Author Topic: Indie is still ill!  (Read 10351 times)

Anonymous

Indie is still ill!
« on: July 03, 2003, 02:11:31 PM »
:(Hi all

Just thought I would let you know that Indie is still poorly  :( I took her the vets yesterday as she was being sick and was very lethargic, he gave her some antibiotics and some rehydrating powders and some white medicine which we are too give her 1 hour before her feed!  Although everytime we do this she is sick again.  I have phonned the vet again today and we go at teatime, he said dont feed or water her so I am presuming he is going to xray her, in case she has eaten something she shouldnt have.  She does have quiet times at the moment but she is still having her mad half hours too! I'm so scared its something bad and was wondering if he does have to operate will she be ok? given her age she is 10 weeks tomorrow.  I am so worried, and feel awful if she has got hold of something she shouldnt have we have all been watching her like a hawk!  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Emma                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 02:37:10 PM »
Emma

It's quite normal to fast a dog who has S & D, though holding water is unusual. He may well want to do an x ray or even just palpate her tummy which if she's got water in there may mask some thing if it is something she's eaten and shouldn't have.

There's no point my saying don't worry - coz you clearly are very worried, anyone would be. It'll seem like an age until her time for the vets comes. Try not to be too agitated, Indie will pick up on it and it may upset her even more.

Good luck at the vets - do let us know how she goes on. I have fingers all crossed for you both. :-*

Pam n the boys                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 04:05:47 PM »
Hi Emma

Just wanted to say I hope Indie will be okay - do let us know when you get back what the vet diagnoses, fingers crossed it wont be anything too serious  ;)                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 04:52:59 PM »
I am messaging you privatly to suggets a product which we used on Puppys to rehydrate them.

But You have to promice to ask your vet if they will allow you to use it!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 05:09:44 PM »
Clare, there's no reason why you can't give the info publicly on the forum - I'm sure others might find it useful (assuming you're talking about something like Life Aid and not some illegal substance of course ;D)

Emma, hope Indie feels better soon. We've just had our Katie ill with a sickness bug of some kind & it's taken 5 days to get her more or less right. I would suggest (assuming the vet finds no foreign body etc) that you give her a teaspoon of rehydration solution frequently, perhaps every half hour or so. Often this will stay down when a big gulp of liquid won't. Then when it comes to food tomorrow, very small meals of boiled chicken & rice or scrambled egg made without milk. Keeping my fingers crossed for you & Indie :)                    
Jane

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 05:19:36 PM »
Emma - Sorry that Indie is not well and hope she will soon be better.
Clare - I am intrigued to know about the rehydration stuff for puppies too!! ???                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Anonymous

Indie is still ill!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 06:12:12 PM »
Hi all!

Just come back from the vets, they are still not sure whats wrong with Indie. :( She has had another injection into her muscle which she did not appreciate very much! Its to try and settle her stomach down. The vets is not so sure its a foreign body as he feels she would be more lethargic than what she is,plus her temp is down now and there is no tenderness around her stomach! However he has given me more hydration powders LECTADE which Indie loves and she has managed to keep all her fluids down, just food she can't keep down.  I have to feed her a minute amount of boiled rice every hour, and if she doesnt manage to keep that down, we have to starve her from midnight, she is booked in in the morning for an x-ray and burium meal, and if no foreign bodies show up on that, they are opening her up :'(  So I have everything crossed in hoping that its just a bug.

So there you go, a lot of waffle but I hope you got the idea.

Emma

PS Whilst I have been typing this Indie is having a mad half hour chasing my feet and biting them!! No wonder she is ill ;)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 06:35:43 PM »
If she can still run around then she is still on the right side of being poorly:D give her a hug  from me and I look forward to tomorrows update.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 07:29:17 PM »
she is booked in in the morning for an x-ray and burium meal, and if no foreign bodies show up on that, they are opening her up

I too hope it's a bug Emma and will be thinking of poor little Indie tomorrow and waiting for some news.  Lectade is excellent stuff - I have used it myself with good results. ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 08:09:12 PM »
As Pammy says Emma, if she is running around playing hopefully that is a more promising sign ;)  Hope she manages to keep her food down to put your mind at ease.  Keep us updated ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 09:37:01 PM »
Clare, there's no reason why you can't give the info publicly on the forum - I'm sure others might find it useful (assuming you're talking about something like Life Aid and not some illegal substance of course ;D)

Yes it is Life aid - not illegal at all ;) I wouldn't want to try it myself - have you seen the colour????? - went private because i gave my phone number incase Mrs BoJ had any questions - i don't usually come on the forum at night! and didn't fancy handing my number out to the world! (members of COL can have it)

So here is the info............Life Aid is used for the treatment of Pig Scour normally but you can use it for puppys to keep them hydrated if you are having problems keeping food in them. (NB Ask your vet first!!!!)

To tell if your puppy is dehydraded pinch the skin gently - it should spring back - if it doesn't then they need more liquid.

We have used life aid on a pup which was just a day old - and i have been told that a puppy can be sustained on the formular for as lond as a week. Although they wont put on any weight.

The amasing thing is that alot of vets have not heard of it being used on puppys so don't suggest it! We have a bottle in stock when we have a litter! (a shop 100 yards from my house gives me a free bottle and we can give it back if we don't need it!).

I won't take credit for discovering this product - i was told about it by an amasing lady called Heather Ridley who kindly talked me through trying to save a puppy at 11pm one night!!! Bless her! (do you know her, Jane? - you must do :))

I've got some in stock at the mo so if anyone local needs some (any time night or day) buzz me. Got to do our best for the babies!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Anonymous

Indie is still ill!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 09:49:59 PM »
:)Aww Thank you so much for the support and kind wishes through this worrying time! Clare I have sent you a message!  

Well Indie has had 4 feeds of boiled rice now (1 tablespoon per feed) and fingers, legs, arms crossed she has kept it down :)  I hope I am not tempting fate posting this ::)

So lets hope she carries on the same till morning!!

Thanx again

Emma                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 10:27:07 PM »
Brings back memeories of when dallas was ill :'( Give Indie a big  :-* from me and hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 10:48:18 PM »
I won't take credit for discovering this product - i was told about it by an amasing lady called Heather Ridley who kindly talked me through trying to save a puppy at 11pm one night!!! Bless her! (do you know her, Jane? - you must do :))

Clare -no I don't know Heather Ridley personally but have heard of her excellent reputation for saving new born pups having problems. Actually Michele told me about Life Aid some time ago & it will be part of my whelping kit next time we have a litter :)

Emma - so glad Indie is keeping some food down, that is excellent news :)                    
Jane

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Indie is still ill!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 10:54:28 PM »
:DGood news Emma...pleased to hear it.  Lets hope it continues ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x