Author Topic: POOR MONTY  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Jensback

• Site Member
POOR MONTY
« on: November 01, 2006, 08:54:35 PM »
I'm really sad as I write this as I've put these thoughts safely at the back of my head until I have to deal with it on Friday.  My cocker, 4 year old Monty, has a huge (the size of a golf ball and just as hard) growth on the side of his face.  It appeared last week and has grown very quickly.  We took him to the vet, who ruled out the obvious - infection, allegic reaction, sting, teeth problems, mostly because, the growth is rock hard and had grown so quickly.  Monty went in the next day for an op.  We assumed he'd get the lump cut off - and be fine.  The vet looked very worried when we went to get him.  They have no idea what this lump is - we were shown the xray and it's a mass of tissue - really big! they took a biopsy and sent it off for testing. The results are back on Friday.  The vet has told us that they cannot remove the growth because of where it is - we were willing him to tell us something positive - but he just kept telling up to wait for the results.  So that's it at the moment - Friday is the day.  Monty is quite well in himself - we are in bits.  Don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Jen xx

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: POOR MONTY
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 08:58:47 PM »
Hi,

So sorry to hear about Monty, I havn't got any experience of anything similar, but just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and Monty, you must be so worried.

Give him a gentle hug from me and Ben, and we are keeping everything crossed for Friday for you. :luv:

Bens mum

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:02:50 PM »
Sorry I have no advice at all, but I do feel your anguish. Be positive and fingers crossed X

Am thinking of you

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:08:14 PM »
aww so sorry to hear that (((hug))) ...got everything crossed for Friday for you and sending positive thoughts xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 09:24:46 PM »
I do hope you have good news on Friday

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 09:31:37 PM »
Oh, poor you.  You must be so worried.  Hope you get good news on Friday  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 09:35:37 PM »
There is a lab, Murdoch, in our local park who developed a huge growth on the side of his face just below his ear when he was about 1.  It came on really quickly and the owners thought the worst, but the biopsy came back negative.  They did remove the lump just in case so I guess it was in a better position that Monty's.

I'm thinking of you and Monty and hope you will get good news

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 09:43:04 PM »
I met a lab a couple of months ago with a very strange face.  The dog had growths on its face that were totally harmless but although previously removed, were growing back.  I think they were extra bone tissue?  The owner didn't want more surgery and the growths weren't life threatening :shades:  I hope that Monty has good news on Friday  :luv:

Offline princess

• Site Member
  • elliott is my baby
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 10:07:40 PM »
me and elliott are thinking of you and monty we hope you get good news on friday.
paula & elliott

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:12:36 PM »
Fingers, toes & paws crossed for positive news on Friday

:luv:to you all

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 10:21:10 PM »
How worrying for you all Jen, I hope you get good results on Friday. Be sure to let us know asap :bigarmhug:

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 10:32:45 PM »
Poor Monty and poor you.  :'(

I know exactly how you are feeling, I went through a similar thing earlier this year.  Its such an agonising wait, and its very difficult not to think the worst.  :-\

At the beginning of this year, I was sat stroking Sapphi when I suddenly felt a lump on her back. The next morning I called the vets and took her in that day. It was quite a large lump, but there wasn't any obvious entry point for a foreign body to be in it. They took an aspiration of it and sent it off to the lab. We had to wait a week for the results to come back. The possibilities that were discussed were a tumor, infection, allergic recation and foreign body.
When the vet rang me I could tell in her voice something was not right. They'd not been able to get a diagnosis from the aspiration, which isn't altogether uncommon. The lab had offered to run the test again on another sample free of charge. I discussed the options with the vet and in the end we both thought removal was the best way forward. So the next day she went in and had it removed.
The lab carried out a hystology on it which was inconclusive. They think that she could possibly have had a knock, that her body has reacted to.

Sapphi, in herself, had been much quieter than normal for about six weeks. She'd just turned two and we wondered if she'd just grown up a bit and settled down. On the day of the op, I expected her to come home feeling a bit sorry for herself. My OH picked her up on the way home from work, and she came running in the house, all excited like she'd just come back from a walk in the park. I was amazed, but what was the most amazing was that she'd returned to her normal bubbly self that very same day and has remained that way.  The vet said that it must have been giving her alot of pain, to have made her so quiet for so long to return to normal the same day it was removed.

I hope that you get the good news that we did. I just wanted you to know that its not always bad news and there is still hope.

I'll be thinking of you and Monty on Friday.  Sending you positive thoughts and cocker kisses from Barney.  :-*  :-*
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 10:42:30 PM »
Hi Jen,

Wow, it's been a long time since you've been on here and what worrying news you've brought us Jen :huh:  Friday must seem like a lifetime away but everything crossed for you all that the results are ok and that this can be treated :-\

Huge hugs to Monty and to you Jen, sounds like you really need one. ;)

Mary xx

Mary & Lottie x

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 10:44:26 PM »
I have no experience of this but I just wanted to say I hope everything goes well on Friday (((hugs))) to you and Monty
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 11:40:57 PM »
hope you get good news on friday our thoughts are with you
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.