Author Topic: Is Thomas overdoing things?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline michelle p

• Site Member
Is Thomas overdoing things?
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

For those of you who didnt read my last post, Thomas came to me five days ago in a terrible condition coatwise, he has now had a

(rather severe) haircut. :005: He is quite overweight, came in at an impressive 16.5kg at the vets :o thats after losing 1kg of hair!

My question is, is he doing to much? since weve had him he`s been on an hours walk twice a day, he really enjoys them. Today he was

absolutely knackered   I know with us humans

if we dont excersise for a while the day after can be quite agonising, and I dont want to push him if he is feeling any aches or pains although

he doesnt seem to be, but he has been sleeping quite a lot. Any advice please?

Thanks Michelle

ps is hair is starting to grow back already :luv:

Offline julesd

• Site Member
Re: Is Thomas overdoing things?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 01:51:23 PM »
I am certainly no expert but my experience with Teddy is that he will go on and on and doesn't stop like we would when we are shattered. Even when he had a leg injury he still wanted to be off like a mad thing. I'd be tempted to build the walks up over a period of time if Thomas is a bit overweight and unfit. (I imagine it would be a bit like me - also rather overweight and unfit - doing a marathon today with no training. Oooh I feel sore all over at the thought  :005: :005:)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 02:00:06 PM »
we took in an old and very obese cocker. our vet said that her weight was a major health issue and therefor we should start her walks at 10 mins on lead 5 times a day gradually building up to whatever we thought she could cope with. millie did have a touch of arthritis and she was about 9 or 10 years old. it didn't take very long to get her walking for an hour once a day with her little short walks continuing for a couple of months then she was more than happy to have 2  one hour walks a day and a potter to the shops down the road with me a couple of times a day too.
it is much better to gradually build up his walks rather than just thinking he will cope ;) if he is overweight it could put him off walking. millie was unable to walk to our park and back when we first got her. our park is about 200 yards from our front door.
she is sadly no longer with us but she definately more than enjoyed her walking adventures before she died :D

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »
Well, they do tend to sleep a lot when not much is going on  ::), but perhaps if he's not been used to it and he's overweight, he may be getting a little bit too much exercise :-\
I think it's quite difficult to judge because they seem to be prepared to go on forever even when they are tired ;)

Offline michelle p

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 03:00:47 PM »

Here is a picture of Thomas now, do you think he is really overweight? or just a bit chubby :005:

I am only going to give him one walk today and see how it goes, thanks for your comments they are much appreciated x

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 03:14:43 PM »
I would say from that pic he looks a little bit  :-\ o/w ! but doesn't he look happy  :luv: he's obviously enjoying the attention :005:  You should be able to feel his ribs if you run your hands over them ! 16.5kg  is quite on the heavy side but it depends on his size as well,  :huh: so  :huh:

I think if he hasn't been used to it then two or three (maybe more) short walks would be better at first, but I'm no expert really.
I'm sure you'll get some advice from other COL' ers in due course ;)

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 07:00:51 PM »
Hi there

...Thomas looks really happy !!!

Saffy is a rescue dog and came to us at 19kg (that's after removal of the coat)  :o  she hadn't been exercised for around 10 months we think, and she was almost 6 years old.  Our vet said to take things llittle and often rather than long hikes right away.  Saffy was up for a walk any time we liked, but we did build up her stamina  gradually.  As we got her in the  April we had only a few weeks left of cooler weather before the summer kicks in (we live in Malta), but time enough to get her well on her way to a good exercise routine.   :D  If you are near a beach at all, that is apparently very good for their unused muscle and to tone up.  We found the weight just fell away.  Most of all she so enjoys her walks - I'm sure you will both settle to a good routine   :lol:

...oh, and the coat does grow back - quicker than we'd imagined  :lol:

best of luck :luv:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 07:09:27 PM »
 ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
If you can afford it hydrotherapy is very good for them as well --- the pools are warmish so better for them

I'd do may be 3 short walks a day if you can --- little and often
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 02:42:35 PM »
If you can afford it hydrotherapy is very good for them as well --- the pools are warmish so better for them

you may be able to claim it back on insurance. We had hdyro for hurley after his op and claimed 20 sessions back through the insurance. I guess it all depends on the Ts&Cs of your insurance policy.
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 05:49:20 PM »

you may be able to claim it back on insurance. We had hdyro for hurley after his op and claimed 20 sessions back through the insurance. I guess it all depends on the Ts&Cs of your insurance policy.

Don't think you can if its for weight loss
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!