Author Topic: spinal surgery ?  (Read 5485 times)

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
Re: spinal surgery ?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »
Sending healing Hugs to Meg, for a really speedy recovery, hope she is doing well (((hugs)))  :luv:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 06:41:56 PM »
Thanks to everyone again! Its is so re-assuring to hear that they can recover. And I hadn't thought about padding up the car for the journey home, so that's a really good idea - thank you from Meggy !
Annie G

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »
jeeves- ,the vets dont prepare you for the shock of seeing the dog after the op ,do they ,my oh and i looked at kizzy and thought ,shes paralized, thats it  but they just come on so quickly it amazed us ,though kizz was in the vets  for 8 days,--octopus, as i said on PM, i know what a shock it is,dont hesitate to ask questions,and the physio is pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it, so dont worry about that,regards  julie

Julie, you are absolutely right.  When we went to collect Parker after the ops (but especially the second one) I was not prepared at all for the sight that greeted me.  It was awful and I really thought Parker was going to die.  However, dogs have unbelieveable powers of recovery.

As for packing the car for the journey home, yes, it is a must.  I filled the car with duvets and pillows and took a chum down with me who sat in the back supporting Parker and reassuring him.

Best of luck for Meg - she'll be fine! :D
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 08:40:45 PM »
Well Meg is home and I guess we ahve a long way to go . Thanks to everyone who has wished us well, and for all of those who have shared their personal stories. It does look scary at the moment, but am hopefull she will be enjoying her walks again someday soon. Thanks from me and Meggy too.
Annie G

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 09:15:33 PM »
aw bless, you probably have the worst bit to get through right now, but I'm sure you'll be fine  :blink:

keep us up to date  ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 06:49:02 PM »
Thanks. Not much progress at present. Poor Meggy is not functioning at all around her rear end....and is wetting etc . We had  abad day yesterday, but today she spent a lot of time in the garden lying in the sun, and we both feel better for that. We are seeing the vet again on Monday, and she is booked in for hydro afterwards. Fingers crossed she will improve as the days go on.
Annie G

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
Re the wetting - how about speaking to the vet about catheterising her?  We had to do this with Parker for the first few days.  It might help to keep her dry and it's not as scary as you might think!  (And I'll bet it's a lot easier to catheterise a lady than a gentleman :o!!)
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 06:44:07 AM »
its going to take a good few  weeks,kizzy would pee outside ,but if i didnt catch her in time she would have an accident at first, fingers crossed once she starts feeling her toes it gets better (in kizzy case ) i remember the vet was a little worried because kiz toes kept turning like she was walking on her knuckles and vet told me to keep correcting her, at times i felt like i was getting nowhere, and at first if i let her hold her own weight she just sort of toppled over ,but the first time she took a step was amazing, i phoned my OH shouting "she walked ,she walked", try and stay positive, regards  -julie
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »
Everything you say is absolutely right! Today I stood her and she took her own weight for a few seconds unaided..I could hardly believe it. It gives you such a different perspective. Perhaps it's just as well they don't tell you how bad it will be beforehand?
Annie G

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 09:39:21 AM »
The fact they have let your doggy home is a really good sign.  It is so good to hear of stories where this surgery has got dogs walking again. We went through this last year with our 6 year old cocker, but he never showed any signs of improvement, so the situation sounds different.  Marmy had lost the use of his bladder and even after a few weeks had a total lack of signs of reflexes or any movement sadly (with hydro). He also went off his food and became aggressive, which was completely out of character.  You have some great signs, and I'll be watching to hear how you are getting on.  It is a complete shock when you first see them after the op. I remember carrying him in and not realising how serious it was. The vet was so confident and reassured me he had done this op hundreds of times. When you go in after and see them it really hits you.   From the sounds of the others' experiences, and with a lot of dedication and patience, I am sure things will go well for you.  Sorry to share a sadder experience, but I just wanted to say that it has helped me to hear these stories because I always wondered if we had done the right thing having the op, and I feel so happy for you that you have your dog home.  It is great she held her weight.  Lets hope the sun stays shining, she'll love lying out in that.

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »
Just come back on here and saw this thread.....

So sorry to hear about your little girl, wishing you all the best in her recovery.

I had a simular experience with my Laney 3 years ago when she was 5.  Just missed paralysing her back legs.  Fortunately for her she did not require surgery but she has since had a big problem with leaking urine since....obviously post surgery you are going to experience this due to discomfort in that area....hopefully this will rectify as she improves....If, and i hope this isn't the case, this continues my i suggest acupunture.

Laney's incontience was only controlled, and i use the word loosely, by very high doses of Rimadyl anti-imflamatory which i wasn't happy about doing but i thought of quality over quantity of life. 6 months ago a vet at work qualified in acupunture and she hasn't looked back!  She intially and 4 weekly sessions to which i didn't see any improvement at first but after the 3rd she was definately better and her whinging was greatly decreased (Laney has always be a whinger when in discomfort ph34r) then she has 2 once a month sessions and now she's down to every 3 months.....the vet is so chuffed and i'm over the moon! :D

Even better is that i've almost got her weaned of the rimadyl!!!

Just food for thought for you and everyone else, if any of you have as much luck as Laney i'll be over the moon for you all!!

Love and good luck.....oh and gentle hugs to your baby

Tori and LAney xx
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »
How is Meg doing today?

We've been thinking of you! :D

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »
I've just caught this thread and wishing Meg the best of luck in her recovery. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »
Thanks for everyones good wishes.The good news is that Meg has begun to stand on her own for w f ew seconds and is trying to walk. We went to see the surgeon who removed her stiches, then saw the Physio, who did some ultrasound and hydrotherapy. She ha sanother appt next week for more hydro etc. Its only in the last 24 hours that she has begun weithbearing. She is back on antibiotics for  cystitis. It is wonderful progress but I feel a heavy responsibility now to make sure she continues  - I don't want to et her down. In  herself she is very good. Really trying her best. will keep you up-to -date, inbetween physio!
Thanks Anne
Annie G

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
Thanks for everyones good wishes.The good news is that Meg has begun to stand on her own for w f ew seconds and is trying to walk. We went to see the surgeon who removed her stiches, then saw the Physio, who did some ultrasound and hydrotherapy. She ha sanother appt next week for more hydro etc. Its only in the last 24 hours that she has begun weithbearing. She is back on antibiotics for  cystitis. It is wonderful progress but I feel a heavy responsibility now to make sure she continues  - I don't want to et her down. In  herself she is very good. Really trying her best. will keep you up-to -date, inbetween physio!
Thanks Anne

Wow what great signs.  I am so pleased for you.  The hydro is great because they have that freedom to move again in the water.  This is such a tough time for you, but you are not going to let her down, all she needs is your attention and love and she sounds like she is getting that in spades.  I am so pleased she is well in herself that's great  You'll look back on this time and wonder how you managed. Make sure you are taking care of yourself too.