Author Topic: wheezing?  (Read 854 times)

Offline haziefantazie

• Site Member
  • It wasn't me!
wheezing?
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:48:41 AM »
My Cocker has just started wheezing (I think). When he gets really excited he starts to make funny noises, can't really explain what it is :embarassed: It's like when we breathe through our nose with our mouths open! It gets really loud sometimes. My hubby thinks he is just doing it for attention, as i have run to him on the first couple of occasions, he thinks he has got wise to it.
Does anyones elses dog do it, or should I take him the vet? He is active, not ill, no problems really, just this funny wheezing.
Many will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave pawprints in your heart.

Offline PennyB

Re: wheezing?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:57:14 AM »
Difficult to know what it is but I guess sometimes worth asking a vet --- could it be reverse sneezing (to do with the soft palate)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline haziefantazie

• Site Member
  • It wasn't me!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 09:02:52 AM »
Thanks Penny, I will book him in. Best to be safe than sorry ;)
Many will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave pawprints in your heart.

Penel

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »
Sounds like it might be the start of kennel cough, that's what mine have sounded like in the past and then have developed KC.

Offline haziefantazie

• Site Member
  • It wasn't me!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »
Sounds like it might be the start of kennel cough, that's what mine have sounded like in the past and then have developed KC.
What actually is kennel cough? I have heard of it but not sure what it is, or where it comes from? :embarassed:

Penel

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 09:44:31 PM »
It's basically a cough, nothing fancy, just a cough.  Called kennel cough because it passes around really quickly when dogs are near each other.

Offline princess

• Site Member
  • elliott is my baby
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 10:05:44 PM »
how old is your cocker ? im only asking because we had a westies who started wheezing our vets said it was like chronic bronchitis . i dont want to alarm you but i would definately inform your vet and get your cocker checked .our westie was 11.
paula & elliott

Offline haziefantazie

• Site Member
  • It wasn't me!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 07:38:14 AM »
how old is your cocker ? im only asking because we had a westies who started wheezing our vets said it was like chronic bronchitis . i dont want to alarm you but i would definately inform your vet and get your cocker checked .our westie was 11.

He is about 3.5 as we have had him for 2.5 years and the rescue said he was about 1ish.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 10:15:44 PM »
Ben did this on a couple of occassions - both lasting a couple of weeks.  He'd do it anytime though, not just when he was excited?  The vet suggested that it was kennel cough (even though he'd had the extra vaccination) and gave him antibiotics.  Not sure if this helped the kennel cough as that's a virus but it did clear up with no trouble.