Author Topic: What would you do (another phantom pregnancy)....  (Read 2178 times)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
What would you do (another phantom pregnancy)....
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
Melody was 2 in November and had her 3rd season in November.  A couple of months after every season she's had a phantom pregnancy.  She lactates, her teats/boobs (for want of a better word!) get big pink, heavy and warmer than the rest of her (she got mastitis the last time).  She paces and isn't really sure whats going on. 

Her actual season doesn't particularly bother her, she keeps herself very clean and we still get out and about because we're lucky enough to live in a village with a small population of dogs.  Compared to a phantom pregnancy she sails through her season.

The vet has spoken to me a number of times about having her speyed but I've never thought of it being an option before.  I do know that we will absolutely never breed from Melly though.

I suppose I'm thinking out loud asking about this, she was lying at my feet and I just noticed her teats are swollen again and she's started pacing  ::)  Just about the right time to be having another phantom.

Is it normal for to have a phantom after every season?  Should I have her speyed??  I know its not something to consider lightly but I'd be very interested on your views ;)

Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Cazzie

Re: What would you do (another phantom pregnancy)....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »
Wee sole  :luv: Id have her speyed without a doubt if it was my dog  :D

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »
I know I feel bad for her but I don't mollycoddle her too much - that'd probably only make her worse.  I put on my best cheerful voice and we go out and about and I remove her cuddly toys otherwise she babies them  :luv:

I've got herbal supplements I give her and pulsatilla etc but surely she shouldn't have to go through this after every season?? 

I've only ever had boy dogs before, can you tell (I've got Book of the Bitch & I'll have a read through later for more answers but I'm going out in a mo and I wanted to see what you lot think  ;) :D)
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »
Wee sole  :luv: Id have her speyed without a doubt if it was my dog  :D

Agree with Dunbarney, it can't be pleasant for the poor girl.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »
Having lost one girl at 6 (she got mammary cancer at 4) I would definitely have her spayed.  Kali only had one season before she was spayed and she had to wait because of a phantom pregnancy :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 02:57:28 PM »
Most definitely have her speyed without a moments hesitation.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »
Thanks for your replies ;)  I've got to go to work now (and I'm late  ::)) so I'll be back on after 6pm.  Sorry to post & run  :005:

Mairi & Melody
Melody

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 03:02:09 PM »
It is normal to have a phantom after every season, but some girls suffer with more symptoms and distress than others. Mine have very mild effects, their teats swell a little but no milk is ever produced and they never pick up teddies and carry them like pups etc. I have had a dog in the past who did this after every season.
It works best in the wild as if a mother is killed the other females would be able to nuture and feed the abandoned pups so they would not die, but not so useful when you have a single dog. I'd weigh up how her reaction is and whether she may be better if she were spayed.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »
I would also have her spayed. I would get a bitch spayed as a matter of course though for health reasons, I have double standards about neutering dogs and bitches!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 05:33:20 PM »
Hmmm Mairi, as you know I have this probelm with Indie too, who will be 5 in April, trouble is its not always an option to spay a dog that suffers with phantoms.  It can make surgery a little trickier, everything inside softens when they are having phantomns and this can cause problems in having the operation done, sutures may not hold and they can easily bleed.  Not trying to frighten you in any way, just giving my view on it, both vets that Indie has seen, are a little worried to spay her within a few months of her seasons, we are now hoping to get her an injection to stop the next season coming and then have her spayed in the comfort of knowing that everything inside should be normal.

I know how hard it is, as Indie has always suffered this, and I have been putting off her getting spayed as I have just been too frightened of the risk.

Hope Mellys ok :luv:

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »
Thanks everyone  :D

Its good to hear another bitch owner's point of view because if I chat to my vet about it she'll want Melody booked in for the op straight away.  Emma I know you've had the same thing with Indie so thanks for your reply, it may be something to consider for Melody. 

I obviously don't want to do anything to compromise Melody's health and thankfully other than this she is perfectly healthy but am I compromising her health leaving her like this?

I'm going to research a bit further and have a chat with the vet and see what we can come up with.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:38 PM »
I have just noticed this with Ellie. Her boobs are very swollen and feel hot she started her 2nd season 27th oct, could this be a sign of a phantom I thought it would have happened before now. I was going to book her in to be spayed february. I couldn't have her done after her first as she was poorly she also got swollen boobs after the first one, and dropped her coat though she hasn't produced any milk or behaved any differently. I have them both booked into the vets thursday morning, Sasha for her booster so I'll let the vet take a look at ellie and see what he says.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:06 PM »
sorry I'd have to say Spay as well because its the kindest thing to do.  I have never heard of it being normal to have phantoms after every season none of my bitches have ever had a phantom and touch wood they wouldn't.

The only thing you really can do is take away anything they are using to nest, any items they are using for substitute babies, cut their food down to as low a protein diet as possible and up the exercise.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »
Sorry to hear Melody has had another phantom. Its not something I've ever experienced with my dogs (all girls) but if it happened to one of mine, I'd have her speyed. I'm probably going to have my two pups speyed after their first seasons. Its something I'm really not going to look forward to  :'( but I don't think I'd ever want to breed pups and don't want the risk of Mammary Cancer, Phantoms etc.

It works best in the wild as if a mother is killed the other females would be able to nuture and feed the abandoned pups so they would not die
- very interesting, I'd not heard that before.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 06:35:15 PM »
Yes Ellie is having a phantom too and is now producing milk. Vet said not to let her have any toys, give her plenty of exercise and reduce her food. She is only a little thing only just over 9kilos. They said it will last a couple of weeks didn't give her any meds. Will have to see how she goes to get her spayed before her next season. I think they said it will have to be at least 2 months before her season is due.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.