Author Topic: Chips  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Chips
« on: July 05, 2003, 12:24:41 AM »
Hi all

Well, I've spent the last couple of hours catching up on all the gossip and going-ons (well with no big brother, I've got all night).  ;D  ;D
I've no earthly idea if this is the right place for this question but I'm sure I'll be moved if it's not.

We're planning to go away for a few days at the end of July and although we've never really seen the need to have Morgan microchipped before (he won't get very far, round here unless he can swim 40 miles or so) - we though it might be good to get it done before we take him to the mainland.

I'd like to hear everyone's views on microchipping so that we can weigh up the pros and cons.  I've heard about migrating??  :- chips but don't know a lot about it.    

I'd be grateful for any advice and information on personal experiences.

Thanks in advance

Shirley                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Anonymous

Chips
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 08:59:57 AM »
Hi Shirley

I am glad you asked this as I have been wondering about it too!!! I have also heard that you can get your dog a tatoo (no not one with a heart and arrow) ;) An identity one, just wondering which would be best!  

Emma                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Chips
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 09:42:55 AM »
Jimmy is chipped and no problems to report here. Was a rather scary looking needle that they used though.......apart from that I can't think of anything negative that would outweigh the positives. :)

I have heard about migrating chips too (probably on another thread on here).......do you need the chip checking every now and again ?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Chips
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 09:54:20 AM »
I used to be dead against microchipping but with the increasing number of pedigree dog thefts & the better technology today (chips are less likely to migrate now), we are gradually having all our dogs chipped. I think the advantages now outweigh the advantages as Colin says. Tattooing is an alternative but best done I think when puppies are quite young - also the disadvantage with hairy dogs like Cockers is that the tattoo can be hard to read & can also fade with time.                    
Jane

Anonymous

Chips
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 09:59:48 AM »
Hi Jane

What are the downsides of microchipping? I know it hurts them, can they get infected or anything like that?

Thanx

Emma

I see waht you mean about the tatoo and cockers                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Chips
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 10:08:27 AM »
The downsides of microchipping aren't anything major - occasionally they will migrate & so be difficult/impossible to find but this is quite rare. I have also read of incompatibilities with different types of scanner - I know sometimes people who regularly travel abroad with their dogs buy their own scanner to take with them just in case ;)
Haven't heard of any infections as a result of microchipping -this shouldn't happen as sterile needles will be used.                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Chips
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 10:44:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  It's probably best to get it done.  I'd never forgive myself if something happened when we're away.
Vet's shut today but will pop in on Monday to find out about appointments and costs, etc.  To be honest, I don't actually know anyone here whose dog has been microchipped - now even sure if the vet has the equipment  ??? - hope so!!
Is it sore?  Will Morgan ever forgive me??  ;D ;D                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Chips
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 10:47:18 AM »
My three are chipped and I do feel better knowing that I have done all I can to ensure that I get them back should they ever go missing :-Brook was about 8 when he had his done and he never even flinched although the vet did warn me to hold tight as he may jump ;) Vegas had his done at 8 weeks and again he was fine(although he cried at the much smaller vaccination needle ::)) and Dallas was 12 weeks and he squealed like a little girl ;D We always scan dogs come booster time just to make sure there are no problems. We haven't had any cases of migrating chips but i have heard of that happening                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Chips
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 04:53:41 PM »
Both my boys are done. Jasper was done at 8 weeks by his breeder - no prob's at all and Buddy done at 12 weeks by my vet - expected a howl as he was a wimp - not a murmer. Both get checked annually and no prob's at all. I've never heard of any infections and understand that migration is largely a thing of the past as the chip is now coated with a substance that bonds to the tissue.

i would always have my dogs done now.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Chips
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 07:27:55 PM »
Millie has been done too - she did yelp, and looked at me as if it was all my fault (which I suppose it was) and looked quite sad for a couple of seconds, but there wasn't much blood and a minute later she was busy trying to eat the hand held scanner and lick the vets face as he was checking it worked  ::)

One thing though, when the nurses fill out the form afterwards, in my experience they tend to put in the "any identifying marks" section "N/A", when both dogs I have had done have identifying marks but they never asked, so they had to get the tippex out!! Just make sure that if Morgan's got any they write them down  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Chips
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 08:05:22 PM »
My 3 are all chipped and only   Archie was bother and gave a little yelp. Alfie chip have moved from his neck and is now just below his shoulder. I get the vet to check all the chips every 6 mths. If Alfies moves much further down I will have him done again. I have checked with the dog warden etc and they said they normally check all the body.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Anny

• Site Member
Chips
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2003, 08:52:12 AM »
All my dogs are microchipped and touch wood nobody has lost a chip.  I now have all litters chipped at 7 weeks before they leave me.  Better to be safe that sorry.                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Chips
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2003, 10:53:45 AM »
Thanks all for the info and advice.  
Kelly, with Morgan being a solid he doesn't really have any distinguishing marks but it's good to know for future reference - my next cocker (nudge, nudge, hubby) may just have some.
Hope Archie's doesn't keep moving.  
All in all it seems like a positive thing to have done so will let you know if Morgan is a wimp when the time comes.
Thanks again   :D                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Chips
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 08:22:06 PM »
hehe - sorry too many cockers, too many colours  ;)
however, my mum's golden girl although being a solid, she does have a distinguishing mark - a large black spot on her tongue!! and the tri coloured cavvy king charles we had some years ago had one black pad on his left hind paw whilst all his others were pinky/white!                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Chips
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2003, 08:32:54 PM »
Ahhhhh, I immediately thought of distinguising marks on his coat - never thought of anything else.  I'm off now to examine Morgan in more detail  ;D thanks again Kelly.  :)