Author Topic: Do you use preventative...  (Read 2149 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Do you use preventative...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 07:21:53 AM »
I used to use Frontline on mine very 2 months but stopped about a year ago. Since then Disney has caught fleas twice which proved a nightmare to shift and two other dogs caught them. I also stopped giving wormers routinely and Aspen ended up pooing out a load of roundworms  ph34r  I'm lucky that I can get Frontline etc at cost price so treating 5 pets isn't as pricey as it would normally be (but bad enough!!!) but I think I'll give the garlic another go before I revert back
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 08:12:19 AM »
I think it is quite important to treat if you have cats - any cat who is out and about is likely to have fleas.

Not necessarily.  :shades:  I have 3 adult cats who are out and about all the time in fields, hedges etc and I can't remember the last time any of them had fleas.   Worming is a different matter though - since they are hunters, I do worm them regularly.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 09:01:54 AM »
Yes - but it can be very difficult to tell - because they don't live on the cat, they only jump on to feed.

Most houses that have flea infestations are unlikely to know they even have them - cat fleas are quitw fussy who they bite and don't tend to bite aome humans, but eat others alive.

I have never seen fleas on my cat - but when I notice she has a little flaky skin sometimes, I treat - and it usually clears up, which leads me to believe she did have.

Apparently fleas are the major cause of skin disordes in cats and dogs ;)

To tell you the truth I tyr not to think too much about the fact that my carpets probably play hosts to all kinds of nasties :shades: :005:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 09:03:26 AM »
When my cats have had fleas it was very easy to tell as I had flea bites all round my ankles!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 09:29:40 AM »
Ah - you must be one of the poor people who are attractive to cat fleas then ;) :005:

Not laughing - it is not funny, actually rather painful I would imagine!

I think I may have a bit of a thing about them - like head lice - thankfully my children have not succumbed yet. My sister's kids get them all the time - there is a real problem in the little one's nursery (thankfully they live in England - we are in Northern Ireland).

Things that live in other things (parasites I suppose) give me the creeps.

In saying that - I probably don't frontline as often as recommended - not during winter anyway ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 09:33:43 AM »
Ah - you must be one of the poor people who are attractive to cat fleas then ;) :005:

Thanks!  :005:  Nice to know that I am attractive to fleas at least!   ::)  I guess at least it means I will always know if my cats have fleas!  If they get into the carpet, it is a real pain - luckliy I don't have any carpets any more so much easier.  And it is not really painful but very itchy and not very attractive  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 01:13:11 PM »

Thanks!  :005:  Nice to know that I am attractive to fleas at least!   ::)  I guess at least it means I will always know if my cats have fleas!  If they get into the carpet, it is a real pain - luckliy I don't have any carpets any more so much easier.  And it is not really painful but very itchy and not very attractive  >:(

I had to have an exterminator in to get rid of the fleas in my flat; it was horrid, I had bites everywhere  ph34r

Scruff (the cat) was an indoor cat, and we lived in a second floor flat; so I have no idea how they got in, but once they were there, they didn't go away, and bit both of is  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 11:07:47 PM »
I use the frontline spot on stuff on the dogs a couple of times a year, but they have garlic, which is meant to deter fleas... Seems to work.

The moggies get spot on every other month from March through to Nov/Dec time as I don't want them bringing anything home! One of my cats is also highly allergic to flea saliva as well, so we need to keep the fleas away.

We know if there are fleas about as my hubby gets bitten... I don't :D

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »
I have to frontline Bails, he gets covered in ticks all the time, especially when we are in France, I removed over 40 from him once - in fact I'm quite good at in now ph34r :005:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 06:53:47 PM »
I have to frontline Bails, he gets covered in ticks all the time, especially when we are in France, I removed over 40 from him once - in fact I'm quite good at in now ph34r :005:

Excellent - now I know where to post Daisy when she's covered in the damn things  ;)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me