Author Topic: High ALT levels  (Read 5835 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« on: March 18, 2004, 09:06:18 AM »
Indies blood tests were *odd* as his ALT level was high for a puppy. The normal range was 8.-75. and his was 86. I've done some looking on google,and this seems to be indicative of a liver problem, so I'm worried.

Does anyone have experience of this, elevated levels?

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

High ALT levels
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 10:34:41 AM »
What did your vet say? As good as the internet is it can give worrying results which may not relate to your circumstances especially in the absence of other factors.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
High ALT levels
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 10:38:35 AM »
I do have experience of a bitch with elevated ALT levels but she was a very ill dog in liver failure at the time with all the physical symptoms you would expect. Like Penny says, you need to discuss this with your vet - it could be nothing to worry about at all (we all frighten ourselves to death sometimes by reading internet sites though!)                    
Jane

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:45:05 AM »
The vet said it could be indicative of a liver problem, and wants to repeat the test. I know I shouldn't read those things online, I just felt yesterday was so emotionally overwrought that I didn't get the chance to speak properly with the vet. He sort of mentioned it at the end of the conversation, while I was holding Indie, and I wanted to just go home at that point, so I didn't ask all the correct things, I suppose.

Thanks guys. I've made an appoitment for tomorrow, so we can repeat the tests then. One good thing - the bill for yesterday was over 200 pounds, and will be even more by all the check ups etc, so my husband is very glad I made him take out the insurance.

I'm just worried sick to be honest, I also wonder at the point of putting him through this surgery if he's ill and in pain anyway.

Shona :cry:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:56:52 AM »
:( Aww Shona, you have done the right thing love :)   I would have done the same, if that helps :?   I would wait for the repeat tests and see what your vet says!

Sometimes what you see on the net is worst case scenario, it could be something thats easily sorted, so try and not worry too much.  Thinking of you :)                    

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 12:53:23 PM »
Wishing you lots of love and best wishes - this must be such a worry for you. I am sure Indie will be just fine though, how is he today? Hopefully milking all the extra attention!
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
High ALT levels
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 01:17:51 PM »
Try not to worry too much Shona - the liver is an amazing organ & can often repair itself even if there is a problem like an infection or something. Hopefully it's nothing too serious & your vet will be able to put your mind at rest soon.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 09:25:01 PM »
Hi Shona

Just wanted to wish you and Indie good luck for tomorrow - I'm sure he'll be fine.  I've vowed never to go searching for things like that on the internet again after worrying myself sick for a week that Morgan had KSC and it turned out to be just a grass seed - much relief but a lot of unnecesssary stress  :wink:   :D   Let us know how it goes  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
High ALT levels
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 10:26:37 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow Shona.  When Vegas was 6 months, one of his liver enzymes came back high(can't remember which one) but I was told it was sometimes seen in young dogs and no need to worry. :? (even though worry is my middle name :wink: ). Hopefully your mind will be put to rest tomorrow - let us know how he gets on.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
High ALT levels
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 11:06:15 PM »
Good Luck with Indie Shona.....feel awful for you thats the second time I've written that this week  :( But as the others have said try not to worry too much...thats easy for me to say I know  :wink:                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
High ALT levels
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 01:01:13 PM »
All the best with Indie Shona.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 01:27:20 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow Shona.  When Vegas was 6 months, one of his liver enzymes came back high(can't remember which one) but I was told it was sometimes seen in young dogs and no need to worry. :? (even though worry is my middle name :wink: ). Hopefully your mind will be put to rest tomorrow - let us know how he gets on.

Oh, Gill, thankyou, I hope it's the same for us. I'm leaving for the vets soon,

Shona x                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 01:29:11 PM »
Emma, Jane, Shirley,Gilly and Dessie = thanks for your support, you have no idea how much better it's made me feel. I go back to the vets at 2.30pm today, so I'm going to talk to them at length and gets these teste repeated.

Many thanks

Shona xx                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 03:07:27 PM »
Well, we just got the best news ever! The vet checked again, and said this is a miniscule rise, and he'd stake his reputation (I trust him!) on this being due to a steroid injection Indie got while suffering gastroenteritis 6 or so weeks ago! He says his other levels were all fine, and he's perfectly convinced we'll get a perfect level when we retest in 4 weeks!

Thanks for all your support, I can enjoy my boy again, I feel so relieved! His eye is healing well too, lol, but I can't believe this good news!

Off to crack open the champers tonight!

Shona :lol:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
High ALT levels
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 03:09:20 PM »
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

AWWWW Shona I am delighted for you!!!!!

Thats brilliant news 8)