Author Topic: After Colitis  (Read 1682 times)

Offline rebecca

• Site Member
  • Brewster
After Colitis
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
took brewster to the vets on friday after he's had  very loose stools and  a bit sick since tuesday, (we'd put it down to his worming tablet on monday), but when he still had the runs on friday morning, i took him
vet said probably colitis, he'd lost 1 kg since monday! gave him an anti inflammetry injection, metronidazole tablets , some paste to line his walls, and rehydration powder, and said to feed him chicken and rice, which he LOVES! but, since his last runny poo early friday morning, he hasn't been for a poo!! should i be worried (i am!!) thank you in advance, as i know so many of you are so kind in answering questions x

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: After Colitis
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »
Metronidazole is an oral synthetic antiprotozoal and antibacterial agent, so that's unlikely to make him constipated, although it would clear up any bacterial infection that would cause loose and runny stools.  The chicken and rice would help to bind him so perhaps that's why he hasn't passed anything.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:29:37 PM »
Metronidazole is an oral synthetic antiprotozoal and antibacterial agent, so that's unlikely to make him constipated, although it would clear up any bacterial infection that would cause loose and runny stools.  The chicken and rice would help to bind him so perhaps that's why he hasn't passed anything.

..and it is a drug that has awful side effects on people let alone dogs.  If you can minimise it's use I would, and I would also check out Dennyk's threads on colitis - she had awful problems with her dog with Colitis and since visiting a homeopathic vet and changing Paddy  onto BARF she has a changed and very happy boy  :lol:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 04:29:27 PM »
Metronidazole is an antibiotic and the full course of treatment must be taken.  It should be taken as directed, and only discontinued if undesirable side effects are noticed. In which case these should be reported to the vet.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 06:21:54 PM »
Metronidazole is an antibiotic and the full course of treatment must be taken.  It should be taken as directed, and only discontinued if undesirable side effects are noticed. In which case these should be reported to the vet.

...and it's one that my vet has a note of NOT to ever give my dog...there are other anti-biotics and other forms of treatment that are far easier on the system.

Please watch your pup's reaction and take him back to the vets if he has any side effects (especially neurological) Of course he may be absolutely fine  :D

just for your reference:

http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=572&t

helen & jarvis x

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 07:18:11 PM »
Neurotoxicity following prolonged therapy is most often related to cumulative dose and duration of treatment.

Most canines who develop neurologic signs secondary to metronidazole administration have received weeks to months of therapy

It seems that untoward side effects occur after prolonged usage and fairly large doses.  It's a relatively safe drug for human use with very rare serious side effects.  Obviously, many drugs react differently with canines and other animals, so it cannot be assumed automatically that what is safe for humans is necessarily suitable for animals.  However, the prescribing vet would surely have taken this into account and the tablets should be taken for the full course.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 11:34:31 PM »
it is used widely as said in that article, so with some vets it's an automatic prescription.    I  personally would not use it on myself or my animals and knowing how my dog reacts to some anti-biotics  then this is something I choose to avoid.

Colitis can be caused by bacterial infections such as Giardia which is why I assume anti-b's have been prescribed.  When my dog had HG and was on a drip for 36 hours we discussed treatment fully, and we used a broader spectrum anti-biotic and not Metronidazole as my vet thought it would only exacerbate the problem.

I'm not a fan of pumping drugs into my dog, especially endless courses of anti-biotics.

Rebecca, your dog has probably been to the toilet by now, the chicken and rice should have helped firm him up :D  Colitis is a condition that can be caused by a number of gut problems, so the wormer could be a contributing factor.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 02:02:56 AM »
Is he just on chicken & rice still? If so that probably explains why he's not going to the toilet as everything in chicken & rice is absorbed by the body and there is miniscule wastage. I suspect once he's off it he'll start to toilet again.

Offline rebecca

• Site Member
  • Brewster
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 10:08:43 AM »
thank you all, he has still not been to the toilet yet, but he's back onto his jwb, so hopefully any time now he'll be ready to go!! i think i will finish the course of anti B, but i will look into homeopathic ways if he is ever ill again
thanks everyone, i shall report back when he finally goes!!!

Offline Snoodydoody

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 07:20:46 PM »
My Truda was prescribed Metronidazole when she had colitis not so long back and what a state she was in  :'(.  I took her off them after about 4 days and I'd advised the vet what I had done to which he agreed.

The vet did say that she was the first one he knew about to react to these antibiotics, so every dog is different I suppose.

When my Moo-Moo had the dreaded colitis not so long after Truda (then Chloe got it...........the fish and rice went through it in my house for about a good 6 weeks!) the vet automatically produced a box of Metronidazole, to which I politely said that I'd rather him not have them. 
He did get better however, on fish and rice 4 times a day.

Heather.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 08:42:51 PM »
I would also check out Dennyk's threads on colitis - she had awful problems with her dog with Colitis and since visiting a homeopathic vet and changing Paddy  onto BARF she has a changed and very happy boy  :lol:

I would urge you to do this, Barney was diagnosed with colitis last month and Denise has been a great help to me. I can forward this on to you if you like. I already feed BARF but with her advice Barney has improved so much and has turned into a happy chappy.  :D 
He had a bout of sickness and diarrhea Feb/March time which was prolonged. At the time the vet didn't suggested colitis although it had been mentioned to me by a friend. Since then Barney just hasn't been himself, very quiet and sleeps an awful lot and there are times when I'd think he'd be in the thick of it and I turn to see him in his bed. I couldn't say there was anything specifically wrong, he was eating fine, toileting fine but just wasn't himself.
After the treatment from the vet and tweeking his BARF diet he's a changed dog, so much happier.  :luv:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline rebecca

• Site Member
  • Brewster
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 11:04:37 PM »
Finally, after 4 days now, Brewster has been for a poo!!! back on his JWB kibble, and wolfing it down(though might have a struggle as he has loved the chicken and rice!)
He is just about back his normal happy self, just a little sleepy which i  am putting down to the tablets
Merry Christmas everyone
Rebecca and Brewster xx

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 06:19:09 PM »
Aww so pleased to hear he is feeling better  :D  ..enjoy your chrissy  :luv: x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"