Author Topic: possible balanitis?  (Read 5783 times)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
possible balanitis?
« on: July 04, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »
I was trimming Aidee's undercarriage last night and noticed some greenish/yellow discharge from his willy. Its not inflammed and he's not frantically licking at it, but do you think its the start of balanitis?
George and Linus occasionally have a little bit of discharge, but only tiny amounts that just make 'willy marks' ::). But I cleaned up quite a lot from Aidee's bits and there's quite a bit more this morning....vet visit methinks ::)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline helen1

• Site Member
Re: possible balanitis?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »
Bailey was at vets on Friday to have anal glands squooze and asked the vet the same question and was told its semen, and not to worry. ;)
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 10:23:16 AM »
No help I'm afraid......I have laydees  ;)
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
If the discharge is green or pus-like in colour, and makes his fur damp/sticky a few hours after you have cleaned him, or if it has any form of smell to it then I would get him checked out by the vet, tbh; treated early it tends to clear up with no problems, but when it becomes established, it can be a nightmare to get rid of  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 10:48:53 AM »
If the discharge is green or pus-like in colour, and makes his fur damp/sticky a few hours after you have cleaned him, or if it has any form of smell to it then I would get him checked out by the vet, tbh; treated early it tends to clear up with no problems, but when it becomes established, it can be a nightmare to get rid of  :-\

It doesn't smell , but does make his hair sticky.

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
Alfie had recurrent balanitis last year and oh my doG the smell was disgusting  ph34r  He was also frantically licking and cleaning himself every 30 seconds and the discharge was yellowy green in colour and there was a LOT of it... I had to bin several throws and blankets while he was being treated for it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 01:02:12 PM »
The prostate gland in the penis (and other glads, too) produce the seminal fluid that the tadpoles (spermatozoa) swim in - when dogs(or other animals) are neutered, the testis that produce the sperm are removed, but the glands are uneffected - hence the term "firing blanks"  :lol:

Alfie had recurrent balanitis last year and oh my doG the smell was disgusting  ph34r  He was also frantically licking and cleaning himself every 30 seconds and the discharge was yellowy green in colour and there was a LOT of it... I had to bin several throws and blankets while he was being treated for it.

Nicola, it was your experience with Alfie and post about it that made me realise when Molo had it - but his was never as severe; he wasn't cleaning himself any more than normal really, and the only reason I noticed it was because his hair underneath was stuck together when I groomed him  :-\

Edited to correct a brunette moment  ph34r
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »

Alfie had recurrent balanitis last year and oh my doG the smell was disgusting  ph34r  He was also frantically licking and cleaning himself every 30 seconds and the discharge was yellowy green in colour and there was a LOT of it... I had to bin several throws and blankets while he was being treated for it.

Annette, it was your experience with Alfie and post about it that made me realise when Molo had it - but his was never as severe; he wasn't cleaning himself any more than normal really, and the only reason I noticed it was because his hair underneath was stuck together when I groomed him  :-\

I'm glad I helped but my name's Nicola, not Annette  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:07:36 PM »

Annette, it was your experience with Alfie and post about it that made me realise when Molo had it - but his was never as severe; he wasn't cleaning himself any more than normal really, and the only reason I noticed it was because his hair underneath was stuck together when I groomed him  :-\

I'm glad I helped but my name's Nicola, not Annette  :005:

I have no idea why I called you Annette - sorry to you both  ph34r ph34r
Oldies Club

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 01:30:21 PM »
well just back from lunch...

It definately does not smell, but there is quite a bit of it. Aidee is not at all bothered with it and just spent the whole time I was at home charging around and trying to get my sandwich ::) George and Linus had had the bin out again, so it was a manic lunch time. I think I will ring my vets and ask for some fone advice later and take him in tomorrow if they think I need to.

I'm not too worried, but its the amount of discharge thats making me wonder it might be the start of an infection or its something to do with adolesence I've not noticed in my others ph34r

Cazzie

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 02:19:42 PM »
It is caused by infection  :blink:

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 02:33:59 PM »
It is caused by infection  :blink:

yeah yeah I know balanitis is a yeast infection ;)...what I mean is..is the discharge an adolesent thing and not an infection cos it doesn't smell :-\

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Lisa, take a look under his bed. If he has a stash of naughty magazines under there then that's your answer!

Other than that, if it doesn't smell, and you don't have a cold with a bunged up nose, thenit's probably not an infection but just keep cleaning the area and see how it goes.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »
Lisa, take a look under his bed. If he has a stash of naughty magazines under ther then that's your answer!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My girls like to lay on their backs posing for Playdog centerfolds!  ph34r :005:

Is Aidee having adolescent wet dreams?  :005: I seem to remember some of my males going through a phase of leaving little splotches on the furniture  >:(
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »
Lisa, take a look under his bed. If he has a stash of naughty magazines under there then that's your answer!

:lol: :lol: 

I agree with what Annette says though, if there's no smell then I wouldn't rush to the vet just yet, they told me that that's one of the main signs that there's an infection there and you could have smelled Alfie from 100 yards  ph34r