Author Topic: Worming  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Ange

• Site Member
Worming
« on: July 24, 2003, 08:29:46 PM »
I have just wormed Poppy with 'Panacur' she is 8 weeks, the vet has told me to repeat this at 10 weeks.  I have just read the instructions on the packet and it says that puppies should be wormed at 8 weeks and then at 12 weeks, do you think the vet has got it wrong?                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Worming
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 08:35:43 PM »
I don't know about the vte but when I picked up Millie from my breeder she advised me that she had been wormed at 8 and then 12 weeks (she was 14 weeks when I picked her up) and that I should keep worming her every 4 -5 weeks until she was about 8 months old .. and then do it once every 12 weeks ... dunno if that helps you

:)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Anonymous

Worming
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 08:39:04 PM »
Hi, I got my puppy on Friday and my vet has given me Panacur as well and told me to do the same. Three days now and again in two weeks. It is because i dont know when Beano was last wormed or what with. It wont do her any harm at all. Panacur is an excellent wormer.                    

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 08:50:44 PM »
I was told 8, 10 and 12 weeks with Paddy then monthly till 6 months of age                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Worming
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 10:35:17 PM »
Vegas was wormed on the Panacur paste and he was done at 8, 10 and 12 weeks. He then went onto Endorid monthly until he was 6 months and now they all get Drontal every 3 months.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Ange

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 07:12:36 PM »
Thank you very much for your replies, I will do what the vet has suggested, as it seems normal to worm at 8,10 and then 12 weeks.

Ange                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Worming
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 10:17:11 PM »
;)I always do the puppies every 2 weeks until 12 weeks and then 3 monthly.  :D Linda                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Worming
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 01:31:16 AM »
Panacur is an excellent wormer.

My own personal opinion (for what it's worth ;)) is that Panancur should be removed from the market whilst tests are done to establish the side effects it can cause in some dogs. Whilst most dogs don't appear to suffer any ill effects, I've encountered enough other dog owners who have had problems to question the merits of this product. In Jimmy's case it has twice caused him to go completely demented for hours on end. As a result I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.                    

Anonymous

Worming
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 08:00:24 AM »
actually I agree with Colin here, I use Drontal cos I read a lot of people had problems with panacur and didn't want to touch the stuff, spoke to a few vets and they all said drontal was a better option.  but thats just me... both mine get drontal every 3 months, much to poppys annoyance  ;D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Worming
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 09:33:12 AM »
I don't use Panacur either - it definitely doesn't suit all dogs but for those it does, then it's fine. Like Linda, I worm pups every 2 weeks until they are 12 weeks (using Drontal), then every 3 months.                    
Jane

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 10:39:18 AM »
Like everyone else has said, i use Drontal every three

months as well, ive used it with all my dogs.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Anonymous

Worming
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 03:48:13 PM »
Hi again.
Sorry if i upset anyone by saying Panacur is an excellent wormer. From persaonal experience, i havent had any probs. I know all wormers wont suit all dogs. I actually use Panacur wormers over a wide rance, my horses, pig, cat and dog and i havent experienced any probs.                    

Anonymous

Worming
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2003, 04:20:30 PM »
I dont think anyone would get upset Beano's mum, just sharing views thats all...  :)                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Worming
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2003, 06:54:40 PM »
Sorry Beano's Mum, I wasn't having a go at you, just offering a counter view re Panacur...........opinions are formed by individual experience and unfortunately mine have not been good with this wormer.  I'm glad to hear it works fine for your animals as indeed it does for most dogs.   :) I just hate the stuff with a vengeance, though I guess you spotted that. ;D I sent two letters to the company complaining about the adverse reaction Jimmy had to it.......no reply either time ! >:(                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Worming
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2003, 12:08:09 AM »

I just hate the stuff with a vengeance

Ditto >:(

I have seen the effects of Panacur on Lottie too and it was extremely unsettling....she was in a very agitated state for quite a few hours :'(.  She is fine on Drontal.

I mentioned this to the vets who said they'd never had any complaints ???  Find that hard to believe I'm afraid :(                    
Mary & Lottie x