Author Topic: update on sams castration, he's got an infection.  (Read 5698 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
update on sams castration, he's got an infection.
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
and i'm really nervous!! :'( can any7one give us any7 advice as to how we can cope with the first few days. we've borrowed a crate and have introduced it to him over the past few day7s. he's been an angel. i only want to use the crate when we're here to stop him jumping up.  :luv:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: sams being castrated in the morning
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »
Buddy had his done at the same time as his lip folds so I have very little idea of of what to attribute to each procedure.

All I do know is that the vet was much more worried about him licking the castration sutures than any damage he might do to his lips even though my gut instinct was the opposite!

I hope it all goes well for Sam tomorrow. He will forgive you eventually ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:06:46 PM »
Braan was done earlier this month - don't worry Sam will be fine  :D Just don't be too soft on him (like I was) and not have the buster collar on, I fell asleep and he took his own stitches out  ::) (Thankfully it was about day 6 and he had healed really well) - Totally my fault as he didn't like the buster collar and I felt bad putting it on him  ph34r

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »
Aww he'll be fine Fran. I know Alfie is a bit of a bionic dog but he was castrated last November and he came bouncing out of the vets like he'd only been in to have his claws clipped. He didn't need a collar or to be crated. He was a bit snoozy that night but was firing on all cylinders again the following morning. He was back to his normal walks from that day or he'd have driven me nuts  ph34r  I just stuck his equafleece on and kept him out of heavy cover and water for a few days but other than that he was all systems go. He also only had a tiny tiny wound and one stitch which he didn't bother with at all. Give Sam a hug from me and try not to worry too much  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »
He also only had a tiny tiny wound and one stitch which he didn't bother with at all. Give Sam a hug from me and try not to worry too much  :luv:

If i ever have another dog I want the name of your vets - Braan had 4 stitches  :-\

Offline cfordham2710

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »

He might walk a bit funny for a little while, but he will be back to normal in no time. 

Clare

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »
He also only had a tiny tiny wound and one stitch which he didn't bother with at all. Give Sam a hug from me and try not to worry too much  :luv:

If i ever have another dog I want the name of your vets - Braan had 4 stitches  :-\

why on earth was i expecting millions of them then?? ph34r

i've to drop him off 8.30 by which time i know he'll be starving!!! he eats 6.15 every morning and goes mad if we're late :005:

wish i hadn't decided to paint to keep mself occupaied though. started stripping wall paper and have got to far to change my7 mind, but have got ages left ::)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 06:21:19 PM »
He also only had a tiny tiny wound and one stitch which he didn't bother with at all. Give Sam a hug from me and try not to worry too much  :luv:

i've to drop him off 8.30 by which time i know he'll be starving!!! he eats 6.15 every morning and goes mad if we're late :005:

wish i hadn't decided to paint to keep mself occupaied though. started stripping wall paper and have got to far to change my7 mind, but have got ages left ::)

Maybe it's an "endowment issue"?? :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Buddy only had one stitch too.

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 06:25:20 PM »

Maybe it's an "endowment issue"?? :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Buddy only had one stitch too.

i have major issues with him manliness :005: no squating or humping, OH keeps teases me so i keep trying to defend him :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:45:20 PM »
good luck for tomorrow sammy (fran you need to stock up on really nice things to eat  .....for you while you wait for him  :luv: :luv: )
helen & jarvis x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow Sammy. I had 2 done in the past few months and they were absolutely fine. Mine got their wounds glued and didn't bother with them at all.

Get him some yummy chicken for afters to make up for missing his brekkie  :005:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure Sam will be fine.  Murphy was an he's the biggest wuss walking!

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:30:33 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure Sam will be fine.  Murphy was an he's the biggest wuss walking!

:005: :005:that's how OH would describe sam :005:

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »
 :D Kasper has his op recently and to be honest other than being a bit woozy and wobbly when we first brought him home he was fine, as highlighted before he only has a very small wound and only one stitch. The thing that upset him most was the Lampshade they put on his head, but after a day or two of crashing into things he even became accustomed to wearing that.

I know you will probably be feeling really awful when you drop him off tomorrow but try not to worry too much, he will most likely be home by lunch time xx

Cazzie

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:06:07 PM »
and i'm really nervous!! :'( can any7one give us any7 advice as to how we can cope with the first few days. we've borrowed a crate and have introduced it to him over the past few day7s. he's been an angel. i only want to use the crate when we're here to stop him jumping up.  :luv:

I can understand you nervousness, I was very worried about all of mine going in for surgery  :'( BUT I will say that Goose being a boy really surprised me as he did not look as wabbit and sore as the girls, he looked exactly the same as he did when I dropped him off. He was very very swollen and I freeked  :o I was back on the phome to the vets the minit I got home  ::) They did assure me it was normal  :shades:

He had a week on lead walks, no major leaping and no stitches to come out so all was well that ended well, thank goodness for me  :005:

Your wee man will be fine and try not to worry ( rich coming from me)  :005: Keep us posted as to how he is and give him a huge kiss from the furries here  :-*