Author Topic: Raw bones to clean teeth  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Raw bones to clean teeth
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »
A while ago I asked for some help re cleaning Bens teeth, I've tried plaque off and the logic gel, which is really good, but seem to remember some people said they use raw bones to keep thier cockers teeth clean and would like to try a more natural approach

this is probably a silly question  ph34r but which bones and where do you get them from??? I've seen sterilised bones in our PAH are they what you mean?

My other concern is Ben sometimes guards food he really likes, which is easily solved - he just dosn't get given certain things ;) however on the odd occasion he has got what he considers to be real goodies, his solution is to get as much into his mouth as possible and this worries me more than the agression that goes with the guarding.  He ends up not being able to chew and barely able to breathe which sounds funny but is quite scary >:D It worries me that if he finds a bone a real prize can he do himself any damage with one or are they big enough not to go in in one piece ph34r ph34r  yup I feel like a fool for asking, but I'm a novice with bones :005:

Bens mum

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Raw bones to clean teeth
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:42:46 PM »
No need to feel like a fool!  ;)

You could use the sterilsed bones, but I think the ones you seen refered to are raw bones which you can get from the butchers.

If you can find a butcher who will supply you with what is termed a recreational bone then this might be the best thing for cleaning his teeth.  They are really big bones and he wouldn't be able to swallow one of those whole.
Otherwise try perhaps a pork rib.  If you choose this then I'd suggest letting Ben have it at a time and place where he won't feel the threat of it being removed. It is possible for them to try and guzzle a rib bone.  My dogs have done this if they are fed together, so I feed them their bones on their own so that they don't feel the need to ram it down their throats. I do supervise though, either being in the room or watching through the door if they are eating in the garden, just in case of a problem (yes I am paranoid  ::) ) but I don't have issues with guarding from me.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 03:18:54 PM »
To keep my dogs teeth clean I feed them raw chicken wings, lamb bones on a daily basis and I use a marrowbone weekly as a recreational bone.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:04:31 PM »
Ours have recreational raw marrow bones from our local butchers every few weeks or so- Mr Butcher is great, he sees me coming and is already chopping them up into cocker sized pieces!!  They do help keep the teeth clean.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:13:24 PM »
 ph34r ph34r ph34r  I gave Fern her first lamb bone over the weekend  ph34r ph34r ph34r  by jove she loved it and it kept her occupied for a good couple of hours  ;)

She had it out in the garden and I managed to get loads done in the garden so I could keep my eye on her with it  ;) 

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:56:20 AM »
I gave Jarvis and Lucy their first taste of anything raw last week.
It seemed to go very well, but my goodness the ribs went down so quickly! :o They did chew, perhaps not as thoroughly as i'd have liked, but everythings still working. Lucy's breath was greatly improved too, i let her give me kisses for the first time in months! :005:

Only bad part is that Jarvis did guard his. >:D so me and Lucy left him to it and watched from a distance, and i'll be hand feeding next time. ::)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 08:09:07 AM »
Before I changed Coco totally onto BARF, I used to give her raw chicken wings and the odd marrowbone to chew on - they were very good at keeping her teeth nice.  Now she is on BARF, she could do an ad for toothpaste, her teeth are so clean and white  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 06:50:30 PM »
Domino had some tartar on his large canine teeth which my vet said would have to be removed under anesthetic & I have been cleaning his teeth with Logic Oral gel but......... I've started giving the dogs chicken wings,lamb & pork bones & hey presto! - Domino has a Hollywood smile with no tartar!!!  :shades:

I still clean his teeth as he quite likes me doing it but not so regularly!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 08:53:15 PM »
thanks
I'm off to the butcher tomorrow...... ;)

Bens mum

Penel

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:01:15 PM »
Great to read such good results - lots of happy doggies around  :D

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 10:08:10 PM »
If you haven't got a Butchers near by (they seem to be few and far between these days) we have found that Morrisons sell packs of them and are pretty good if you ask the Butcher there.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:12:41 PM »
Poor Max has been deprived as I've never given him a bone  ph34r
I did pick a few of these marrow bones up whilst at Crufts - although he will go & bury them before deciding to eat them  ::)
Am I right in assuming that these won't be as effective as "real" bones?
http://www.antosuk.com/_view.php?i=10&t=Marrow%20Bones
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »
Poor Max has been deprived as I've never given him a bone  ph34r
I did pick a few of these marrow bones up whilst at Crufts - although he will go & bury them before deciding to eat them  ::)
Am I right in assuming that these won't be as effective as "real" bones?
http://www.antosuk.com/_view.php?i=10&t=Marrow%20Bones

They appear to be made of vegetables - so he may well be trying to tell you something by burying them, tbh  :shades:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Hypnopoison

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 07:11:50 AM »
I am having just the same dilemma!  I am using Hide Bones & Pedigree Dentastick things at the moment but I am not convinced that they are working.  Megan has some quite touch plaque on 1 or two of her back teeth.  I havent tried brushing yet as I know she would not take t it very well at all.

So the best thing to do is visit a butchers and get actual bones and raw meat?  Is this ok for a 7 month old puppy?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 07:40:54 AM »
So the best thing to do is visit a butchers and get actual bones and raw meat?  Is this ok for a 7 month old puppy?

Yep, if you do a search on here for BARF you will find lots of info.  I would never both with those processed thingies now.  Quite a few people have fed their dogs raw from being small pups.  If you don't want to change to BARF totally, you can just feed the odd bone but it must be raw - never give cooked bones as they are the ones that splinter.  I used to give Coco a raw chicken wing 2 or 3 times a week at first - I think I started at about 7 or 8 months and she was fine once she got the hang of what to do with it.  I bashed it with a rolling pin the first few times but once I knew that she would crunch it up properly I gave it to her whole and just kept an eye on her while she ate it.  I used to give her it after her food to start with so that she would not gobble it down too fast.  It used to take her ages to eat one - now they are gone in about a minute  ;)
Julie and Watson