant to put RAW as opposed to COOKED chicken bones ???                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Picky Eating
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2003, 06:26:40 PM »
Pam as you were bashing away on the keyboard surely you meant to put RAW as opposed to COOKED chicken bones  

I think she was just referring to the recent incident when the cheeky little monkey helped himself to the chicken bones from the bin :)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Anonymous

Picky Eating
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2003, 10:24:22 AM »
:)Sorry to hear your lil baby is off her food!! I know Indie is much younger but she always manages to eat her porridge made with goats milk and a drop of honey!  The breeder told me too that if she completely goes off her feed, they adore home made rice pudding again made with goats milk and honey ;D  It's excellent for rebuilding lost weight!

Good Luck

Emma                    

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Picky Eating
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2003, 11:35:58 AM »

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Picky Eating
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2003, 04:37:48 PM »
Buddy on the other hand is a chunky little toad whoe eats the same as Jasper - with the odd supplement of cooked chicken bones :'(

Pam as you were bashing away on the keyboard surely you meant to put RAW as opposed to COOKED chicken bones ???

Sadly Michele - cooked was right - if you saw my thread under Health - Buddy pinched a cooked chicken bone the other night and ate it :o All seems well though - phew ::)                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional