Author Topic: Ringworm/Skin Conditions?  (Read 4992 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Ringworm/Skin Conditions?
« on: June 25, 2003, 08:55:57 PM »
Does anybody know about ringworm in dogs ???
I am looking after my friends dog Roana while she is on holiday in Teneriffe. She dropped her at my house on Thursday night last week. The day before she took her to the vets for worming tablets and a gener checkover. The vet noticed what he called hotspots on her cheeks, after discussion they thought they might have been caused by over excited play fighting with Buttons.
That night I went to see my friend and Roana...I noticed another round redish spot on her belly and one in her armpit. Obviously at this point we then knew that they weren't bites from playbiting...but were unsure exactly what they were. :-
The vet had given Mags an antifungal cream which I have been applying 4 times a day to the mentioned spots. Then on Monday I noticed when I groomed her...she had loads of them..all over her body...on her legs, her body, her tail...everywhere..they are round red lesion type sots with a yellowish crusty skin :'(
I took her back to the vets yesterday..nothing has shown up under the flourescent lamp, but i was told that out of the 4 kinds of fungi...only 2 showup with the lamp. I have now been given a course of antibiotics and a special shampoo.
Obviously I am taking great care...and bathed Buttons as well with the shampoo but after a thorough check I can't find anything on her..saying that tho the incubation period is apparantley 10-12 days :'( :'(
Any advice on preventative measures...I have 2 small children and carpet everywhere.. :-
I feel sooooo bad about this...although I know its not my fault :'(                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 09:10:47 PM »
Gilly - poor poor you. Can't offer any advice - just sympathy :'( :'( :'(                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 11:44:52 AM »
I have never experienced it in cockers but I do know it is common in cats and is very contagious!                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 12:03:11 PM »
When I was 12, I caught ringworm  :o A small circular red rash the size of a 50 pence piece appeared on my back - of course I couldnt see it so didnt know that it was there until someone told me.

At that time there were many stray dogs in the area that I would insist on looking after, some of them were a bit mangy but you know how stubborn kids can be (that was me :D). So I probably caught it from those dogs - thats what the doctor thought anyway.  

If you do an Internet search Gilly, lots of info comes up. But dont worry, its nothng to do with you, just one of those things ;)                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 02:06:47 PM »
If you do an Internet search Gilly, lots of info comes up. But dont worry, its nothng to do with you, just one of those things  

Gee thanks Mike...and there was me sitting thinking that I'd give it to her ::) ;)

Well an update for you all. The vet isn't 100% sure that it is ringworm, and there are a few other skin conditions that have a ringworm type look, but aren't if that makes sense :- The only way to find out for definite is to culture the cells and that takes quite a while. So for now...we have Malaseb shampoo, and 2 different kinds of antibiotics.
I just fell really awful that all this has happened while her mummy is on holiday as she adores her and will be really upset when she comes home :'(                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 05:40:13 PM »
I just fell really awful that all this has happened while her mummy is on holiday as she adores her and will be really upset when she comes home

Gilly I wonder whether it might be a stress related thing if she is missing her mummy!  I have known that kind of thing happen to other cockers as they can become very attached to their owners. ::)                    
Linda
xx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2003, 08:28:19 PM »
well i wish it was something like that but unfortunately it started a couple of day before Mags went away...so don't think it is stress related :-                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2003, 09:08:18 AM »
Gilly, even though the itching started a couple of days before your friend went away it still could be stress related.  The dog would have sensed his owners mood and picked up the signals that she was going away - they are very clever in that respect!                    
Linda
xx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2003, 02:07:23 PM »
Gilly, even though the itching started a couple of days before your friend went away it still could be stress related.  The dog would have sensed his owners mood and picked up the signals that she was going away - they are very clever in that respect!

deffo - my boys clearly know when something's going on and as we get ready for our hol's they become more unsettled :-                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 01:33:51 PM »
I just fell really awful that all this has happened while her mummy is on holiday as she adores her and will be really upset when she comes home :'(

Don't worry - you are obviously doing your best to sort the problem out - she couldn't ask more of you really. She has obviously left her baby in very good hands!

As for preventative measures - i remember a girl at school had it and we were told not to touch her because the infection is transfered by physical contact. I know you can catch it off cattle (dad got it that way) and rotting wood - and any one who is infected.                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Fran

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 01:57:41 PM »
That night I went to see my friend and Roana...I noticed another round redish spot on her belly and one in her armpit. Obviously at this point we then knew that they weren't bites from playbiting...but were unsure exactly what they were. :-
The vet had given Mags an antifungal cream which I have been applying 4 times a day to the mentioned spots. fault :'(
Oh poor you Gilly, you are doing your very best, it seems that Roana most probably had this condition before your friend went on holiday

Take care,
Fran                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 03:32:20 PM »
Hi, just wanted to give you all an update on Roana.
Mags came home last night and obviously came straight here to pick up her baby ;) She took her back to the vets this morning and they are still not 100% sure what it is. Tho now they thing it ISN't ringworm.
Poor Roana had to stay at the vets for a wee while and have some skin scrapings done :-X I have just been to see her and bless the wee soul is still as bubbly as ever  :D
They are sending the scrapings away to be tested in the meantime Mags has to increase the baths with the Malaseb shampoo to every 2 days instead of every 4. The vet did mention a skin condition that is quite common in cockers...but for the life of me can't remember the name, has anyone heard of this  ???
I'll keep you posted on the outcome of the scrapings. Thanks for all your kind replies...Buttons is missing her partner in crime like mad but thankfully as they only live 2 doors apart they see each other all the time.

Gilly  :)                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 06:36:46 PM »
I'll keep you posted on the outcome of the scrapings.

Will be interested to hear the results of the scrapings.  Glad it wasn't ringworm as it is very contagious! :D                    
Linda
xx

Offline Anny

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 08:59:20 AM »
We had an outbreak of suspected ringworm 4 years ago.  It was odd, it certainly looked like ringworm but also did not show up under ultra violet light.  We didn't catch it atall and not all the dogs caught it either.  I used a cream from the chemists called Whitfields Ointment after spending a fortune at the vets and not clearing it.  This ointment worked a treat and quite quickly.  It has never returned but i always keep a pot of the ointment in my dog box just in case.

Good luck but don't worry about it, it's the joy of being owned by animals!!!